3BF

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
We've already bailed... PacCup prep continues with no breaks allowed. locking floorboards anyone? Emergency steering?

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
I will be making the start. Did a bit of work on the motor (Bob J's suggestion of using the looms over the oil pipes is clever).  planning on lighten the boat up a lot rather than sail it condo style.  Going with 5 sails - including the a-sail & spinnaker. will try to dive on friday afternoon depending on work. still waiting for the dakota power box to be delivered for the auto helm so i don't have to use house batteries.

attachment.php

attachment.php

BobJ

Super Anarchist
We've already bailed... PacCup prep continues with no breaks allowed. locking floorboards anyone? Emergency steering?
Same here - PacCup prep instead of drifting around in the ebb.  That and despite 283+ entries, I would be scored against just one other boat and am ineligible for the overall race or season - because I added a motor to one of my cabin top winches.  The SSS, which used to be inclusive, has lost its way.

Floorboards lock down and e-steering is done.  I'm working on solar panels/controllers and replacing all the old drain hoses under the cockpit, etc!

Last edited by a moderator:

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
I will be making the start. Did a bit of work on the motor (Bob J's suggestion of using the looms over the oil pipes is clever).  planning on lighten the boat up a lot rather than sail it condo style.  Going with 5 sails - including the a-sail & spinnaker. will try to dive on friday afternoon depending on work. still waiting for the dakota power box to be delivered for the auto helm so i don't have to use house batteries.

good luck. go the Pretty Penny!

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Cool, a true fiasco with 300+ boats floating around in the bay with no wind. It will be fun!

Talking about fun: maybe those grumpy salts should take a digital citizenship course before posting their frustrations in the chat during the skippers meeting. It seems a bit disrespectful to post comments about wasting your time, while these folks are volunteering their free time so that we all can have fun racing....

Let me know how this oil pipe wrap works for you. I'm going through the same issue.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Let me know how this oil pipe wrap works for you. I'm going through the same issue.
sure will. 2 hours under motor to the start will test the looms vs warm oil pipes heat. I made a reminder and added to the log book to replace the seals in the water pump as often as the impeller or at least every year with a mild descaling.

BobJ

Super Anarchist
Some (maybe all) split loom is heat-resistant.  Just make sure you put the split on the bottom, as best you can given the bends.

I was on the third set of oil pipes on my 1GM when I tried this.  Several years later it was still fine.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Some (maybe all) split loom is heat-resistant.  Just make sure you put the split on the bottom, as best you can given the bends.

I was on the third set of oil pipes on my 1GM when I tried this.  Several years later it was still fine.
I missed the original thread, what's the loom protecting?  (Sorry 3BFers, big ebb, but the breeze forecast is looking a "little" better, 5-6 rather than 2-4)

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
 I would be scored against just one other boat and am ineligible for the overall race or season - because I added a motor to one of my cabin top winches.  The SSS, which used to be inclusive, has lost its way.
If I am not mistaken you have a choice: if you do not use the motor during the race  you will not be excluded from the non-motorized section. 

I doubt you will need any assist on your winches this time. 

BobJ

Super Anarchist
I missed the original thread, what's the loom protecting?  (Sorry 3BFers, big ebb, but the breeze forecast is looking a "little" better, 5-6 rather than 2-4)
The oil pipe that's directly under the wimpy little raw water pump on the 1GM.

BobJ

Super Anarchist
If I am not mistaken you have a choice: if you do not use the motor during the race  you will not be excluded from the non-motorized section. 

I doubt you will need any assist on your winches this time. 
True, and I did that for the last two years.  But now that our ratings are subject to adjustment for the winches, the SSS needs to stop penalizing the powered-winch boats a second time by excluding them from the perpetuals, season championship and the ability to be scored against the boats we used to share divisions with.  NorCal PHRF made it clear that this was not their intent when they wrote the powered-winch rule last year.

So I'm "representing" (or trying to).

Oh and if you have to anchor against the ebb, and have a larger boat with a powered windlass, pull that anchor by hand or you'll get scored separately!

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
True, and I did that for the last two years.  But now that our ratings are subject to adjustment for the winches, the SSS needs to stop penalizing the powered-winch boats a second time by excluding them from the perpetuals, season championship and the ability to be scored against the boats we used to share divisions with.  NorCal PHRF made it clear that this was not their intent when they wrote the powered-winch rule last year.

So I'm "representing" (or trying to).

Oh and if you have to anchor against the ebb, and have a larger boat with a powered windlass, pull that anchor by hand or you'll get scored separately!
Ok, I see. Well, I would take it up with them and ask them about their intent. In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience with them it seems to me they listen to folks. 

BobJ

Super Anarchist
Ok, I see. Well, I would take it up with them and ask them about their intent. In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience with them it seems to me they listen to folks. 
You mean the SSS board?  If so, I did.  Their answer was vague but the gist was they think PHRF isn't doing enough.  Over 20 years that I've been in the club, this is the first time the SSS board has ventured into the ratings business - something past boards said they wouldn't do.

So I decided not to spend $170 to race in a division of one, or not use the gear that's already declared and in my rating.

atnan

Alameda, CA
@BobJ I understand why you're upset with SSS's policy of splitting out boats with powered winches into separate divisions, but it seems like you have some options:

1. Don't put powered winches on your 2022 PHRF cert, and don't use them while racing.
  2. Ask SSS to combine the "Spin PHRF 108 and under" and "Spin PHRF 111 to 159" powered winch divisions, which would have given you a division of 10 boats instead of 2. If I were racing Sea Witch I'd definitely make that request, because a division with one boat is no fun.
  3. Don't race.

I'm not sure why you've concluded that #3 is the best option, but perhaps I'm missing something.

BobJ

Super Anarchist
@BobJ I understand why you're upset with SSS's policy of splitting out boats with powered winches into separate divisions, but it seems like you have some options:

1. Don't put powered winches on your 2022 PHRF cert, and don't use them while racing.
  2. Ask SSS to combine the "Spin PHRF 108 and under" and "Spin PHRF 111 to 159" powered winch divisions, which would have given you a division of 10 boats instead of 2. If I were racing Sea Witch I'd definitely make that request, because a division with one boat is no fun.
  3. Don't race.

I'm not sure why you've concluded that #3 is the best option, but perhaps I'm missing something.
I'm not upset - I'm content with my decision to sit out the SSS season.  Yes, I could have not used the magic buttons again this year but now that NCPHRF has fixed the issue on the rating side, I'm trying to get the SSS to fix the double penalty this created.  I'm representing a few older singlehanders (not just myself) and I'm not receiving understandable reasoning from the SSS board.  Note I'm a singlehander - all the PW boats registered for the 3BF are doublehanders.

The board added a lot of verbiage to the NOR last year to create the separate divisions and I think they didn't want to bother removing it after PHRF made the change.  It was easier to leave it as-is for another year, especially since they haven't been able to find a race chair.  Hopefully it will get fixed for 2023.