3Di sails - how are they holding up?

A

Amati

Ran across this archived thread, wondered how the 3Di’s were holding up-

also, when North says their Endurance sails strike a balance between performance and, well, endurance  :rolleyes: , are they talking about weight, shape or something else?

MPH

Super Anarchist
NW
I'll try to be more helpful, when compared to mylar sails and dacron, they hold a much more consistent flying shape over the life of the sail. I race on a few boats where we have older 3DI mains and jibs and with the exception of one LM1 Genoa that has been flown uprange for the majority of it's life, they all still perform remarkably well for how old and used they are. 

Soho

Bermuda..
I have 7 years now on my 3DI main and jib,  and they are on the boat nearly 365 days a year.  For comparison,  my 3DL main lasted 7 years and when I replaced it with the 3DI,  I think it was pretty well toast,  when they go, they tend to go fast in terms of delam, that is the 3DL.  I also checked my pricing and the 2 mains were comparable in price 7 years apart,  but I forget what discounts or deals I might have brokered at the time.   Net net,  the 3DI is more durable by far; my main and jib still look very good and I have not considered replacement.  YMMV

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
When you say "7 years" how many sailing days do you think that represents? What kind of boat (trying to get an idea of loads they might see)

Soho

Bermuda..
Zonker -  not a ton of hours,  bad if you ever think of #$/hour of sailing..... 

probably 20-30 "sailing days"  a year I guess, mostly in 0-18 kts, not a whole lot of abuse heaped on the sails, but in Bermuda where UV's are a factor.  Figure  7 hours per sailing day to be generous.  Boat is an Albin Nimbus 42 and most of the sailing is our PHRF racing and then some afternoon or evening pleasure sails which are light on the sails.  PM me if you want more details,  happy to share.  I will be staying with the 3DI product for any new sails I get as the 3DL's die. 

Soho

Bermuda..
Yes, Sunbrella cover for the main and yes, UV strip on the jib, to be fair,  the jib comes off a lot if I am not using the boat much or hurricane/ storm.  UV cover holding up pretty well so far.   

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
mine are 7 yrs old and just about 2 months ago a good sailor said (this is the truth)  "I can't believe how good your sails look"

but the price....motherfuckers

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
Night and day compared to 3DLs. I have used them in many many use cases and have yet to see an actual structural failure of a 3Di sail but I've heard about one or two of them and they almost always involved some kind of user error or human interaction like a bad recut. 

Shape degrades but nowhere near as fast as on any string sail I've seen. Maybe takes 2-3x longer for the shape to break down? And even then it doesn't fail quite nearly as quickly. 

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
also, when North says their Endurance sails strike a balance between performance and, well, endurance  :rolleyes: , are they talking about weight, shape or something else?
typically the Endurance have an additional external 'scrim' - basically a non-woven version of an outer taffeta layer that gives increased UV and abrasion protection compared to the 3Di Raw racing sails which are, well, raw. Also the fibre ratios used in the Endurance sails will be different to the RAW sails to prioritise long term durability. The result is increased durability with a trade-off of extra weight. The shapes should be entirely up to the designer/client discussions during the order and are independent of the Raw/Endurance specifications.