4 bodies found off the Channel Islands, Ca......

Gawd dammit, for the LAST FUKING TIME, wear your freakin' life vest!..... :angry:

CHANNEL ISLANDS (CBS) — Four bodies have been found near an overturned fishing boat off the coast of the Channel Islands, according to authorities.

The four men took the boat out Saturday and failed to return to dock.

When family members of the men reported them missing Sunday morning, the Coast Guard initiated a search using two small boats. They were aided in the search by a Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Department helicopter and Santa Cruz Island park rangers.

The boat didn’t have any visible signs that would indicate it crashed into anything, said officials.

The bodies were discovered by the chopper. Authorities said that when they were able to get to the location by boat, one of the four bodies either floated away or sank. Three bodies have been recovered and officials say they will return to the area tomorrow to look for the fourth victim.

Apparently none of the victims was wearing a life vest, said authorities.

Petty Officer Adam Eggers told the Ventura County Star that while the day was relatively clear and sunny, some choppy waves were reported.

Cause of the accident remains under investigation.

"The four men launched from Channel Islands Harbor Saturday morning in a 24-foot Grady White boat and were expected to return from their fishing trip Saturday night,"

"Three bodies were discovered by a Coast Guard helicopter crew near Santa Cruz Island's Platts Harbor Sunday, said Lt. George Kolumbic of the San Pedro- based U.S. Coast Guard base"

http://www.contracos...nia/ci_20155234

That's a good-sized boat to capsize if the chop wasn't that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The four men launched from Channel Islands Harbor Saturday morning in a 24-foot Grady White boat and were expected to return from their fishing trip Saturday night,"

"Three bodies were discovered by a Coast Guard helicopter crew near Santa Cruz Island's Platts Harbor Sunday, said Lt. George Kolumbic of the San Pedro- based U.S. Coast Guard base"

And unless something has changed in the past 5 years or so, Grady's are supposedly (at least according to my uber fishing nut friends) extremely well built and extremely well designed.....

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha

And unless something has changed in the past 5 years or so, Grady's are supposedly (at least according to my uber fishing nut friends) extremely well built and extremely well designed.....
They come in several models. The early ones had an essentially open transom set up. I could see a potential scenario for cockpit flooding from a passing boat wake for the early models. Pure speculation though.

No doubt, these are very popular sport fishing boats.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia

I've taken one out into the Gulf Stream off Va Beach in 3-5' seas - if somethin' went south, I doubt it was the boat's fault.

Owen

Super Anarchist
Camarillo
798758_t300.JPG

Ventura County Star. Brrrrrr.

Last edited by a moderator:

IrieMon

Super Anarchist
Hard to believe that boat model is the same as this!
Agreed..... something very "off" in this story. That broken hull does not look like the offshore/voyager models. GW also makes smaller, open cockpit, bow-rider style hulls.