40'ish Cruising Cats

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
The old man has decided to sell the IRC leadmine and move across to the darkside, and we are finding a bit of a learning curve with respect to boat buying. There seems to be a real shortage of information on many of the cruising cats built in Australia, hopefully some on here can help out. We are looking at a cat that is easy to cruise the islands with a family, but can still sail upwind and in waves, downwind without burying the bows, and can be raced in CAT 2 events.

There are four designs on the shortlist at the moment, Grainger Chincogan 40, Spirited 380, Lightwave 38 and Fusion 40. All very nice looking boats, but very different designs. Anyone on here able to comment on these boats, particularly things like heavy weather abilities, windward sailing, and bridge deck clearance?

offtherails

Sydney
agree with the addition of pescott designs eg whitehavens to any shopper's browsing list - I've sailed a few miles on Phil Day's Rhythymic is a great boat which sails very well and has a good racing record eg in B2G. You'd have to talk to him or Mark Pescott re Cat 2 certification.

ozmultis

Big Difference between a Spirited and say a Lightwave. The spirited has very skinny hulls and goes like a mad thing. The Lightwaves are nicely built boats, and in fact there is a very special 38 that the team at Lightwave built light with a daggerboard on the market, or at least about to be.

There are not too many production Cats with Boards, Outremer, Seawind 1160 Sport, Catana are a few.

I'm 194cms and there is reasonable room in the Whitehaven hulls.

If you are genuinely looking for performance and Cat 2 capability as well as family cruising then I would take the Lightwave and Fusion off your list and add Pescott (as others have said), Schionning and Oram.

The Lightwaves and Fusions are excellent family cruising boats, very comfortable, very easy to sail short handed and able to produce good cruising speeds and fantastic candidates for most people's cruising and social racing needs - but once you say that you want to race in Cat 2 events it really ups the ante a bit and in my opinion neither of these is really a boat that you would be competitive in Cat 2 events in. (I have a 44' Schionning that I race/cruise including Cat 2 Brisbane to Gladstone's).

Last edited by a moderator:

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
Fusions and Lightwaves have been removed from the list, they were really only on there in case someone chimed in and said they sail as well as a daggerboard boat. Pescotts and the Cawardine Stealths have been added. I haven't seen any Orams in the range we are looking at listed, does he design under another name? I am familiar with the Schionnings, we race against No Problems quite a bit, he averages out to a very similar speed to our 40' mono.

Any more information on the Lightwave 38 with boards OzMultis?

ozmultis

Not yet, re the Lightwave with boards, trying to talk to the owner the last few days. You could talk direct with Roger from Lightwave, he built it and knows the owner obviously.

I like the Stealth, I like Alan Carwardine but not really sure they are a family cruising boat, certainly a great light airs race boat.

Bit of self Interest, Seawind do a 1160 with boards, carbon forebeams and carbon bulkheads etc etc. Won't be the fastest boat on the water, but will be pretty enjoyable to sail.

Best all round custom boat - value for money etc would have to be a well built Pescott. IMHO. Hell you can buy Mark's own boat for not a lot of cash (its a summersailt not a whitehaven) http://www.markpescottmultihulls.com/brokerage/summersalt

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
I have seen seawind 1160's sailing, their performance has been uninspiring, to say the least, and the only one I see in the OMR listings is nearly bottom of the list! How much improvement do the boards and carbon add?

Cut snake is listed as a stealth 12 on Cawardine's site, but has no design on the OMR listing. Does anyone know how similar it is to the Stealth 12.6? Is the Thai OMR listing directly comparable with the MYCQ listings?

ozmultis

You would have noticed that the 1160 on the OMR list weighed in at over 9 tonne, the new boats are substantially lighter at 6.5 tonne, Still won't be anything like the performance of a Stealth, but its a fair bit more comfort as well.

Dennisail

Anarchist
Brisbane
You would have noticed that the 1160 on the OMR list weighed in at over 9 tonne, the new boats are substantially lighter at 6.5 tonne, Still won't be anything like the performance of a Stealth, but its a fair bit more comfort as well.
That is a huge weight change. Were the hulls redesigned with less rocker or similar to reflect the change in displacement? Sounds like it will sail well at that weight. :)

ozmultis

No Dennis, the build process changed, not radically but incrementally the guys have been chasing weight all over all the boats, foam cored furniture etc etc . The XL2 is 650 kilo lighter than my XL for example. Of course on the 1160 Sport a good lump of weight comes from outboards over diesels. The AllYAcht Spars rigs are stronger and lighter, the list goes on. Its one of the rub offs of buying Corsair.

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
That is a serious diet! Final weight of the daggerboard model? (In omr trim preferably, for comparison sake)

Cutter,

None of us are tall, however headroom over the bunks is an important thing, at least for master cabin

cynophobe

Super Anarchist
Airlie Beach
I'd steer clear of the Seawinds,as a shipwright who has worked on a LOT of charter boats. From the sailing side I'd wait for some results to back the claims. If a pig goes on a diet it becomes a skinny pig.

My vote would be Schionning or Pescott. Done a bit of Racing on Jouvert a Pescott 11.6 and as a race boat it does well and can be pushed hard quite safley, as a cruiser unless you are after Fountain Pajot styling it ticks all the boxes.