49 - 420's built wrong?

Zaney

Bama
Just saw an article about 49 boats at the club 420 NA's getting tossed due to improper build techniques.  What gives?  

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
This may be the first, and perhaps only, time that the Chinese built a product that exceeded specs, yet they still managed to get it wrong.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
You have to be either a cheat or the most willfully blind person to not appreciate the problems of a one design non-conformity issue. 

crankcall

Super Anarchist
Toronto
I agree with the class association. I'd really hate to be the guy that approved buying 10 or 15 as boats for my YC.  ( we own 8 PS2000 boats)

ROADKILL666

Super Anarchist
FREAKVILLE, FL
Fer christ sake, as long as the boats measure and weigh in and float on the lines properly, why not use the new techniques which are not new anymore.
Because old fucks are scared of new tech.Look how long it took for the Star class to approve digital compasses   

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Infusion is goi g to be heavier and more resin rich than a carefully handlaid laminate.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
FFS they're one design.  They have to be the same.  It may be new, and it may be better, so as a result they're not the boats they were trying to build.  If they keep making them better what happens to all the existing boat?

It's a big decision for a class to decide to make a change that makes all the exiting boat unsuitable for competitive racing.

Wright Way

FFS they're one design.  They have to be the same.  It may be new, and it may be better, so as a result they're not the boats they were trying to build.  If they keep making them better what happens to all the existing boat?

It's a big decision for a class to decide to make a change that makes all the exiting boat unsuitable for competitive racing.
Laser been doing it from day one, only reason there's 50000 round the world is after one season they're no good for top level racing. Doesn't stop everyone else using the old boats and having a good time on the cheap. However they eventually realised a better build would be good too.

Might actually help the class if a lot of older boats come on the market cheap. Forcing everyone to keep buying poorly designed boats when there is a easy fix doesn't make a new buyer happy either.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Because old fucks are everyone is scared of new tech raising the price. Look how long it took for the Star class to approve digital compasses   
FIFY
Correct.

And Stars are so economical!

My first exposure to this silly merry-go-round was in the 470 class

More recently with Lightnings, trying to help the class get some more practical rules on buoyancy and a better rudder; looked like we might gain some traction then everything was just quietly dropped and Lightnings remain the impractical un-ergonomic beautiful mess they were before. Of course look how much money they've saved buyers of new Lightnings!

All that aside, with these particular boats, I am not familiar with the class rules but the intent is to have an inexpensive durable boat owned by programs for multiple kids to learn to sail and secondarily to race.

FB- Doug

GTim

Anarchist
Erie, PA
Just found this out last night. My son has been sailing/travelling with one of the "illegal" boats that our junior program bought. A memo came out from one of the judges in our area. It sucks because this is the nicest hull our club owns. So last night, as we were preparing to load for a regatta, we were shuffling teams and equipment. Better than getting chucked when you get to the venue though.

I agree that the one design aspect must be kept and the mfr should have cleared with the class before changing their build. That being said, these boats are fat, heavy turds so I seriously doubt that there is any speed benefit from the changes. Perhaps long term durability.

Latest posts