49er hoist main sail issues

olaforest

Hi everyone,

My cousin and I are trying to get a 49er (~2015 rig) working. It's our first 49er but we've got plenty experience on lasers, 470s, 505s, ... still, we know it's big step up!

ISSUE:
Most of the rigging seems ready to go, but we're having issues with rising the main: About a 1/3 of the way up, it gets stuck in the entrance of the track. (bolt rope getting stuck)

No matter how hard we pull the sail forward to feed it, it's pulled too hard out of the entrance of the track. If we apply more strength to the halyard, that boltrope goes through the entrance of the track instead...

Without the battens, it goes up without any issues, but even with battens at their shortest, the sail won't go up.

Mast seems bent like on pictures we've looked at and tension in the shrouds is set between light and medium air settings from the Southern Spar guide.

Would love some advices on this!!

Thanks!

O

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
On my Swift Solo, it helps to push the sail up from the bottom as you hoist. Sometimes I stop half way up and then put a lot of mast bend on to help take the pressure off the track from the battens. If you don't already have a 2:1 on the halyard, I'd add that too.

olaforest

Sounds good and will try that.. 

How do you add that mast bend? 49ers have turnbuckles on shrouds and fixed stay in front.. Do you add it from the front (with jib halyard) or by screwing in the turnbuckles at lot more?

Hiw do we know we've added too much bend? (no one to compare with..) 

Thanks! 

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
How do you add that mast bend?
I'm not a 49er sailor, but I do sail other boats that have similar behaviour when hoisting main. Thoughts

- take a trapeze aft, and put some weight on it

- pull the halyard from aft of the transom (if it doesn't go to a block at the step of the mast)

in both cases the boat and dolly should be firmly on the ground, wheels jammed so it won't roll...

olaforest

I'm not a 49er sailor, but I do sail other boats that have similar behaviour when hoisting main. Thoughts

- take a trapeze aft, and put some weight on it

- pull the halyard from aft of the transom (if it doesn't go to a block at the step of the mast)

in both cases the boat and dolly should be firmly on the ground, wheels jammed so it won't roll...
Great advice! Thanks, will certainly try that!

Is this a typical issue with square tops / bent masts?

Mozzy Sails

Super Anarchist
United Kingdom
If it's going up easy then suddenly jamming, is it as the mast joins (spreaders)? Sometimes a slight misalignment of the track there can cause a snag. 

Make sure all the battens are popped the same way. Clean then lube the track and bolt rope. Park the boat head to wind. 

If it's getting stuck 1/3 of the way up it's probably not cap tension that's the issue. In fact, mast bend at the start means the halyard is pulling slightly away from the track as it raises the main and this adds friction... but it's also true that not enough mast bend means there's lots of pressure on the battens but typically you only feel this once over halfway and mos the battens are in the track.  Regardless, if you're mast is in a ballpark place there shouldn't be any issues cause by mast bend. 

17mika

Anarchist
Milan, Italy
49er masts are 3 pieces. so it may well be a slight track misalignment where there are the different pieces of the mast.

I agree with mozzy that unless tensions are totally wrong, they are not playing a role.

Michele

Steve Clark

Super Anarchist
Make sure you are head to wind. The batten caps bind on the sail track.

Soft sailors tend to forget this fundamental rule:

Make sure all the battens are cambered the same way.  If part of the sail is on the opposite tack, hell itself won't haul it up.

SHC

olaforest

Thanks everyone for the useful tips! 

Track is well aligned, looks like the issue is mast bend.. will try adjusting it better next time over!

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
Practice helps a lot too. You do simply get better at feeding the sail in!!

Pushing the lowest batten up the track so there's less tension on the luff rope as it enters may help too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts