5 things men should know about sailing with women

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
6017a530608e83487af37718babe4101.jpg

This photo of a book cover popped up on Pinterest and I thought I should take a closer look at the website that it was promoting. 

I glanced through the gallery there and thought I should add a 6th very important to the wisdom they are providing.

#6 Be sure to have plenty of provisions on board otherwise your crew might EAT you!

As evidenced by this photo from the site...

2000_5bd816a9d7a9c.jpg

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
I've sailed with, and for, and been frequently thrashed in races by, women.  This includes my wife, whom I met at a college sailing dock on the Charles River some decades ago.

I don't think they need to be written "about".  They're sailors.  Or sailing students.  Or crew.  Or skipper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I agree, and thought the photo and title was going to be one of those jokes where when you open the page there is nothing else. 

Sort of like this,

efc564eb7dc2227de448402a4a653204.jpg

Hey Tom, what do you call a woman who flies airplanes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
A pilot you misogynist! 

Just kidding Tom, I used to love to tell that one to the old farts in my soaring club. They would come up with terms like 'aviatrix' and such. 

sugarbird

Caribbean
Mmmm... at the risk of being somehow politically incorrect/catching hell, I've observed that women's "plumbing" needs a little more care and attention than a comparable man's while at sea, especially in the warm, moist tropics. Do a friend a favor and throw a tube of Monistat into the ship's medical kit.  

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
A

Mmmm... at the risk of being somehow politically incorrect/catching hell, I've observed that women's "plumbing" needs a little more care and attention than a comparable man's while at sea, especially in the warm, moist tropics. Do a friend a favor and throw a tube of Monistat into the ship's medical kit.  
Not patronizing as much as mansplainy.

My experience of sailing with women (and men) is that you make sure they have enough information and they will take care of the 'plumbing' difficulties.

sugarbird

Caribbean
You do it your way, I’ll do it mine - I’ve never had a complaint (on this topic anyway), and in fact have been thanked for being thoughtful.

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
That's a great article.

I live in house of women - I've learned a great lesson - If you want to know what men should know about sailing with women - you only need to know one thing...to ask.

Do it in a genuine, respectful, nonpatronizing fashion with a genuine desire to hear...like you would with anybody else you want to learn something from...and you will learn all you need to know...

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Otherwise you will get your butt kicked! Skipper Jenn doesn't pull any punches but seems to get her message across. 

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
That's a great article.

I live in house of women - I've learned a great lesson - If you want to know what men should know about sailing with women - you only need to know one thing...to ask.

Do it in a genuine, respectful, nonpatronizing fashion with a genuine desire to hear...like you would with anybody else you want to learn something from...and you will learn all you need to know...
Also accept that you will get it wrong, and when you do, don't get defensive (you got it wrong there is no defense :) ) just apologize.

Honestly I can't always manage to ask things in a genuine respectful non-patronizing way (to men or women) because sometimes (in the heat of the moment) I'm not certain that the other person deserves respect. I often find that on reflection I was wrong :) , there is usually no excuse, but even when there is one providing it doesn't mend bridges.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Is there a difference sailing with men versus women? Are not we all just people, or in our case, sailors?

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
6017a530608e83487af37718babe4101.jpg

This photo of a book cover popped up on Pinterest and I thought I should take a closer look at the website that it was promoting. 

I glanced through the gallery there and thought I should add a 6th very important to the wisdom they are providing.

#6 Be sure to have plenty of provisions on board otherwise your crew might EAT you!

As evidenced by this photo from the site...

2000_5bd816a9d7a9c.jpg
Is that a tarantula on the towel??  :eek:

Okay, I gotta say, you guys sound like you are kissing some fat ass on this thread. What's all this "respectfulness" business. You either had it before, and didn't need to be called out on it, or you are faking it now. And I won't even read an article that has the word "woke" in it.  OTOH, I've had a first mate and second-guesser for 30 years and we work well together. She's calm in a crisis and keeps a steady hand on the wheel. We laugh together - including about this new "woke" generation.