50 years ago

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
I was 13 and had done my first ever night race on a keelboat from Auckland up to Kawau Island in the 1966 Squadron Night Race.

On awakening early the next morning I looked around the anchorage and grabbed my dads old box brownie camera to record what I saw.

There are a couple of historically well known yachts in the photo - one of which should be easily recognised by many here.

MHB Feb 66 001.jpg

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
That's Rags (New Infidel then) isn't it?
Yes, she was only about two years old then and was the hottest boat on the harbour. The bloke in the little white dinghy near her stern came over to Ngataringa, the yacht I had sailed up on, and took me back to Infidel for a tour. Sadly, Dad wouldn't let me take the camera. To a 13 year old sailing tragic it was a huge thing to be on board that boat and I have never forgotten Tom Clarkes hospitality that day.

Shu

Super Anarchist
About 42 or 43 years ago I was 14 or 15 and watched Ragtime slide past in the Newport to Ensenada Race. All sort of rumors were told about the boat. We just didn't know what to think of it, as there was nothing else remotely like it around here at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigrpowr

Super Anarchist
The 805
If you make it to California, come see it again

Chris Welsh

Ragtime

USA 7960
i'm already here , can i ? i remember when bill owned it and being parked near it in alamitos bay in the 80's , also during ensenada race starts . man was i in love with it as a kid and still am. i actually still have a copy of pacific high . the restoration has turned out fantastic, well done chris .

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
The Townson is the first of the 30s, Alan Warwicks Magic Flute. Alan and my Dad were both architects and knew each other well. Alan went on to become a noted yacht designer himself.

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
That looks like a Stewart in the background on the right with the varnished cabin coamings. I have been trying to work out which one it is but all I can remember is it starts with P.
Don't they all start with a P?

Why is that?
The original class name they were known by were Patikis because 'Patiki' was the first boat built to the design. It was common in NZ back then for a new yacht design to be called after the first boat launched to that particular design and then for subsequent boats names to start with the same initial letter as the first boat. eg lots of 'S' names for Spencer designs ie Sabre, Saracen, Scimitar etc.. The design name for the Patikis was changed to Stewart 34's some years later, possibly when they started using them for match racing?

The boat at right rear in the photo has a counter stern and looks like a K class to me whereas. Patikis / S34s have a near vertical transom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alcatraz5768

Super Anarchist
That looks like a Stewart in the background on the right with the varnished cabin coamings. I have been trying to work out which one it is but all I can remember is it starts with P.
Don't they all start with a P?

Why is that?
The original class name they were known by were Patikis because 'Patiki' was the first boat built to the design. It was common in NZ back then for a new yacht design to be called after the first boat launched to that particular design and then for subsequent boats names to start with the same initial letter as the first boat. eg lots of 'S' names for Spencer designs ie Sabre, Saracen, Scimitar etc.. The design name for the Patikis was changed to Stewart 34's some years later, possibly when they started using them for match racing?The boat at right rear in the photo has a counter stern and looks like a K class to me whereas. Patikis / S34s have a near vertical transom.
Patiki, I am led to believe, is the Maori name for flat fish which is why the original got its name in the first place. They were freakishly flat in the hull for their time.

As for the one in the picture, I first thought that there was a dinghy beside the stern but you are correct, counter stern.

Latest posts