505 Carbon twin poles

Not as daggy as the hat on the crew. They make a big difference to his ability to concentrate and steer well upwind in a breeze. Top 10 at the first top mark a couple of times in SF, faded after that with problems getting the spin up and down!

Pity you did not tell us that before San Fran. Halfway through the regatta we went crew hoist and douse. Have compromised since on skipper hoist and crew douse which is working for us. Also got the bigger spinn shute in the bow which helps a lot.

Spot the difference? /monthly_03_2011/post-9940-046276000%201299978783_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 2

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
Also got the bigger spinn shute in the bow which helps a lot.

Spot the difference?
I love the crew douse in rough conditions.

Nice tube. There's an impossible to measure minimum volume rule for the forward watertight compartment. I have no idea where the different designs fall within the rule. Do you know?

russyh

Guys, my parts should be with me in a few days/weeks. Quick question. What is the general concencious regarding launcher hight? I have a ring presently which i will obviously remove, but would be interested if anyone had looked into the average/best hight to place a twin launcher on the mast.

dburchfiel

Raleigh, NC
Pity you did not tell us that before San Fran. Halfway through the regatta we went crew hoist and douse. Have compromised since on skipper hoist and crew douse which is working for us. Also got the bigger spinn shute in the bow which helps a lot.

Spot the difference? /monthly_03_2011/post-9940-046276000%201299978783_thumb.jpg
What type of boat is that for. The old tube looks like the one on my Van Munster which I think should be bigger. Where did you get the larger one?

Windward Mark

Super Anarchist

What type of boat is that for. The old tube looks like the one on my Van Munster which I think should be bigger. Where did you get the larger one?
Van Munster does a kit.

Pic was taken in the Van Munster factory when our Van Munster was converted there. It came with a complete rebuild of the forestay attachment at the bow which replaced the turning block with a simple aluminium insert with a large radius and no moving parts similar to what the 18 foot skiffs use. Will try to get a pic but the boat is still on a trailer at Hamilton Island as I flew home to escape the rain and will be going back to get the big trailer in a couple of weeks.

russyh

Guys sorry to be a pain, but has anyone got a detailed diagram or photos with how booms are rigged for he twin pole setup? I pick up my launcher and poles wednesday so need to get cracking with the fit out.

russyh

Sorry to ask YET ANOTHER QUESTION, but what is the consensus of opinion on the hight the launcher should be fitted to the mast? Where have other people fitted theres? Has anyone got some measurements from mast gate to bottom of launcher or Mast foot to bottom of launcher?

Russ

mikeholt

Mine is 34.5" from the deck. The Glaser number is 26" from the boom band, I think that is 41" from the deck.

russyh

Thanks Mike. I am now £500 poorer but in possession of my new Selden carbon poles and Twin Spinno launcher. The quality of the launcher is fantastic and the poles are really neat. I will start putting the system together this weekend, luckily its a bank holiday over here. I will take photos of my progress and put them on a blog. I will mount my launcher at 34.5" , thanks Mike i must owe you a whole keg of beer by now. The most annoying thing about it all is having to remove the d ring i have on my 6 month old mast to fit a launcher, i should of thought ahead when getting p&B to fit out the mast
mad.gif

mikeholt

If the launcher fitting is going on the mast below the ring leave it on.

Looking forward to the beer in a few weeks.

Mike

russyh

Any idea at what length i should be tapering the launcher lines folks? also i understand some boats have a fly away system for the kite sheets to stop them getting caught round the boom, has anyone got any idea where and how this system should be fitted?

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
Launcher lines don't need to be tapered in the traditional sense. You can tie 2 different ropes together inside the pole and save some money and time.

I learned this after making a nice and expensive set of tapered ones.

russyh

Ahhh, i have already bought the rope!! I am guessing you dont need much of a taper much of it probably 2 metres??

Latest posts