505 Fleet 25 active out of Sail Newport

From www.505fleet25.com

We're pleased to announce that Fleet 25 will be resurrected this summer. We will be based out of Sail Newport in RI and hope to build a strong home for 505 sailing in the Northeast that has been lacking between Fleet 9 (Rye, NY) and Fleet 6 (Marblehead MA). Sail Newport is Rhode Island's premier public sailing center in Newport RI. It is the perfect home for our class and supports several other dinghy fleets. We will have access to all of their facilities including the ramp launch, hoists, showers, classrooms, marks, and coach boats. The class will be exposed to the many local sailors that take advantage of the Sail Newport facilities each year including sailors in the J-24, laser, V-15 classes and the youth programs.

We have arranged for a fleet storage deal at Sail Newport from March 15 - October 17th. These dates allow teams to be rigged and practicing out of Sail Newport for a considerably long season in New England. Winter sailing/storage can be worked out with Sail Newport but without knowing our needs we didn't work anything out. The fees for the summer season will be $170 per boat for U-25 teams and $245 for adult teams. This is a considerable discount from the standard fees for a shorter summer season. Sail Newport has asked for a minimum of 9 boats to be stored in order for us to receive this awesome discount.

I've talked to a few area boats already and anticipate Fleet 25 consisting of

* The Pump

* 6985 and 8767

* ML with his Rondar

We'd love to get some commitments from other area boats for joining Fleet 25. Once we have a core group I'd like to get some feedback on the season length, regatta schedule, availability for weeknight practice (prefer Wednesday or Thursday?), and the goals that teams have so that we can begin to develop a program to help everyone out.

Looking forward to hearing from you and having a great season of 505 sailing!

Russ Miller and Michael Komar

Fleet 25 Organizers

[email protected]

From www.505fleet25.com
We're pleased to announce that Fleet 25 will be resurrected this summer. We will be based out of Sail Newport in RI and hope to build a strong home for 505 sailing in the Northeast that has been lacking between Fleet 9 (Rye, NY) and Fleet 6 (Marblehead MA). Sail Newport is Rhode Island's premier public sailing center in Newport RI. It is the perfect home for our class and supports several other dinghy fleets. We will have access to all of their facilities including the ramp launch, hoists, showers, classrooms, marks, and coach boats. The class will be exposed to the many local sailors that take advantage of the Sail Newport facilities each year including sailors in the J-24, laser, V-15 classes and the youth programs.

We have arranged for a fleet storage deal at Sail Newport from March 15 - October 17th. These dates allow teams to be rigged and practicing out of Sail Newport for a considerably long season in New England. Winter sailing/storage can be worked out with Sail Newport but without knowing our needs we didn't work anything out. The fees for the summer season will be $170 per boat for U-25 teams and $245 for adult teams. This is a considerable discount from the standard fees for a shorter summer season. Sail Newport has asked for a minimum of 9 boats to be stored in order for us to receive this awesome discount.

I've talked to a few area boats already and anticipate Fleet 25 consisting of

* The Pump

* 6985 and 8767

* ML with his Rondar

We'd love to get some commitments from other area boats for joining Fleet 25. Once we have a core group I'd like to get some feedback on the season length, regatta schedule, availability for weeknight practice (prefer Wednesday or Thursday?), and the goals that teams have so that we can begin to develop a program to help everyone out.

Looking forward to hearing from you and having a great season of 505 sailing!

Russ Miller and Michael Komar

Fleet 25 Organizers

[email protected]
Any chance of demoing a boat/crewing? I have tried to contact various 505 sailors for the last couple seasons and haven't gotten anywhere. Would love to give one a go as I am currently trying to figure out what my next boat will be. Currently based in Boston, so Newport wouldn't be a bad drive.

Alright guys, I can endorse this 505 fleet idea as long as you stay away from Thursdays . . . my wife and I race a J24, and while I'd love for her to drive a 5o and get bitten by that bug, if we do so on a Thursday afternoon 3 other crew members from the J24 team will probably kick our asses. Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday, please. And make sure there are some boats to borrow!

it'll probably be a long time before im ever in the class, but i'd love to give it a go in one just to see what they're like. One of the funnest things i think to do is to sail on as many different types of boats as you can to gain a new perspective on stuff. Im sailing now (god yesterday was brutal...), so if you are too, id be up for whenever you want to go...

Alright guys, I can endorse this 505 fleet idea as long as you stay away from Thursdays . . . my wife and I race a J24, and while I'd love for her to drive a 5o and get bitten by that bug, if we do so on a Thursday afternoon 3 other crew members from the J24 team will probably kick our asses. Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday, please. And make sure there are some boats to borrow!
I'm almost completely positive that weeknight training will be Wednesdays. I know that there will be a core group very active throughout the week and that should provide some other opportunities for people to come out and give it a go. I have your info on my recruit list and will probably be contacting you about whats going on soon.

it'll probably be a long time before im ever in the class, but i'd love to give it a go in one just to see what they're like. One of the funnest things i think to do is to sail on as many different types of boats as you can to gain a new perspective on stuff. Im sailing now (god yesterday was brutal...), so if you are too, id be up for whenever you want to go...
No worries man. Send me an email at [email protected] with your contact info and we'll get you on the list and I'll be sure to get you in on any opportunities.

Latest posts