505 Midwinter Predictions

So what with all the blue balls aggravation going on elsewhere I've decided to make some predictions for midwinters

Laugh, then feel free to discuss/expand as necessary.

First, sailing

Bixby and Boothe will throw down.

So will Kokotat

If Moore/Falsone show up they will be mixing it up hardcore

The chicago boats will surprise

The Ferrarone/Mckiege program will be solid

The CoeMiller gybestopper (handmade of natural materials!) will be awarded to the top U-25 team.

Now, fun

All bargattas will be well attended by all and led by a certain Austrailian A-cat sailor. Many bad-decisions will be made by others at his urging.

A certain crew on 8753 will pickup the first 6 footer that passes the standard

FiveO will enjoy a few more jaeger bombs

DMR, with women on each arm, will fly in from PR just for the drinking.

Craig will buy WCB and Carbon a beer and all will be well within the world of loving 5o5 sailing

Hilarity will ensue.

Jesse Falsone

Anarchist
I'm sailing with CDR Keith Davids, CO SEAL Team One. Normally, I'd say that I would take the arm wrestling since I've already opened a can of whup ass on those two chumps you mention, but Keith may be the only skipper that can beat me.

usa7606

I count 24 boats so far that have said they will be there, plus some more going on the truck from new york? what boats are on the truck and russell's trailer?

t_huebs

Craig will buy WCB and Carbon a beer and all will be well within the world of loving 5o5 sailing
Hilarity will ensue.
Can I request a pillow fight from all of the above?

That would be hilarity.

I will go out on a limb right now and say that I will get mind numbing drunk at least one night.

Carbon

Super Anarchist
I am proud to say iqcraig and I have buried the hatchet. I'd rather settle arguments on the water, anyway.

Carbon

So then you'll come have a beer? Apparently Mr T huebs over there will be having a lot, and is in need of a friend to encourage him.

Craig, I don't fuck with marriage, so the wifey's are safe from me.

Will be getting the trailer out of the shop tomorrow, will know then if it'll be making the trip. I'd prefer to fill it with RI/Southern Mass boats to make it easy JB, we'll work something out.

Because of the efficiency of moving boats that Region 1 has shown, there are probably a few doubles available that could be brought down to Annapolis for those mid-Atlantic boats if they need the trailers. I don't own any of those doubles, but don't feel bad about making the suggestion that they should be used to get boats south.

Hows bout the MHD fleet? Anybody heard from Burke?

iqcraig

So I am going to be crewing for John Loe for midwinters. He is a multiple time college all-american and a really good sailor, but has limited experience in the 505. I just sent him an email in response to a question he had regarding the order of operations for powering/depowering in the 505.

Am I forgetting something? Here it is:

Previously you mentioned learning the order of operations for powering/de-powering. I think people often over-complicate 505 sailing. Most 505's have tons of strings to pull and when people who are not good sailors try to just hop in a 505 and go, they often are in way over their head. I tried to rig my boat as simple as possible without losing any critical systems.

There are 3 major control lines in the 505 that you don't see in a college dinghy or V15. Mast Rake, Shroud Tension, and Mast Ram. In a way this simplifies the tuning because mast rake and shroud tension are completely independent controls. In a college dinghy, 470, or vanguard, there is always a trade-off between mast rake and rig tension at a given pin setting. In a 505, your forestay control line dictates your mast rake, not a combination of pin setting/rig tension. This eliminates the need for rig tension/mast rake charts at each pin setting like you would see on any well sailed 470.

The forestay control is a calibrated adjustment that is marked in the boat. You will always know what mast rake you are at by reading off the scale.

The shrouds are more of a subjective adjustment. General rule of thumb is that you dont want your leeward shroud to break while going upwind with crew on the wire. As the breeze picks up and you start to ease the rig back, you pull more rig tension on to bend the mast and flatten the main. In general, you will not be making major adjustments to the mast rake/shroud tension unless there are major changes in velocity or the boat doesn't feel good.

The mast ram is not super critical. Some people get way to hung up on this adjustment. In general you pull it on more as you rake back. It controls the lower mast bend and counteracts the force of the vang.

Other than those 3 controls, it is typical dinghy sailing. Cunningham and Vang adjustments are critical and are made for more subtle changes in velocity. The leech tension is more controlled by the vang and less by the mainsheet. Unlike a college dingy or v15, where the mainsheet can hook the leech, the vang controls the leech tension in anything other than super light air.

So in terms of order of operations, here are the basics that the skipper needs to be concerned with:

The breeze is building, and the boat has too much power:

-Cunningham on

-Vang on

-Sheet the main further out from centerline

-Hike harder

-tighten shouds(maybe)

-at this point if you are still overpowered you will need to rake back and make the corresponding shroud/ram adjustments

The breeze is fading, the boat starts to feel underpowered:

-Ease cunningham

-ease vang

-Trim main closer to centerline

-loosen shrouds(maybe)

-at this point if you are still underpowered you will need to rake forward and make the corresponding shroud/ram adjustments

We will talk more about this stuff, but the key is to simplify it in your mind. If you start to feel slow it can be a major mind-fuck if you start thinking about all the variables possible. In the end it is dinghy sailing. Vang and cunningham and hiking hard.

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
So I am going to be crewing for John Loe for midwinters. He is a multiple time college all-american and a really good sailor, but has limited experience in the 505. I just sent him an email in response to a question he had regarding the order of operations for powering/depowering in the 505.
Am I forgetting something?

Pretty good. Add centerboard to your list.

Also, for short term adjustments, like 30 more yards to the weather mark, overpowered, not enough time to rake, try board up a little and maybe vang off a little.

iqcraig

OK, so Russ Miller's new rig is BADASS!

4 boats can travel indoors for flat rate to get to midwinters and back. Just add airfare which is still reasonable. He may still have an opening. He wants to take 4 NE boats and have one common loading time. Check out the pics of this trailer. Amazing.

P1000207.JPG

P1000209.JPG

P1000208.JPG

P1000211.JPG