51st. Trofeo S.A.R. Princess Sofia regatta

bait

https://www.trofeoprincesasofia.org/en/default/races/race

After a couple year hiatus due to Covid,  it looks like this huge event will be held as scheduled. 

with the next Summer Olympic Games in 2024 in Europe (France), there is strong worldwide enthusiasm across the Olympic classes as this event will be a big kick off for many Olympic campaigns. The number of different countries registered is staggering. Some I did not even know had sailing programs.

Currently 1,092 competitors registered amongst the ten Olympic classes. 278 coaches registered.  

The U.S. has managed to scrape together 18 teams(28 sailors) registered in 8 classes. 16 of these sailors are members of the U.S. Sailing Team out of the total 23 US Sailing Team membership on the current roster. Interesting there are no men’s laser sailor attending the event. There are also 10 U.S. Coaches registered to support the 18 teams. A few of these are personal coaches and not part of the US Sailing Team entourage. Not sure how many US Sailing Team support personnel will be going to support the 16 US Sailing Team members, but I would imagine they will take a full compliment to justify their budget requests from sponsors.

Canada has registered 24 teams in five classes for comparison. A number European teams are huge. There are even a few Ukraine sailors competing.

the European Olympic class regatta season is well underway. It will be fun to watch all the various events leading up to next years combined World Championships and first country qualifier being held in The Hague.

Admiral Hornblower

Super Anarchist
NE Ohio
What the hell is up with no US entries in the Laser Standard? Canada has 10! This just shows the lack of interest in US Olympic sailing.

In general, the US has the lowest number of entries in all classes in this regatta. Canada has sent twice as many sailors to this regatta!

bait

Hard to get any enthusiasm for Olympic sailing in the US. Quad after Olympic quad going back to the London Olympics with very poor results and only one medal in 2016 along with a huge push for young sailors to use their skills to gain entrance to universities rather than a move to performance sailing. The young sailors never come out the other end of collegiate sailing to move into performance sailing, but for the odd exception. On top of that the Olympic classes are not supported in the US by the every day sailors on any level. American youth sailors in general are not focused on sailing performance boats the same way other countries are.

With the next summer Olympics in Europe there is a huge enthusiasm for Olympic sailing in Europe, hence the 1000 + sailors at this event. I only hope with the 2028 summer games in Los Angeles, there  might be some interest in the US sailors to jump in and give it a run.

In Palma:

US Sailing Team

• Ian Barrows / Hans Henken, 49er
  • Andrew Mollerus / Ian MacDiarmid, 49er
  • Daniela Moroz, Formula Kite
  • Louisa Nordstrom / Trevor Bornarth, 470
  • Pedro Pascual, iQFOiL
  • Steph Roble / Maggie Shea, 49erFX

Olympic Development Program

• Kai Calder, Formula Kite
  • Noah Runciman, Formula Kite
  • Christina Sakellaris, ILCA 6
  • Chris Williford / Duncan Williford, 49er

Other American sailors participating

• Kelly Cole / Ellie Glenn, 49erFX
  • Carson Crain / Caroline Atwood, Nacra 17
  • Lilly Myers, ILCA 6
  • Lucy Wilmot / Erika Reineke, 49erFX

interesting there is not one mens single handed dinghy (ILCA7) sailor in attendance!

Total of 22 US sailors attending the event. 10 are actually on the US Sailing Team. Five are on the development program. Seven are there basically unsupported by US Sailing. But I am sure they are getting some interaction with US Sailing Team support staff.

“Our team always looks forward to the cooperative training and racing period in March here in Palma,” said USST Head Coach, Luther Carpenter. “It’s the ‘spring opener’ to evaluate our team’s skills and check in with the greater Olympic Sailing community. We have 45 sailors and coaches here which is a strong representation of US Sailing. The event presents a great opportunity to fine-tune the collaboration, education, and learning dynamics. Each sailor is focused on specific goals on their path toward the Paris 2024 Olympics.” 

Luther states there are 45 people there between coaches and sailors. So 22 sailors and 23 support coaches and personnel. The seven teams not associated with the US Sailing Team likely have there own support coach. Interesting to know how many coaches and staff the US Sailing Team brought Palma to support the ten team members and five development team members. I am sure some are private coaches for the individual teams not associated with the US Sailing Team. A few of the US Sailing Teams also bring their private coaches that are not associated with US Sailing Team.

Just funny to see as many support people as there are actual sailors. Hopefully this large support group can figure out how to set up a program to develop a cohesive team that will generate medals in 2028 as 2024 is probably already a lost cause in the medal count category..

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
What the hell is up with no US entries in the Laser Standard? Canada has 10! This just shows the lack of interest in US Olympic sailing.

In general, the US has the lowest number of entries in all classes in this regatta. Canada has sent twice as many sailors to this regatta!
Who are the top male Laser sailors in the US right now anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
Charlie Buckingham and Chris Bernard?
Barnard won the Princesa Sofia Regatta in 2019.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/216258/Chris-Barnard-on-the-2019-Trofeo-Princesa-Sofia

yysw243803.jpg

Buckingham went to the Tokyo Olympics and was 13th.

Are these two gunning for 2024 or is there some new blood with a chance to qualify for the US spot in Paris?

Last edited by a moderator:

bait

Breezy day in Palma today. Only the old school boats (Mixed470, ILCA6,7 and the windsurfer with the new foil left the beach.

maybe the breeze will lighten up enough over the next couple days to let the skiffs, kites, and Nacra come out to race. 

Stanno

Sydney
Daughter made her senior debut in the ILCA 6's - very challenging conditions all day - about 5 hours plus on the water for 1 race ... and unseasonably cold at 8 degrees! 

Looking from afar there seemed to be gear carnage and retirements across the 470 and boards, and the bigger dudes in the boards really had a day out! 

Great experience and amazing fleets all round. 

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island

In the ILCA 6 fleet, Sarah Douglas of Canada is currently in first place. Lillian Myers of USA is 33rd.

bait

To each their own. 

I am glad there are still American sailors enjoying the experience to sail these 10 classes of boats at this level. Regardless of Olympic aspirations, these types of events are just incredible to participate in. 1000 sailors from 62 countries all together with a common interest. 

Tcatman

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
I am really surprised at the number of  mixed US 470 teams....   I would have thought that was the deepest pool of US Sailors. Perhaps the covid fubar is hindering teams from forming, breaking up and resorting into teams worth a trial by fire in Europe.

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
I am really surprised at the number of  mixed US 470 teams....   I would have thought that was the deepest pool of US Sailors. Perhaps the covid fubar is hindering teams from forming, breaking up and resorting into teams worth a trial by fire in Europe.
I don't know the full race calendar but i know a bunch of US teams are sitting this one out. Not sure why.

Maybe the COVID disruption of the pre-olympic regattas broke the sponsorship/funding cycle for them too?

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
Somewhat surprised at your reaction...   Do you follow any sailors outside of the classes you participate in? 
I used to. I had two friends/ business colleagues who were selected for the Olympics, one of whom did win a medal. This was in the days when Olympic sailors had real jobs too. But I am not much of a sports spectator/ fanboy for any sport. Except baseball of course. Go Yankees!

Latest posts