52.5' LOA motor sailer project

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Here are some images of the new 52.5' LOA motor sailer we are working on right now. This 3D work was done by Will Porter, a member of the design team. Also working with me on this challenging project is Neil Racicot and Tim O'Connell.

The black shapes in the topsides are freeing ports.

Will B.jpg

Will C.jpg

Will D.jpg

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Oh she's a chubby girl Bob. The shape and low aspect of keel really reminds me of the fat charter cats. Tell the client she/he is wrong and boat needs more draft. (I know the client only wanted 5.5' of draft). Maybe it has a 12' deep centerboard....

A more serious thought. On some of our vessels we combine the separate freeing ports into one open slot. (with vertical bars to keep the class surveyors happy). This can offer a different styling look and you can change the shape of ends a bit.

From this:

image.png

to this

image.png

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Zonks;
Client wanted 6' draft so he could go everywhere he goes now in his Valiant (which draws about 6'4".) I'd kill for another 4". Seriously.

I thought about that style of freeing port but there are other concerns with that high bulwark and I decided to go with the area required for individual freeing ports. Anything can change at this stage.

Thanks for the input. That's why I return to CA.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Bull:

Just a very basic sloop rig with a low SA/D. In boom furling main. ICW friendly "I". Nothing special.

MS motor ailer 4-8-22.jpg

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Not to criticize, but hull form/rocker/keel profile look a lot like the old Cal 46. Please - was Lapworth that good? Or is this just the result of the same basic parameters producing the same shapes? Are the sections also similar?

Once you overlooked the fact that the deck/cabin were 4-5" off side to side, the 46 did it's job admirably

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Side gates should open inward, a lot of times you can't open it outward because of dock, dinghy, rafted up to someone.

Just a suggestion.

Looks very cool 

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a lengthy debate some weeks back about the self-tacking jib on this rig, didn’t we?  Do I repeat myself? Very well then, I repeat myself—move the clew of the jib up 4’ so the guy at the wheel can see under it and the waves don’t smash into the bottom of the jib working to weather in a blow.  I assume large enough diesel tanks so that sailing is more steadying sail and reaching fun than a necessity?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Longy:

Yes I do think Lapworth was that good. This is an entirely different boat to a Cal 46. They have almost nothing in common. My boat weighs 60,000 lbs. and the hull form has considerable deadrise. This boat carries over 1,000 gals of fuel and 210 gals of water. Compare that to what  Cal 46 carries. This boat has a 320 hp Cummins diesel. It's a very different boat. I have never heard that comment about the deck being offset before. Interesting.

Level:

Not on this boat. The gates will open outward. With minimal mental acuity if there is a clearance problem the gates will be opened prior to docking. But this could change. We are still early in the project.

Unwashed:

Nope. The clew of the self tacking jib will stay as drawn. If I raised it as you suggest, it could not sheet to the track just forward of the mast. There is a correlation between clew height and sheet lead. It is not arbitrary.

Thanks for the comments. They are always considered.

Ted layout 4-12-22.jpg

Voiled

Is the project limited by the 52.5ft? Could a bit of extra length be sneaked in to make the ass-end less pronounced without compromising interior space? The extra length needed could be limited by making the aft cabin longer but narrower than it is now.

Very interesting project, thanks for sharing!

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Voied:

No. My client has a berth with a 53' LOA limit. I have used all the LOA allowed for this project.

Would more LOA be better? Yes, of course but it's not always an option.

Driver:

Not for this boat. It would be a good idea though. We will have a 5 blade Max prop 32' DIA.

CapDave

Grenada
Is the client fixated on in-boom furling? From my experience, in-mast furling has more optionality for points of sail on which you can furl in and out.

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
Does it have to have a blue stripe?

The boat seems "quietly attractive". Not my style/scene but the proportions etc work well.

I'd take a second or third look in the marina because I'd be interested in the function, fit and finish.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Dave:

No. I am fixated on in boom furling. I have done several boats with it over the last 20+ years  and I like it a lot.

Ease:

No it does not need the stripe. But with that much freeboard it helps bring the eye down. I will leave the stripe there for now. The stripe is now a white stripe. Maybe that works better for your eye.

It's not my style of boat either but the boat is not for me. It's my task to give the client what they want. The client saw this design of mine and asked for something in that style but bigger. He likes this look. I do too.

Emil 8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Panope:

I have two portlights in the aft bhd of the PH. I'll make those as big as I can.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Comments about prop got me thinking about 2 engines and twin props.  Eliminate a genset assuming one is designed in now and much improved handling under power, especially with a bulky hull.  Maxprops are awesome, but have a hell of a prop walk when first kicked in reverse, twin engines rotating opposite would eliminate that.  Also being motor sailor you could motor sail with one engine at reduced fuel consumption at a more friendly rpm for a diesel instead of low revving a large diesel which ain't so good for it.