52.5' LOA motor sailer project

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Are these guys related or do they just go to the same optician?

image.png image.png  

As you were.

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
ACC:

I had checked the line of site for the person sitting in the jump seat. The wife of the owner. I wanted to be certain she had a clear view ahead. I find it's the kiss of death to almost be able to see out a big window. They cruise as a couple with a dog. Many of the comments assume there are more people on board. That will be extremely rare.
When it comes to line of sight, not even going to the point that its pretty important to avoid collisions/ get a good view of what the wind is doing and of course, avoiding running aground…

When the wife can’t see, its time to redesign or if purchasing, look for another boat.  Once, many years ago, we were looking at a nice little sloop, bigger than our Santana but a nice size to do all the things we wanted in a larger boat.

Big killing point of the sale, Brenda Lea could not see over the coach roof when sitting in the cockpit.  We wound up with an S27.9.  

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Just lie to the client and put on a deeper keel. Keep the "Draft" on the GA the same. They'll never know. :)

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Zonks:

He'd know the first time he ran aground.
If you re-calibrated his depth sounder during commissioning, he would just be cursing the 'wrong' soundings on the chart plotter...if you gave him the 6'4'' draught of the Valiant instead of 6' on the GA how would he ever know?

Last edited by a moderator:

chester

Super Anarchist
Hey @Bob Perry I got my very own Violet now!!!  Violet Grace a little over two months old and as you know, Violets are perfect!!!  Here she is already laughing at Grampa's jokes.

ee6e76b5-f210-41fb-bec2-66f5936fd03a.JPG

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Conga rats Chester. She is really cute. Now it's your job to spoil her rotten. Pay attention, time flies. My Violet is 5'5" and 10 years old now.

Violet eats.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
That’s a healthy portion for a growing young lady! She probably had seconds!!!

My 13 and 11 year old girls can put some food away and not gain a pound. Especially mac&cheese and mashed potatoes. Older one will steal the roast or Turkey off the counter like a dog if you’re not careful around her!

@chester Have fun with that cutie pie!

Student_Driver

Super Anarchist
Darien
Saw this big girl in Newport at the Shipyard. Reminded me of this project boat.. only slightly larger.  I get that 52' is a perfect size for two people (at the upper limit) with the occasional two guests.

OTOH, this would be the boat for those who absolutely must have space on deck for two Lasers & RIB with space below deck for a soccer team.

The former owners of my boat, went to a Hinckley 48, and I get that sailing is a preference, motoring is a necessity (for many.) Once you swallow that unpleasant reality, it comes down to motor sailor or motor boat. 

image.png