52 Super Series Thread

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I can't find a thread on this which started yesterday in Cape Town? Quantum off to a bad start and I'm wondering if they are missing Hutch big time? With 9-10 teams perhaps this could be the format for an affordable Americas Cup? Races 3 and 4 start in a couple of hours.

https://www.52superseries.com/

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
Have to admit it's cool to have the racing in a new venue and being pretty close to the shoreline for spectators.

Tender

Norway
Seems like Alegre (sb) and Sled (port) had a collision in race 1 today, and Sled did not start in race 2. Any intel? Sled got RDG on both races, on the tracer it seems they where on port tack.? Any jury desicions....?

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
"52 Super Series 2020 - Odzala Discovery Camps V&A Waterfront – Cape Town, RSA" - Playlist

Day 1:

Highlights Day1
Day1 Race1 Chasecam B-roll
Day1 Race1 Drone B-roll
Day1 Race2 Chasecam B-roll
Day1 Race2 Drone B-roll
Interview Hasso Plattner Phoenix11
Interview Paul Wilcox Phoenix11
Interview Seb Tenghage Alegre
Interview Michele Paoletti Azzurra
Interview Ian Ainslie Assistant Race Officer

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Sled had a broken shroud after the collision with Alegre - hopefully they've been able to repair it overnight.

Capetown looks like an awesome venue for these boats. I think Quantum have had another crew change this year and they seem to be needing some time to settle in - this happened last year too but by the end of event 1 they were back in the podium finishes, maybe the same this time around?

Phoenix have been training in Capetown since early January and it shows, solid start by Hasso on the 11 boat. Azzura just ticking away getting it done as per usual, ev3n with a new after-guard lineup...

Maybe this new thread will get some more attention, I've been wondering why the 52 series has had so little interest here for the last few years; it's some of the tightest racing with boats that are way quicker than 99% of sailors get to play with but still entirely relatable as a fixed keel monohull plus free live-tracking and video coverage.. isn't this what everyone was saying they missed over in the AC threads???

For more footage check out the @checconaglia account on instagram - Checco is  drone pilot who shoots footage for a bunch of TP teams and posts a lot on his account, really cool stuff...

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Sounds like Sled are out for the whole regatta - gutting for them, such close racing with no discards means this could impact the entire season...

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
Sounds like Sled are out for the whole regatta - gutting for them, such close racing with no discards means this could impact the entire season...
Presumably, they get average points for the remainder of this regatta.

Maybe this new thread will get some more attention, I've been wondering why the 52 series has had so little interest here for the last few years; it's some of the tightest racing with boats that are way quicker than 99% of sailors get to play with but still entirely relatable as a fixed keel monohull plus free live-tracking and video coverage.. isn't this what everyone was saying they missed over in the AC threads???
IMO, the bulk of the people on this site have transitioned from actual racers to armchair drama sailors. Keep the info coming for the 52SS. I’m looking forward to the live races and wish they would do full race replays for each race. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Day 2 added to the playlist:

Highlights Day2
Day2 Race3 ChaseCam B-roll
Day2 Race3 Drone B-roll
Day2 Race4 ChaseCam B-roll
Day2 Race4 Drone B-roll
Interview Alberto Barovier Bronenosec
Interview Andy Horton Phoenix11
Interview Guillermo Parada Azzurra
Interview Jean Luc Petithuguenin Paprec
Interview Andy Soriano Alegre

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Thanks Ren.   I wish they would make the highlights longer.
Indeed.

Some more B-roll stuff of day 3 added to the playlist. Interviews will be uploaded probably tomorrow when available.

Day3 Race5 ChaseCam B-roll
Day3 Race5 Drone B-roll
Day3 Race6 ChaseCam B-roll
Day3 Race6 Drone B-roll
Highlights Day3

Latest posts