52nd Thrash to the Onion Patch

Sinn Fein

New Jersey
So the real story here is how Stan Honey managed to bring downwind sailing to this latest N/B race…he must have some type of magical powers and as I see it he is poised to win the St. David’s Lighthouse. In these downwind conditions he is moving his old Cal 40 about as fast or faster than the boats in the next two or three classes above him…his boat is 40 miles ahead of the next Cal 40 and gaining… currently he is about 12 miles behind Carina who should have at least 25-30 miles on him at this stage in the race. The news reporting has been quite awful…three write ups on a multihull who was racing alone once the other multi dropped their rig. Clearly this has been a challenging race with several boats wiping out and retiring with damages…maybe we will see some coverage/news on the St. David’s fleet, etc. but for now the race is a bit more than half over and Illusion looks to actually be an Illusion on the course…they are way out there pissing with the big dogs…my Dad, Mega, would be proud of this effort….he often pissed with the big dogs…HAPPY FATHER’S DAY TO ALL!!!

Last edited:

Sinn Fein

New Jersey
With the expected lighter air moving in around this time and decreasing over the next day this race has changed in terms of overall fleet standings…The faster boats have a much better chance of correcting out over Illusion in St. Davids. Their mileage leads will increase dramatically in the forecasted lighter/dying/Bermuda High. I have not computed implied wind but figure it will be about 17 kts give or take…that implies that Carina needs to finish a bit more than 6 hours in front of the Cal 40(Illusion)…stay tuned, anything can happen here.

On a different note I am extremely saddened by the loss of Colin Golder. I had the opportunity to sail my first N/B race with him back in 1996 and he was just an awesome guy….RIP.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
With the expected lighter air moving in around this time and decreasing over the next day this race has changed in terms of overall fleet standings…The faster boats have a much better chance of correcting out over Illusion in St. Davids. Their mileage leads will increase dramatically in the forecasted lighter/dying/Bermuda High. I have not computed implied wind but figure it will be about 17 kts give or take…that implies that Carina needs to finish a bit more than 6 hours in front of the Cal 40(Illusion)…stay tuned, anything can happen here.

On a different note I am extremely saddened by the loss of Colin Golder. I had the opportunity to sail my first N/B race with him back in 1996 and he was just an awesome guy….RIP.

And incredibly sad event happened and my condolences go out to you
His family his friends and all of the crew of MoM
Eight bells

Sinn Fein

New Jersey
Looks like Illusion is on top…but seems to be another scoring glitch. Carina finished around 2am, Illusion around 5:25 Am. They already have Illusion scored with 1 class, 1 fleet, Nothing for Carina yet?..WTF…that’s a new one…

SW Dropout

Super Anarchist
Looks like Illusion is on top…but seems to be another scoring glitch. Carina finished around 2am, Illusion around 5:25 Am. They already have Illusion scored with 1 class, 1 fleet, Nothing for Carina yet?..WTF…that’s a new one…
Several other boats have been finished for hours and are not showing up in the scores, but others who have finished recently are showing up. We'll just have to wait until the end, old school style, but pretty odd.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Is there a way to compare the results from Gibs Hill and St. Davids divisions together. Right now there are two winners, Illusion and Warrior Won, but their corrected times are wildly different between the divisions, so no way to tell who won overall.

Sinn Fein

New Jersey
They will get a time penalty just enough not to change anything
Yeah…I hear you….like the 15 minute penalty they gave Carina after it was discovered that a pro was driving the boat in St. David’s Light Division. Up until that point all penalty infractions started at an hour, if you were over the line by 2 seconds that was an hour penalty, but somehow Carina got the 15 minute slap on the wrist and stole the lighthouse from the Navy Midshipmen….what a travesty there. I’m surprised that the high ranking Navy Admirals let that stand…but again this points to the preferential treatment that some boats have been given over the years while other boats receive the full inspection and then some…this race has a long history of this sort of crap…it is disgusting.

Sinn Fein

New Jersey
Not to mention the driver he said he didnt realize was a pro was his own employee.
Kit Will and Dee Smith, Benj were on Cougar, but yeah, its all about Lenny :)
Illusion was loaded with all top world championship talent. But yeah, its the 'amateur' division.
I heard once that Sinn Fein use to wait until after the posted deadline to get last minute weather and then determine sail selection and rating, and happily pay the required fine? Then they changed that rule. Not sure if its accurate and not disgusting, but not in the spirit of the rule either :)
yeah, wrong boat on that…

Last edited:

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
No. That is the same. The issue is the corrected times for the Gibbs Hill Division seem to be calculated differently than the St. Davids. Case in point, Warrior Won and Callisto, both Pac 52's with virtually the same rating. The finished 1 hour apart, but their corrected times are 8 hours different. WW is in Gibbs Hill and Callisto in St. Davids (Pro vs. no Pro).

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
FWIW, if I do some of my own math to compare Gibs Hill and St. David's it looks like the smallest boat in the fleet a SunFast 3300 with no pro's onboard finished 3rd overall behind Illusion and Warrior Won.

Latest posts