65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
There is an old saying "that once you've finished building you're first boat you're ready to start building you're first boat". By that logic HR is going to have at least one more project ahead of him before he is ready to build a boat.

HypnoToad

Anarchist
wombat6025 said:
My cat just did a perfect impression of HR - arrived at the litter box, made all the right noises and even ran up and down the hall three times in celebration of her successful movement; but having missed the mark completely some other sod has to clean s**t from the carpet.
Brilliant!

rpengr

Florida
I go with #7, a random kid with a toy boat that accidentally bumps into it?

or #9, Mother-in-law (R.I.P.), for not keeping her wheelchair wheels over the 2x4s?

Last edited by a moderator:

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I don't have time to go back and read the build log here, someone just tell me if he put any caulking of any kind or seal sealer or glassed over the hull seams? And is the leaking getting worse? Poor bastard; you reall have to feel sorry for blokes like him and Stowe and tin man... sigh... But the humor force is very stong with this one, eh?

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
Billy, he appears to have only taped the external seams with 1 layer of chopped strand mat about 6 inches wide. The inside of the hull is painted in epoxy after it has been assembled. The vast majority of timber is simply joined using a battery drill, using steel screws, carriage bolts and tin joinst hangers. There doesnt appear to be any epoxy used in the boat as glue, apart from a couple of isolated areas, where it looks like he had a wet brush handy at the time.

Now that the stringers in the floor are submerged in rising bilge water/hosedown water/rainwater, the fact that they have not been glued to the hull will cause the next problem. They have only been painted with epoxy on the three visible faces, not the bearing surface against the hull. Water will now enter both the plywood and the stringer, swelling both. This will pull the screw heads deeper into the substandard plywood, creating cracks in the external paintjob/epoxy coating, causing more water to enter the timber. The frames and stringers are substandard timber, not suitable for housing construction.

Substandard timber is timber cut from logs where the grain is exceptionally knotty or not straight. Because the grain is not straight, the only way of air drying it is to tie it up with plastic banding as soon as it leaves the saw/planer, and leave it in the yard to dry, banded. The effect is that pieces in the centre of the pack rarely dries sufficiently. Timber density often varies considerably within each piece, meaning that as it dries, it shrinks at different rates. This means that each stud is a slightly different size to the next one, and sometimes over its own length, it varies as well. Knots make it very weak. Sometimes its so bad that you can drop the end of one from a height of 5 feet, and the stud will break across the knot.

When you buy a banded pack of substandard stud timber, the only way of telling it is substandard is to look for the knots and the stamps. In the pack, it looks exactly the same as house grade stud timber, BUT IT IS A LOT CHEAPER.

When you cut the bands, stand back. All the pieces start to spring apart. You have to use it up really fast because it starts swelling, cupping, twisting, bowing, bending, straight away. The centre of the pack is the worst because it is less dried. Thats why Rod has used so many short pieces in the boat, including the step chine effect, and why he had to rip down the studs into half their size to make stringers that would be more inclined to comply with the plywood. You can bet that the surface in contact with the plywood is "off saw", not planed, so theres plenty of capacity for bilgewater water to enter it. Now here is where it gets interesting.

When immersed in just a small amount of water, this type of timber goes absolutely nuts distorting itself. Its not just the substandard plywood he has to worry about. Its what the timber is going to start doing to him now that it is getting wet.. I built a double carport out of this stuff and within 6 months, it was out of control. I binned the whole project.

His side deck and rear deck cambers say that rainwater will run aft along the cabin side/deck join, down the stern stairs, and onto his aft deck, where it will run into the boat through cracks in his stairs, and under the sliding patio door. He would have discovered this when he hosed down the boat.

The scene downstairs will be horrific, with everything bending twisting and swelling, seams popping, screws submerging.....

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I just realized something - when I was 12 a friend and I built a tree house that was more seaworthy than HR's mess. It was built out of good cedar T&G boards that would have swelled shut when they got wet.

Hubris is the best word to describe this whole story.

billy backstay

I just realized something - when I was 12 a friend and I built a tree house that was more seaworthy than HR's mess. It was built out of good cedar T&G boards that would have swelled shut when they got wet.

Hubris is the best word to describe this whole story.
When I was just 6 years old, I made a 5 foot plywood Dory and sealed inside the seams with that grey putty we used for sealing glass or something? Don't think it ever hit the water, but was probably better "engineered" that Flyin' Hawaiin... LOL!

billy backstay

Thanks wombat, will do. I have to kill another 3 slow hours in a totally quiet tool crib with zero customers, but I am deathly afraid I will get sucked in and read the thread all night, and I really need the sleep after 3 17 hour days in a row, mate!

Edit - Holy Sheepshit Batman!!! That is quite obviously the cheapest crappiest grade of lumber known to man! I wouldn't house my fucking chickens in something built with that. He would have had to coat both sides immediately with a half inch thick epoxy coating to have any hope of it not immediately coming apart. There is a fine line between genius and nutjob and it's pretty obvious which side of the line this poor bastard is. Sad really.....

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
I care not if HotRod admidts to his errors or not. Wishing him well, even on such a backhanded level, is only to reward hubris. That's just wrong. I favor an outcome where HotRod goes down with the ship and out in a blaze of instructive sturm und drang. The only good that can come of this is the possibility of deterring some other fool from self-destruction. HotRod's cause is lost; some are too soft to admit it.
The deal is, people do this sort of thing all the time. People build marginal craft or buy a craft ready for the dumpster and shove off to sea ill-prepared on any number of different levels. It happens way more often then we hear about it. Funny thing, most of them actually make it. Many don't, of course, and we read about these yahoos plucked out of the sea off Costa Rica or wherever.

What sets Reid and Abby Sunderland and TinCan and HotRod apart is that they are insatiable attention whores or arrogant pricks. I don't care what their religion or politics are, what color their skin, what ethnicity... pricks are pricks and I don't like 'em. Egomaniacs can all go suck a big fat one but I wouldn't know; I won't be in the same postal code.

Mike_Fink

Maysville
Someone should write a book about How NOT to build a wooden boat and provide the kind of insight into lumber selection that TTT and others have provided here. After the Raw faith fiasco and now this, it is clear that some people intnding very big projects just don't get it. Of course the HR's of the World refuse to read books or otherwise seek qualified instruction, so we will likely always have these freakshows to provide entertainment.

Thinking on HR's apparent mindset and possible motivations, it seems to me that there is really something wrong with the poor guy. I mean, he has a child's world view that boats float because they are made of wood and wood floats, therefore he can make a boat out of any wood he can lay his hands on and it will be perfectly adequate for his stated purpose. He childishly believes that all it takes to make a sailboat go 30 knots across the Pacific is some half assed improvised rig, and that all it takes to make a blue water sailor out of a landsman is an afternoon on the bay in someone else's boat and some wind on the day he casts off. He childishly thinks (as someone has already pointed out), that the South Pacific is some kind of undiscovered "free for all" full of bountiful uninhabited islands where he can easily live well off the land and sea for free. You would be nieve simply to have these ideas in your head at mid life as it is, but you really have to be some kind of imbecile to put time, money,resources, and lives in jeapordy following through on these stacked fantasies. He has so committed himself to failure through his own choices, it cannot possibly be anything else at this point but sheer stupudity.

Based upon information coming to light from our SA observer corps in the vicinity, I will have to change my estimate of the situation and probable outcome.

I now suspect he will be increasingly unable to deal with the water ingress in the near term and will make a frantic last minute scramble to haul this think back up the ramp. Not sure if it will be days or weeks, but it seems like his simple washdown might have put water in the bilge and started the inevitable reaction. I doubt he will now have the chance to test the FH in open water under either sail or power.

LB 15

Cunt
hey people nana here with a little info on this project. this is my first post and so sorry if I do bad.

I'm a bay area native who is part of HR,s extended family. I cant tell you how sea worthy the FH is or isn't.

I can tell you we wont have long to wait. I would ask forum members here to support HR for just one reason, having a dream and working oneself to the bone to make your dream happen.

2 men making a boat. or a house or a combo of the two. in two years while working side jobs to do it deserves recognition!!

Dreams can and do often change to nightmares in the blink of an eye. Many people in the middle of our country are living through this as I type this. due to powerful storms

I would ask for this forum to help HR in everyway possible . Insults to a boxer or mma fighter don't do a thing when they come from the crowd.

If you post comments here that you are two chicken ship to say to rods face you are far less than a sailor. real men have the nads to say what they mean to the person they are saying it too.

most common comments 1 what is it? = a cupcake

2 how do you know it floats =resin covered wood floats(possibly many pieces)but floats..

3 when will you launch= when they/we are ready.

I am worried about many things on this build. because I have done many metal parts on the FH . I work as a cnc machinist. Another boat I make parts for is team Artemis racing. the Americas cup cat..Did it capsize do to lack of experience/skill or not enough engineering?? or expensive materials.. Mother nature wins. just a matter or time.

So just so you all know HR is driven by universe! Universe is making it all happen against all odds. i'm not sure why, nature may demand a sacrifice, or likes to make fools of internet posters. I think both!!

Point Is I want to know who is willing to see us fly or fail. Celebrate with us or drag our asses out of the bay. I will post again tomorrow . HR wasn't too happy and now the lawyer is on the job if you are using a likeness of HR or FH this is your only warning .stop now or face full prosecution to the maximum extent of the law. If your taking pics. have the guts to say i'm posting it on the web ok rod.

if you have the will and means to help with $ or rescue floatilla and or equipment let me know 10 am tomorrow at the loch lomond marina

we will give 20 min on board tour with the soon to be in/famous Hot Rod asking $100 donation. Iets see if enough people come out to make one side of FH drop at all. I think not.

and lastly remember what Gandhi say.....

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win . by Mahatma Gandhi.

We are ready for the fight ..hehe 10 am see u jellies
Post of the thread so far. "Two chicken ship"? Please, please, please ask 'cousin rod' to rename it that.

rpengr

Florida
Thanks wombat, will do. I have to kill another 3 slow hours in a totally quiet tool crib with zero customers, but I am deathly afraid I will get sucked in and read the thread all night, and I really need the sleep after 3 17 hour days in a row, mate!
Come on! Read the whole thing!

I did, and it only took 92 hours. (remember, you didn't really read the whole thing unless you got sucked into every tangent story along the way)

Mike_Fink

Maysville

I did, and it only took 92 hours. (remember, you didn't really read the whole thing unless you got sucked into every tangent story along the way)
It reminds me of the Appalachian Trail through hikers who simply cannot bear the thought of missing a single blaze for fear of not being able to claim that they really hiked the whole trail. I'm not really proud of this, but I did send one all the way back down a mountian once because I merely suggested that his route up had bypassed a 1/4 mile of the AT.

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist

It reminds me of the Appalachian Trail through hikers who simply cannot bear the thought of missing a single blaze for fear of not being able to claim that they really hiked the whole trail. I'm not really proud of this, but I did send one all the way back down a mountian once because I merely suggested that his route up had bypassed a 1/4 mile of the AT.
snort! That's funny. Ever read "A Walk In the Woods" by Bill Bryson? Funny AT stuff, pro writer, very good. Recommended.

Mike_Fink

Maysville

snort! That's funny. Ever read "A Walk In the Woods" by Bill Bryson? Funny AT stuff, pro writer, very good. Recommended.
Yes, Bryson is very funny and I think that is his best book. The one he did about England is also good. He needs to do something similar for sailors/cruisers, it would be a sure best seller.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Someone should write a book about How NOT to build a wooden boat and provide the kind of insight into lumber selection that TTT and others have provided here. After the Raw faith fiasco and now this, it is clear that some people intnding very big projects just don't get it. Of course the HR's of the World refuse to read books or otherwise seek qualified instruction, so we will likely always have these freakshows to provide entertainment.

Thinking on HR's apparent mindset and possible motivations, it seems to me that there is really something wrong with the poor guy. I mean, he has a child's world view that boats float because they are made of wood and wood floats, therefore he can make a boat out of any wood he can lay his hands on and it will be perfectly adequate for his stated purpose. He childishly believes that all it takes to make a sailboat go 30 knots across the Pacific is some half assed improvised rig, and that all it takes to make a blue water sailor out of a landsman is an afternoon on the bay in someone else's boat and some wind on the day he casts off. He childishly thinks (as someone has already pointed out), that the South Pacific is some kind of undiscovered "free for all" full of bountiful uninhabited islands where he can easily live well off the land and sea for free. You would be nieve simply to have these ideas in your head at mid life as it is, but you really have to be some kind of imbecile to put time, money,resources, and lives in jeapordy following through on these stacked fantasies. He has so committed himself to failure through his own choices, it cannot possibly be anything else at this point but sheer stupudity.

Based upon information coming to light from our SA observer corps in the vicinity, I will have to change my estimate of the situation and probable outcome.

I now suspect he will be increasingly unable to deal with the water ingress in the near term and will make a frantic last minute scramble to haul this think back up the ramp. Not sure if it will be days or weeks, but it seems like his simple washdown might have put water in the bilge and started the inevitable reaction. I doubt he will now have the chance to test the FH in open water under either sail or power.
Golf clap. Well said.

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist

Yes, Bryson is very funny and I think that is his best book. The one he did about England is also good. He needs to do something similar for sailors/cruisers, it would be a sure best seller.
Notes from a big county, Funny as, although it does take the piss out of America.