65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Hold up ... a boat forum banned Bob Freaking Perry for rule violations !?!!?!

That's like a honeymoon suite banning intercourse.

WTF kind of mamaluke runs a boat site that bans Bob Perry? How does that field trip thingy work?
That made me chuckle. :D

Having been introduced to SA by this thread, I have to say I like the 'directness' here. I've had a couple of posts moderated over on CF, and they wouldn't have even registered on the SA radar.

I wish HRs son had posted here, then I could have told him what I really thought rather than the crap I was limited to on on CF, which had to use long words he didn't even understand.

So, hi people. One CF/SA dual citizen here.

Oh, and latest post from HRs son on CF:

"Well that has to be taken up with the the inspectors who have been out many times. Do you realy think they would have passed it? If so maybe the public should try to change that. With all the eyes on this project do you really think that no one has showed up? Fire dept,police dept,cost gard, boat inspectors, and the public. everyone has had there eye on it. All the restrictions that are already in place. would they just say yes go head. And if there where no sinking boat all ready big little pro built or not these people whould be standing in an unemployment line not wanting for my father to sink. so you have your pros and cons to everything."

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/some-say-there-are-no-ugly-catamarans-104607-14.html
LOL did they have a proper home electrician on board to inspect the wiring? Cuz Coast Guard wouldn't know what to do with house grade wiring. HA HA

dyslexic dog

Super Anarchist
Michigan
Hold up ... a boat forum banned Bob Freaking Perry for rule violations !?!!?!

That's like a honeymoon suite banning intercourse.

WTF kind of mamaluke runs a boat site that bans Bob Perry? How does that field trip thingy work?
That made me chuckle. :D

Having been introduced to SA by this thread, I have to say I like the 'directness' here. I've had a couple of posts moderated over on CF, and they wouldn't have even registered on the SA radar.

I wish HRs son had posted here, then I could have told him what I really thought rather than the crap I was limited to on on CF, which had to use long words he didn't even understand.

So, hi people. One CF/SA dual citizen here.

"Well that has to be taken up with the the inspectors who have been out many times. Do you realy think they would have passed it? If so maybe the public should try to change that. With all the eyes on this project do you really think that no one has showed up? Fire dept,police dept,cost gard, boat inspectors, and the public. everyone has had there eye on it. All the restrictions that are already in place. would they just say yes go head. And if there where no sinking boat all ready big little pro built or not these people whould be standing in an unemployment line not wanting for my father to sink. so you have your pros and cons to everything."

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/some-say-there-are-no-ugly-catamarans-104607-14.html
LOL did they have a proper home electrician on board to inspect the wiring? Cuz Coast Guard wouldn't know what to do with house grade wiring. HA HA
If I am not mistaken, Boats do not fall under the NEC code rules. Common sense yes.

Mike_Fink

Maysville

Seems to be an accomplished liar just like his Dad. If the USGC inspected this thing already I will eat my hat. The Police?? are you telling me they dropped by under some pretense of official business and inspected "it" too? Sure. No mention of the Harbor master though, that one I could believe.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
... ...

There's an interesting twist, the Flyin' Hawhinin' is boost to the economy. HR is providing jobs to those who stand around waiting for a boat to sink so they can rescue it!

As for saying that the boat has been inspected, well that's a lot of bull. We all know the USCG doesn't even inspect documented vessels much less undocumented ones, there are no "boat inspectors" licensed to protect the public from themselves, and the only reason I can think the police department might have been summoned is to force HR to move when his lease is up.

Here we have a family of people who seem to believe their own BS. Sincerity- once you can fake that, you've got it made! Now all we need to do is wait for HR and fambly to decide on a land war in Asia... surely all the people who think that's a bad idea are morons just like all the boat builders!

About that Cruiser's Forum... I spend very little time there. It's overloaded with ads and the "opinions" are usually pablum from self-appointed arm-chair experts. Little useful content IMHO and nowhere near as entertaining. Over here, you have to go thru a rigorous initiation: so show us the tits MF'er (or E-flyer if you like) and then fuck off.

FB- Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
Of course this happens next.....................

6241737.png
Negative, the pic before yours shows a clean SRB separation like what some of you think will happend to the FH. I am betting she is just going to swamp herself at the dock or mooring before she ever gets to sea.

When Challenger was lost the failure occurred when the right SRB had an ‘O’ ring gasket failure that caused the external fuel tank to rupture.

Well, I just read all of H.R. Jr's posts on the CF, and I have to say that his grammar and spelling, not to mention the pure, lucid eloquence of his prose, are all up to the standards we have grown to expect and cherish from any of the other works of El Señor Hot Rod.

I

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
Um. . . I think I've discovered a hidden prophecy in these new pics that serves to highlight the fundamental interconnectedness of all things. That lettering he used for the boat name appears to be some variant of the Fiesta font--a font usually reserved for things like the menu for a cheap Mexican restaurant. . . . . .

When this thing tacos, you're going to remember this omen.

James out.
Really???

I kinda like the font! I am going to give the props to HR on this one!

Go the Hot Rod! Put some sails up and fire up the grill!!!

mikewof

mikewof
The sad thing is that people have been building boats for some 140,000 years and HR&family have chosen to disregard that body of knowledge, instead they trumphet their adventurous spirit...

My grandmother had a saying, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"
I have a feeling that Hot Rod isn't going to regret this. He did what we've all done, he built a shitty boat. But he did it bigger and shittier than any of us.
Show me to any bar in any craphole outside of Tacoma and I would much rather drink with the fool than the angel. If you've died without a 65-foot catamaran full of regret, maybe you've just never lived hard enough.

Here's what I would do if I was wealthy ... I would buy that POS boat from HR and then under the cover of darkness I would pump the whole friggen thing full of expensive foam stiffener, save some stowage space just to provision it to The Marshall Islands. Then I would hire Reid to drift the unsinkable monstrosity, y'know, just to mess with reality a little bit.

By the way, my shitty boat was made with pvc pipe and 6 mil plastic sheeting. It was marginally safer than HR's boat because one tends not to install 120 VAC on a kayak.

Last edited by a moderator:

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Pretty sure if you were wealthy the last thing in your mind was to go waste your time fooling around with HR's Cat err pussy.

I'm too lazy to go back and find the pictures of the kitchen but isn't there a full gas range and oven in the kitchen? If so we missed this as another way FH could destroy itself, by fire!

I think this is why I'm hooked on this thread there are so many possibilities for this to end badly!

Jangles13

Anarchist
Maine
Are we sure it's not a daughter?

Quotes leading me to this:

"By the way i am very proud of my father and my brother"
"Of course you dont want the daughter of the man you insulted to take offence what now that he half way there you had a chance in heart."

No that it matters, of course.

I think Hot Rod has successfully weaved his way through the cracks in the system:

Fire department: "As a construction site, yes, you have a fire extinguisher" (we don't know nuffin about boats)

Building Inspector: "There's no permit to inspect against" (and we don't inspect boats)

Police: "Um... this stuff ain't stolen, is it?"

Coast Guard: (rubber stamps application)

Property Owner: "I don't care, just get it off my lot by June 1"

Similar to the way he avoided all offers of help or advice... cause it's important to save the "nobody helped" whine. Watch him play the 'victim' when the inevitable happens.

I'm reminded of the religious parable about the guy and the flood. Except with HR, it's not faith, but pigheadedness that will be his downfall.

Still the race is on: Will the bottom turn to mush and sink it where it sits, or will the two hulls decide to go separate ways... Guess it depends on weather, and whether or not HR tries to take it out of the harbor.

And to HR or his son: Yes, I do care, because I sail those same waters, and don't want to hit the debris field with my boat - which is still floating after 35 years. I don't wish to see anyone get hurt; I believe that 'boat' is a deathtrap and if there is anything I can do to prevent injury or death, I feel I must. At my distance, all I can offer is words - which I know will fall on deaf ears. But I'll repeat someone else's offer; When I do get up to my boat, I'd be glad to take you both out for a day sail on the bay where we can feel the full force of the wind in the slot, and the chop of an adverse current.

Come to think of it, I haven't been in that corner of the bay, I may try to find the San Rafael creek inlet channel and get up there in person. I'll take it as a challenge with my 5' draft.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Aw shucks. How hard could it be for someone of HR's caliber to add a couple-three dolphin-strikers to that thing? Home Depot sells wire rope and turnbuckles don't they? Well - maybe a salvage yard would have better stuff... tighten up that sag right out of her for sure.

Don't forget, NASA had to rebuild the Hubble Space Telescope after they launched the darned thing into orbit. And who paid for that?

:p

I am sitting by the pool relaxing in preparation for a job I am starting in a few days that will likely take a good part of my attention from this forum for a while. I will continue to post with photos but there is no way that I can keep up with the voracious appetite for information displayed here. Don't worry I'm not leaving but a rebalance is comming shortly.

I have read the posts by nanaj, myfather (on CF) and the responses to them and want offer a response of my own. (I do hope the principals read this.)

I suspect that humans have always spoken about each other behind their backs. Sometimes with great concern and compassion, sometimes cruelly and callously, and always with everything in between. The reality of the internet has made a good part of that conversation accessible to everyone including the subjects of those conversations. In a sense it’s like being naked at your senior prom and reading everyone’s mind. This new reality requires a good measure of toughness if you are going to remain sane. Moreover, it can be said that sanity and civility in society requires a “zone of privacy” where you can retreat from the criticism of others. Most of us like to think that zone begins at home, and it would appear that now launched Flyin Hawaiian is Hot Rod’s home. This said there are many situations where what you live in and how you live in it are open both legally and morally to intrusion.

Let me offer some examples that I am very familiar with...... You’re walking down the street and you see a fellow digging a very deep hole in his front yard and he has taken no precautions to limit the walls from caving in. You don’t know the first thing about excavation, but intuitively, this concerns you and you speak to him. The man says that he is a master ditch digger and knows what he is doing. You walk by a few days later and you see that the hole is now deeper than he is tall and still no shoring or reinforcement; what do you do?......... Now, let’s say your neighbor builds a non-permitted, non conforming in-law apartment or basement addition and then invites the neighbors over to have a look at it and take photos. Certainly the neighbors have every right if not an obligation to make this situation known, particularly if they think it will jeopardize the health and safety of those that might live there. They might go to the building authority and ask them to look in to it, and or go to others who might be able to bring some peer pressure in an effort to set things on a safer more prudent course. Even if the apartment or addition was “legal” in every respect and you saw something you thought potentially problematic wouldn’t it seem appropriate to inquire of those with more expertise whether this condition was safe and or structurally sound. Again, let’s say that you bring it to the builders’ attention and they dismisses your concerns. Would that be enough for you to just let it go?

I may not need to remind people that in this particular case Hot Rod initially sought media exposure and even now seems to welcome it as long as it is positive and supportive. Now 'nanaj' and 'myfather' wish to communicate Hot Rod’s desire to just be left alone. The reality is that you cannot un-ring this bell. I for one would like to see more posts from this person or persons. Give us more specifics about the boat and explain substantively why you and Hot Rod are so convinced that it is sound. There are many people here that are just curious to know whether or not the bilges are dry. How would this information in and of itself be a problem? Perhaps you don’t have the time or inclination to respond in this way, but at minimum please explain to us what you think is wrong with revealing or examining the structure and build of the boat.

I have seen several of these types of scenes play out and invariably the hole digger, homeowner and boat builder is resistant to advice and even legal sanction. Does this mean that they should just be left to their own devices? I will confess that I have a hard time with this. Indeed, there is this notion of Social Darwinism but this doesn’t seem to describe the attitude, values, and beliefs of most civilized people.

For my own part I came to this forum and continue to come with the images I have made to bring as much factual accuracy to this discussion as possible. I have tried very diligently NOT to offer an assessment or an evaluation of what I see. I have written again and again that while I do have an opinion about the construction and seaworthiness of this craft I have chosen to try and not offer it here. It was curiosity about “the yacht” that first drew me to it, and when I saw some of the wild speculation about it on SA I felt I could do more than just satisfy my curiosity about the build and structure of the big cat. There is no doubt in my mind that people have a right to engage in a discussion of this craft. It is not simply a case of intruding or leaving these people to do as they please. Inland and coastal waters are a shared resource that affords many of us substantial, but not limitless, freedom to pursue our passions. That said, I will paraphrase, “with great freedom comes great responsibility”, for ourselves AND others. Indeed, the open sea may afford even more freedom, but even this is not without its limits. If the Flyin Hawaiian goes down or disintegrates in some fashion it is most likely that one of us, risking our own safety in the process, will be first on the scene to collect it’s crew. If there is debris left in the water, we’re the ones who will have to navigate around it and pay with our taxes and fees the cost for clean up.

Personally, as I have said before, I think it the better part of valor to avoid personal attacks and character assassination. Again, for what it’s worth, to me Hot Rod and his crew seem like good, sincere, and decent people.

LB 15

Cunt
Well, I just read all of H.R. Jr's posts on the CF, and I have to say that his grammar and spelling, not to mention the pure, lucid eloquence of his prose, are all up to the standards we have grown to expect and cherish from any of the other works of El Señor Hot Rod.

I
His two greatest contributions so far have been 'Go head' and 'Two chicken ship'.

It is still early days of course.