65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Timo42

Super Anarchist
The sad thing is that people have been building boats for some 140,000 years and HR&family have chosen to disregard that body of knowledge, instead they trumphet their adventurous spirit...

My grandmother had a saying, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"
Where did you get that data? 6000 at best... Unless woolen mammals were sailing way back when...
I misstated, 130,000 years, they found evidence of human settlement on Crete, stone age tools and such, and Crete has been an island for 5 million years or so, they had to get there somehow, they must have had boats at least as advanced as the FH... cite

The sad thing is that people have been building boats for some 140,000 years and HR&family have chosen to disregard that body of knowledge, instead they trumphet their adventurous spirit...

Where did you get that data? 6000 at best... Unless woolen mammals were sailing way back when...
I misstated, 130,000 years, they found evidence of human settlement on Crete, stone age tools and such, and Crete has been an island for 5 million years or so, they had to get there somehow, they must have had boats at least as advanced as the FH... cite
'Redviking', I am really curious to know what you mean by "woolen mammals". Sheep? I don't think they sail even these days.

Timo42, thanks a lot for citing your source. It is a very interesting article, and yes they do say 130,000 years ago.

"The geological contexts at five of the sites, including associations with raised marine terraces and fossil soils, suggest an approximate age of 130,000 B.P. for the oldest artifacts, and they are probably much older. The presence of Lower Palaeolithic sites is strong evidence for an early period of seafaring in the Mediterranean, with implications that the colonization of Europe by early African hominins was not exclusively land-based."

U20guy2

Super Anarchist

Reed based craft were built and designed based on trial and error so far HR has no trial testing and the only marine building material he used was Resin. LOL

europaflyer

London
Have you ever been on one of those sailboat thingies?

How's you duct tape/kids missing leg/stick thing coming along?

a) what's a sailboat? assumed this forum was about the overthrowing of political order and creation of a lawless free for all of rape and pillage

b ) now you're not making any sense at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirc

I am sitting by the pool relaxing in preparation for a job I am starting in a few days that will likely take a good part of my attention from this forum for a while. I will continue to post with photos but there is no way that I can keep up with the voracious appetite for information displayed here. Don't worry I'm not leaving but a rebalance is comming shortly.

I have read the posts by nanaj, myfather (on CF) and the responses to them and want offer a response of my own. (I do hope the principals read this.)

I suspect that humans have always spoken about each other behind their backs. Sometimes with great concern and compassion, sometimes cruelly and callously, and always with everything in between. The reality of the internet has made a good part of that conversation accessible to everyone including the subjects of those conversations. In a sense it’s like being naked at your senior prom and reading everyone’s mind. This new reality requires a good measure of toughness if you are going to remain sane. Moreover, it can be said that sanity and civility in society requires a “zone of privacy” where you can retreat from the criticism of others. Most of us like to think that zone begins at home, and it would appear that now launched Flyin Hawaiian is Hot Rod’s home. This said there are many situations where what you live in and how you live in it are open both legally and morally to intrusion.

Let me offer some examples that I am very familiar with...... You’re walking down the street and you see a fellow digging a very deep hole in his front yard and he has taken no precautions to limit the walls from caving in. You don’t know the first thing about excavation, but intuitively, this concerns you and you speak to him. The man says that he is a master ditch digger and knows what he is doing. You walk by a few days later and you see that the hole is now deeper than he is tall and still no shoring or reinforcement; what do you do?......... Now, let’s say your neighbor builds a non-permitted, non conforming in-law apartment or basement addition and then invites the neighbors over to have a look at it and take photos. Certainly the neighbors have every right if not an obligation to make this situation known, particularly if they think it will jeopardize the health and safety of those that might live there. They might go to the building authority and ask them to look in to it, and or go to others who might be able to bring some peer pressure in an effort to set things on a safer more prudent course. Even if the apartment or addition was “legal” in every respect and you saw something you thought potentially problematic wouldn’t it seem appropriate to inquire of those with more expertise whether this condition was safe and or structurally sound. Again, let’s say that you bring it to the builders’ attention and they dismisses your concerns. Would that be enough for you to just let it go?

I may not need to remind people that in this particular case Hot Rod initially sought media exposure and even now seems to welcome it as long as it is positive and supportive. Now 'nanaj' and 'myfather' wish to communicate Hot Rod’s desire to just be left alone. The reality is that you cannot un-ring this bell. I for one would like to see more posts from this person or persons. Give us more specifics about the boat and explain substantively why you and Hot Rod are so convinced that it is sound. There are many people here that are just curious to know whether or not the bilges are dry. How would this information in and of itself be a problem? Perhaps you don’t have the time or inclination to respond in this way, but at minimum please explain to us what you think is wrong with revealing or examining the structure and build of the boat.

I have seen several of these types of scenes play out and invariably the hole digger, homeowner and boat builder is resistant to advice and even legal sanction. Does this mean that they should just be left to their own devices? I will confess that I have a hard time with this. Indeed, there is this notion of Social Darwinism but this doesn’t seem to describe the attitude, values, and beliefs of most civilized people.

For my own part I came to this forum and continue to come with the images I have made to bring as much factual accuracy to this discussion as possible. I have tried very diligently NOT to offer an assessment or an evaluation of what I see. I have written again and again that while I do have an opinion about the construction and seaworthiness of this craft I have chosen to try and not offer it here. It was curiosity about “the yacht” that first drew me to it, and when I saw some of the wild speculation about it on SA I felt I could do more than just satisfy my curiosity about the build and structure of the big cat. There is no doubt in my mind that people have a right to engage in a discussion of this craft. It is not simply a case of intruding or leaving these people to do as they please. Inland and coastal waters are a shared resource that affords many of us substantial, but not limitless, freedom to pursue our passions. That said, I will paraphrase, “with great freedom comes great responsibility”, for ourselves AND others. Indeed, the open sea may afford even more freedom, but even this is not without its limits. If the Flyin Hawaiian goes down or disintegrates in some fashion it is most likely that one of us, risking our own safety in the process, will be first on the scene to collect it’s crew. If there is debris left in the water, we’re the ones who will have to navigate around it and pay with our taxes and fees the cost for clean up.

Personally, as I have said before, I think it the better part of valor to avoid personal attacks and character assassination. Again, for what it’s worth, to me Hot Rod and his crew seem like good, sincere, and decent people.
lilmurray, in all honesty you're too good for us lot ... we build our own ships and piss on everyone elses :p ... but we know we all do and it really helps in the end

thank you for raising the bar, we don't go that high often enough imho

I expect your job endeavors will go swimmingly well, and you will still spend too much time here with us, its ok, guilty pleasures are all human, too little communication happens and its because most interactions are too fleeting to begin with. I think that fundamental downturn is a factor in avg. IQ these days... and now I'm rambling lol

agree with your approach of course, perfect voice of reason

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Yeah, this is a beautiful place. Fair dinkum unique anyway.

redviking

Anarchist

I have a feeling that Hot Rod isn't going to regret this. He did what we've all done, he built a shitty boat. But he did it bigger and shittier than any of us.
Show me to any bar in any craphole outside of Tacoma and I would much rather drink with the fool than the angel. If you've died without a 65-foot catamaran full of regret, maybe you've just never lived hard enough.

Here's what I would do if I was wealthy ... I would buy that POS boat from HR and then under the cover of darkness I would pump the whole friggen thing full of expensive foam stiffener, save some stowage space just to provision it to The Marshall Islands. Then I would hire Reid to drift the unsinkable monstrosity, y'know, just to mess with reality a little bit.

By the way, my shitty boat was made with pvc pipe and 6 mil plastic sheeting. It was marginally safer than HR's boat because one tends not to install 120 VAC on a kayak.
Geez, no... Not you wofmeister... That's what I have been trying to say for a wee bit... Go the Rod! How can we make this possible? Cheaper Gunboats for everyone, ok, just me... We should be all about the dream... Hell, I have a lot of sprouts and cheese aboard already. I just need some Soy Sauce.

redviking

Anarchist
I think Hot Rod has successfully weaved his way through the cracks in the system:

Fire department: "As a construction site, yes, you have a fire extinguisher" (we don't know nuffin about boats)

Building Inspector: "There's no permit to inspect against" (and we don't inspect boats)

Police: "Um... this stuff ain't stolen, is it?"

Coast Guard: (rubber stamps application)

Property Owner: "I don't care, just get it off my lot by June 1"

Similar to the way he avoided all offers of help or advice... cause it's important to save the "nobody helped" whine. Watch him play the 'victim' when the inevitable happens.

I'm reminded of the religious parable about the guy and the flood. Except with HR, it's not faith, but pigheadedness that will be his downfall.

Still the race is on: Will the bottom turn to mush and sink it where it sits, or will the two hulls decide to go separate ways... Guess it depends on weather, and whether or not HR tries to take it out of the harbor.

And to HR or his son: Yes, I do care, because I sail those same waters, and don't want to hit the debris field with my boat - which is still floating after 35 years. I don't wish to see anyone get hurt; I believe that 'boat' is a deathtrap and if there is anything I can do to prevent injury or death, I feel I must. At my distance, all I can offer is words - which I know will fall on deaf ears. But I'll repeat someone else's offer; When I do get up to my boat, I'd be glad to take you both out for a day sail on the bay where we can feel the full force of the wind in the slot, and the chop of an adverse current.

h

Come to think of it, I haven't been in that corner of the bay, I may try to find the San Rafael creek inlet channel and get up there in person. I'll take it as a challenge with my 5' draft.
Uh yeah, I've rescued a couple of 35 yo boats and crew.... With your draft, check your keelbolts.

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
Fkn flux capacitor... Id swear we just warped into the middle of the Reverend Mr and Mrs Tammy Bakker Show.

My grandma worked in a knife shop. She used to say in her native latin tongue, Non Illegitimus Carborundum este, which in her illiterate times loosely translates to Dont let the bastards grind you down LilMurray. Say it like it is, and while you are at it, put your dad (Hotrod) on the phone...

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
Ah, after Hotrod reveals his next amazing trick, (the hoisting of the mainsail upside down as a lateen sail), he plans to boost the seaworthiness of his noble craft by scooping up large piles of floating reeds between the hulls. With the load securely fastened with home made hemp ropes, he plans to re-enact the famous Kon Tiki raft voyage, rediscovering polynesia and new zealand. On arrival at new zealand, the aft stairs and rudders lift up, and the next generation of endangered virgin wooly sheep will unload to be left there for future shipwracked lost mariners to feed on. No mean feet, persuading 300 sheep to only stand on the 2 x4's all the way to new Zealand with clenched butts. Fortunately he has a son who appears to have the literacy and life skills of a master sheep herder, an expert in these topics.

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
The observations about the rear stairs being uneven, and the ship listing to port ? according to the Yachting New Zealand handbook., the stairs are custom made for climbing sheep who any master mariner will tell you, are always loaded with the skinny nervous ones on the port side first...You load the fat docile heavy ones on the starboard side, which is the windward side going to new zealand. If you dont, you wont achieve foiling speeds. Talking about foil, the Bbq on the rear deck is there as an incentive for the sheep to be quick about it, chop chop..

Good old Cruisers Form response to trying to visit their No Ugly Catamarans thread

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Couldn't they at least give a real reason, like, "Yes, it is true. This forum has no (rhymes with Bic)."
Bill Murray, Ghostbusters: