65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

I'm bored so I decided to take a crack at the costs. Let me start off by saying I'm not a contractor, naval architect, regular architect, or anything related to using wood to build shit.

I'm assuming that the hulls are 7 feet tall (anyone know?), 65 feet long, the 2x4 are 4 feet on center, so there are 65*7 feet of them in the sides of the hulls. That's 455 feet. The top of the hulls has another set of 4 feet on center, maybe 4 feet wide, 65*2/4 is another 130. We're at 585 feet. In the bridge deck let's say they're again 4 feet on center, and 8 feet tall. The bridge deck is maybe 55 feet long and 26(?) feet across. So that's 55*2+26*2 all divided by 4, times 8 for the walls. 325 feet for the walls. Maybe 55*26/4 for the ceiling? That's another 360 feet for the ceiling and another 360 for the floor.. Call it 1650 feet overall so far. Now we have the plywood. There's 65*6*6 or so square feet in the hulls, and another (55+26)*2*8+(55*26)*2 for the bridge deck walls, ceiling, and floor. That all comes out to 2340 + 1300 + 2860, or 6500 square feet of plywood.

Let's throw in about 20 gallons of west system epoxy, maybe a few hundred square feet of fiberglass mat, a couple hundred carriage bolts, and about 2000 galvanized screws.

1650 feet of 2x4 KD stud at Home Depot is around $4 per foot. That's $6600 for the lumber.

2x4 ft of 3/8 plywood is $10. So that's around $1.25/sq foot. That's about $8200 for plywood.

Looks like West System is around $120/gallon for resin and hardener. $2400 for epoxy.

About a dollar a foot for fiberglass mat, so let's say $500 for fiberglass.

Maybe $2/carriage bolt and $0.10 per screw. Probably $200 for screws and another $500 for bolts.

That's about $18000. Add in some contingency and the stuff I missed, and I think you're around $25000 in materials.

I could be way off, but that's not as much as I was thinking he spent.

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
I'm bored so I decided to take a crack at the costs. Let me start off by saying I'm not a contractor, naval architect, regular architect, or anything related to using wood to build shit.

I'm assuming that the hulls are 7 feet tall (anyone know?), 65 feet long, the 2x4 are 4 feet on center, so there are 65*7 feet of them in the sides of the hulls. That's 455 feet. The top of the hulls has another set of 4 feet on center, maybe 4 feet wide, 65*2/4 is another 130. We're at 585 feet. In the bridge deck let's say they're again 4 feet on center, and 8 feet tall. The bridge deck is maybe 55 feet long and 26(?) feet across. So that's 55*2+26*2 all divided by 4, times 8 for the walls. 325 feet for the walls. Maybe 55*26/4 for the ceiling? That's another 360 feet for the ceiling and another 360 for the floor.. Call it 1650 feet overall so far. Now we have the plywood. There's 65*6*6 or so square feet in the hulls, and another (55+26)*2*8+(55*26)*2 for the bridge deck walls, ceiling, and floor. That all comes out to 2340 + 1300 + 2860, or 6500 square feet of plywood.

Let's throw in about 20 gallons of west system epoxy, maybe a few hundred square feet of fiberglass mat, a couple hundred carriage bolts, and about 2000 galvanized screws.

1650 feet of 2x4 KD stud at Home Depot is around $4 per foot. That's $6600 for the lumber.

2x4 ft of 3/8 plywood is $10. So that's around $1.25/sq foot. That's about $8200 for plywood.

Looks like West System is around $120/gallon for resin and hardener. $2400 for epoxy.

About a dollar a foot for fiberglass mat, so let's say $500 for fiberglass.

Maybe $2/carriage bolt and $0.10 per screw. Probably $200 for screws and another $500 for bolts.

That's about $18000. Add in some contingency and the stuff I missed, and I think you're around $25000 in materials.

I could be way off, but that's not as much as I was thinking he spent.
And that for a boat worth 'MILLIONS OF DOLLARS' - HR must be a genius!!!

Sand crab

Montana
A 8' 2X4 hem fir stud is just under $3 and that's per stud. A full 4X8 sheet of 3/8 CDX is around $16 to $20 and I had to check online because that size is an odd duck and I can't recall using it in my 40 years in the business. Normally I know close to the prices of all basic building materials. I've used 1/2" CDX and larger for sure. Everyone uses OSB now and it is just about half the price.

some dude

Super Anarchist
A 8' 2X4 hem fir stud is just under $3 and that's per stud. A full 4X8 sheet of 3/8 CDX is around $16 to $20 and I had to check online because that size is an odd duck and I can't recall using it in my 40 years in the business. Normally I know close to the prices of all basic building materials. I've used 1/2" CDX and larger for sure. Everyone uses OSB now and it is just about half the price.
Yes but HR's long experience in boat building and naval architecture has correctly informed him that OSB is contra indicated for boat building. That stuff gets wet and you'll never make it past the first island

LaRamée

Halifax NS
This was built out of OSB...

chesapeake-trip-11-0111.jpg

Boston1

Super Anarchist
BF colorado
There's a lot of nice shots of it here http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bradfordmarineyachtsales.com/images/yachtsales/yacht-sales-65-hugh-saint-miss-osb/yacht-sales-65-hugh-saint-aft.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bradfordmarineyachtsales.com/yacht-sales-65-hugh-saint-motor-yacht.html&usg=__KK0JYWCpl6np64Nb8bEfu1Civ9Q=&h=287&w=432&sz=61&hl=en&start=10&sig2=iN-gBTvFB8AAO_a1-A8vRQ&zoom=1&tbnid=FXbkyYLKkbnjzM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=126&ei=00yvUeSnDsi3ywG-vIHYCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmiss%2Bosb%2Byacht%26um%3D1%26sa%3DN%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CD4QrQMwCQ

I believe the construction cost was about 4+ million and the final sale price was about 3 million. A very well done build. So Hey Rod Moe, I'm not sue I'm seeing a comparison. Both make a dent in the water I guess, but thats about it shipmate. And what is the procedure for getting insurance on something like a custom built yacht ? I'd think there would have to be a fairly rigorous inspection process and there's no way ole Rod Moe would be able to pass as far as I can see. So no insurance later and what are his options ? Don't most marina's require insurance ?

europaflyer

London
$25,000?

Rational person - "that would buy me a tidy Westsail 32, let's see, http://www.westsail.com/forsale/easygoer.htm - Job done. Let's load her up and set sail for Hawaii!"

Hot Rod - "I know boats. I'm a master craftsman. I built a pigsty once. I've studied THOUSANDS of boat plans! I can build a 70ft ocean-worthy cat with materials from a DIY store and stuff I find lying about. Why is everyone else wasting their time building boats so well? How hard can it be?"

What a monumental, total, abysmal, mindblowingly pigheaded thick witted arrogant dork this man is. Oddly enough, he comes across on the videos as an OK guy.

There's a lot of nice shots of it here http://www.google.co...ved=0CD4QrQMwCQ

I believe the construction cost was about 4+ million and the final sale price was about 3 million. A very well done build. So Hey Rod Moe, I'm not sue I'm seeing a comparison. Both make a dent in the water I guess, but thats about it shipmate. And what is the procedure for getting insurance on something like a custom built yacht ? I'd think there would have to be a fairly rigorous inspection process and there's no way ole Rod Moe would be able to pass as far as I can see. So no insurance later and what are his options ? Don't most marina's require insurance ?
The boat was built for wealthy guy from Canada in the business of making,..................wait for it...................OSB. You can read a little about it on the builder's website: http://www.saintcustomboats.com/MissOSB.html.

BTW the client never took delivery because he went bankrupt in the housing crash.

You know, just the other day I was saying to my wife, "wife, you know what my dream is? I want to lay on the bottom of San Fransisco Bay with a gas range on top of me." Maybe I should join them.

mcsailor0303

Anarchist
THE GORGE!
Thanks Kai! I think that would be a good guess... Don't forget the sweet grill, slider, those high tech carbon rigs, blue tarp code 0 from motherinlawsailmakersinternational, diamond plate, radar, 2 minikota trolling motors, and the kitchen sink *literally* :blink: . I would say he's got close to his estimated 22.3 million into it...

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
You too can live the dream, HR is taking applications for full time live-aboards.

http://www.squidoo.com/living-their-dream

http://www.squidoo.com/living-their-dream/156365811

(Translating son's comment from meth-ese, "we latched" -means "we launched")

It's been pretty windy and rough the past few days here in the Bay, I know they are feeling it, even in the relative calm of the marina. Here's a photo from Sunday June 2, 2013
Making their dreams come Ture - how fucking perfect is THAT!

Sand crab

Montana
A simple garden shed will cost you about $10 per sq. ft in materials not including labor so this floating 3200 sq. ft. shed should have cost about $32,000. I'm figuring about double or triple that when you include those fancy rudders.

I can't find that news video of HR installing screws. If he is using SS screws then the standard magnetic tip holders won't work and he would have to use something else. If he is putting in standard philips head screws this way then they must be the standard cheap zinc coated steel ones. You can make a fresh tip hold a non-magnetic screws but after you ream that tip just a little which always happens then the screw will fall off. So where's that vid?

I posted the reference to the OSB boat first. Do i get a prize?