65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

mcsailor0303

Anarchist
THE GORGE!
Do you think they used the same fir studs, plywood, and carriage bolts to build this:

944940_674616009222241_816712871_n.jpg

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
You too can live the dream, HR is taking applications for full time live-aboards.

http://www.squidoo.com/living-their-dream

http://www.squidoo.com/living-their-dream/156365811

(Translating son's comment from meth-ese, "we latched" -means "we launched")

It's been pretty windy and rough the past few days here in the Bay, I know they are feeling it, even in the relative calm of the marina. Here's a photo from Sunday June 2, 2013
Making their dreams come Ture - how fucking perfect is THAT!
Uh oh - field trip!!!

Ok, so I did forget all the non-wooden bits. Let's ballpark that real quick. Gas range - $1000. Other kitchen stuff, cabinets, etc, $1500. Wire stays, $500, rope $500, "sails" $no idea, "masts" $200? Outboards $500? "Tanks", $500? Xbox360 and games $300, TV, $200, grill, $100, windows (yet to be installed) $500, patio door $200, veranda roof thing, $100. Radar $500, diamond plate $50. Rudders, wheels, pedastals, etc, etc. Yeah, it goes on and on.

Maybe an extra $5k or so? So maybe $30k total?

You can get a decent actual bluewater boat for $30k, and it won't take 2 or 3 years of two people working full time. If he actually worked instead, he and his son could probably have scraped together $100k and bought something pretty darn nice. My parents happen to have a Kelly Peterson 44 in great shape for sale for a little over $100k. You could drop it off a 4 story building and it would be fine. This boat won't make it off a 4 foot wave. What a waste of time and money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if this might be Government Backed in some way

to get someone to build something so Obliviously WRONG in every way

So we'll accept (even ask for) Being Government Regulated and Inspected Yearly

YES at a Fee that returns a Profit = Will always cost more each year !!

"WE" are kinda self regulated

and it's expected that we have No Death Wish as we Maintain - Prep Operate and our Rides

H-R is Off the Chart

I have a Looooooong and Funny Story about a CG-Augzilliest

who called in to Condemn me YACHT and Terminate my Riding along a few miles off shore

A USCG Chopper flew out and did a couple Circles Real Low around me YACHT (yes DA-WOODY in 1992)

Pilot Smiled waved and gave me a Big Thumbs UP and pealed off & away and the CG-Augzilliest left w/o contact

I called USCG the next day to see WTF that was all about

The Gyu on phone was on Radio the day before and got the call to Arrest Me to Save my Life :eek:

Turns out same Guy was on a USCG Cutter riding into SD Bay after an AC Race

when a (20'?) Bow-Rider Got Swamped next to me as we hit a Big Swell

I picked up my Radio to call for help as it wasn't a good place for to stop

I looked to my left and a Good sized USCG Cutter was right there and saw the whole thing

well the Guy on the Bridge waved to me that they had it under control = YES it Was The Same Guy

So guy on phone told me he was along side when the other boat swamped and I was Fine

and when he got the Call and the Ass described me YACHT as Un-Seaworthy he sent the Chopper to see if it was me

I later learned the Guy who tried to Fuck my Day was Called in and No-Longer allowed to Fuck w People

That's a TRUE STORY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caca Cabeza

Super Anarchist
You too can live the dream, HR is taking applications for full time live-aboards.

It's been pretty windy and rough the past few days here in the Bay, I know they are feeling it, even in the relative calm of the marina. Here's a photo from Sunday June 2, 2013
OK,

So I clicked on the top link. In the "related pages" pop up I get a link to "Find Sunken Treasure". Must me bad juju.

swims4USA

Anarchist

Making their dreams come Ture - how fucking perfect is THAT!
And:

"But James, the father, and Michael, the son, aren't only are they living our dream but they are even going so far as to build their ow boat in which to do it"

Funny story woody,

I offer an opinion that the Coast guard is not responsible for inspecting and verifying that every boat on the water meets some sort of structural or seakeeping requirements. They should make sure all boats are registered, lighted, and equipped with safety gear. (lifejackets, flares, horn, fire extinguisher) Failure in those areas makes them a danger to other out on the water.

The coast guard does offer to certify a boat or design. The designs can by certified by the Coast Guard Office of Design and Engineering Standards. Submit your design pay the fee and get your certification. If you want to take it to the next step you can certify the boats by allowing Coast Guard inspectors to inspect your facilities, manufacturing methods, quality methods, and the boat you want certified. Boats I had certified (lifeboats) then had to pass performance tests; as they should if you need a lifeboat the damn thing better work. All of the above adds cost to the boat and gets you a hull sticker, maybe some piece of mind. In my opinion, totally unnecessary for the recreational market.

A quality builder will design to pass the CG requirements just not pay the fee. If there is no certified design why bother with an inspection. If some puts crap out on the market well its buyer beware. Likewise is someone build their own boat you could buy a certified design, pay for the inspectors; and end up with a certified boat. Probably cost 5 times as much. Otherwise you could buy plans from a known designer (Farrier), build to the plans and have a nice boat for a lower cost than buying from a boat builder.

Well here in M’erica we can design and build our own boat. So long as we have the required safety gear we can use and enjoy our creation. Of course if I was to spend $30,000 on materials you think I’d spend $20 on book on yacht design.

51OjdFRvqRL._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Yacht-Design-3rd-Edition/dp/0071487697

Then I could put my $30k in materials together in a way that won't end up looking like tidal wave debris.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I can't find that news video of HR installing screws. If he is using SS screws then the standard magnetic tip holders won't work and he would have to use something else. If he is putting in standard philips head screws this way then they must be the standard cheap zinc coated steel ones. You can make a fresh tip hold a non-magnetic screws but after you ream that tip just a little which always happens then the screw will fall off. So where's that vid?

I posted the reference to the OSB boat first. Do i get a prize?
Hard to tell from the photos, but they look like "primeguard" coated deck screws to me. A 25 lb. bucket is pretty cheap at home despot. I just checked the label (ahem... they're my go-to fastener around the farm. I ain't saying whether or not there are any on my boat.) They do claim to be "stainless steel" exterior grade. They're coated with some kind of gray paint that is lightly grippy on the drill tip.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Tipi says:

I admire anyone who follows their personal callings in Life.

Some men belong growing on the side of a mountain in Joy.

The call of the sea is not for everyone to go...

Experiential knowledge surpasses hopes and dreams.

From the Squidoo site. Must be that experiential knowledge that get her hot...

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Don't forget the great and glorious Stormvogel - built of Bruynzeel marine ply. But hey, he had a major naval architect, van de Stadt design that one. So it obviously is no good, is it?

1.jpg

rpengr

Florida
The sad thing is that people have been building boats for some 140,000 years and HR&family have chosen to disregard that body of knowledge, instead they trumphet their adventurous spirit...

My grandmother had a saying, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"
Where did you get that data? 6000 at best... Unless woolen mammals were sailing way back when...
I misstated, 130,000 years, they found evidence of human settlement on Crete, stone age tools and such, and Crete has been an island for 5 million years or so, they had to get there somehow, they must have had boats at least as advanced as the FH... cite
There's no way their boats were as good as FH... The gas BBQ and the sliding glass door had not been invented yet.

pseudo

The sad thing is that people have been building boats for some 140,000 years and HR&family have chosen to disregard that body of knowledge, instead they trumphet their adventurous spirit...

My grandmother had a saying, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"
Where did you get that data? 6000 at best... Unless woolen mammals were sailing way back when...
I misstated, 130,000 years, they found evidence of human settlement on Crete, stone age tools and such, and Crete has been an island for 5 million years or so, they had to get there somehow, they must have had boats at least as advanced as the FH... cite
There's no way their boats were as good as FH... The gas BBQ and the sliding glass door had not been invented yet.
Speaking of the sliding door, with the appearance of the droop in the porch, and likely the entire bridgedeck, does the door even open/close?

some dude

Super Anarchist

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Thats actually a pretty nice boat Sailor, not sure if someone photoshoped the the surface treatment into it but its a nice looking rig
That was some sort of fund raiser type project in Europe - IIRC the boat was cold moulded and the top surface is actually made up of laminated bits of wood from a huge variety of sources - all contributions. Bits of signs and art work and toys etc.

It was covered quite extensively in the Euro mags etc. a while back.

Thats actually a pretty nice boat Sailor, not sure if someone photoshoped the the surface treatment into it but its a nice looking rig
That was some sort of fund raiser type project in Europe - IIRC the boat was cold moulded and the top surface is actually made up of laminated bits of wood from a huge variety of sources - all contributions. Bits of signs and art work and toys etc.
It was covered quite extensively in the Euro mags etc. a while back.
If memory serves, SA did a cover story on this last year