65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
From article:

The catamaran is built of plywood coated in multiple layers of 9-oz. fiberglass that Lane says has a sheer strength of 17,500 pounds per square inch. ( Bullshit ! )

But everything costs money. For example, Lane needs 100 bolts to put on the chain plates, and each costs $4.

The designer is dismayed that he hasn’t had more support from professional boat-builders, who hesitate to loan tools or offer advice. ( !!!!!! )

“The local riggers only say they’ll come out and do the work for me,” he said. “They don’t think anybody can build anything.”

Upon seeing the craft, retired journeyman boat-builder Ron Minnis of Loomis agreed with the riggers, saying Lane “used standard household-building construction which will not work for boats unless he’s done a whole lot of reinforcing that I haven’t seen.”

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
Step by step this is evolving into yet another sacred sideslipping grift-a-thon where the central character is portrayed as a misunderstood, colourful yet skilled artisan deserving of sponsorship, accolades and cult like following... They are already flying the patriotic flag. Their paypal button website will be next, and then the inevitable delayed departure while they hold the hat out for cash donations. Has the vessel been re registered in Antigua, Monrovia or Liberia yet ? Surely they have found a farmers creek they can run agound in by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Salty

"For navigation purposes, Lane has two GPS systems and a sextant (a device for determining a ship’s position from the stars)."

Did anyone at any time see anything that resembled a sextant on the FH??

Words fail me.....
Anyone care to comment on the old school navigation skills of a man with such a wonderful understanding of naval architecture?

Holy hell, this just gets better. What all is he supposedly certified in now? Now that we added pilot and meteorologist. Someone needs to go look at all those certificates that he has, that don't even impress him anymore. My god he's so full of shit it's coming out of his ears.

Certified Master motorcycle mechanic

mechanic

master craftsman

electrician

plumber

pilot

computer programmer

certified meteorologist

certified long haul trucker

One of the articles said he built his first bike, first motorcycle, and first car. If they were anything like this I'm surprised he's lived this long. I'd love to see those examples of his skill. I'm guessing he looked at thousands of car designs.

swims4USA

Anarchist
OMG, his phone number is in there. Yes I did, and yes he did.
I really hope you recorded it... and if you did, have someone remix it appropriately.

MSM at it's best::

"The catamaran dwarfs many land-built houses. It’s more than 100 feet long, 32 feet high and 65 feet wide, and has 3,200 square feet of living space to accommodate Lane, his son, his girlfriend and his mother, all of whom plan to travel with him to the South Seas."

MSM at it's best::

"The catamaran dwarfs many land-built houses. It’s more than 100 feet long, 32 feet high and 65 feet wide, and has 3,200 square feet of living space to accommodate Lane, his son, his girlfriend and his mother, all of whom plan to travel with him to the South Seas."
I don't know that I'd call the Ross Valley Reporter exactly Mainstream Media. They do stories on traffic citations and garage sales. The New York Times they ain't.

But yeah, lousy reporting.

Caca Cabeza

Super Anarchist
Something that's been bothering me is the calculation for '3200 square feet of living space'.

If the two hulls are 8feet wide for the entire 65 feet, that's 520 sq ft each.

And even if you took the entire 65 x 32 envelope as 'floor space' for the main floor, that's 2080 ft2, for a grand total of 3120.

But you can't count the front deck as 'living space', and the back porch is a bit iffy. Plus, as can be seen from the stern shot, the main cabin is

narrower than the boat to give some deck space. The sloping sides remove some usable space, as does the opening to get down into the hulls... which are at least a little pointy, removing more space. I'm guessing there's more like 1000 ft2 upstairs, and 400 in each hull... just about half what he claims.

So... HotRod's calculations were way off from the get-go.
I posted on this waaaaaay back when. You must have missed it. But then in 25+ pages, thats understandable. The answer is....

It's got a basement.

LB 15

Cunt
Now we are getting somewhere. The begging bowl is out, he is a certified master bullshit artist, and we have the sudden and unexpected death of a mysterious angel investor.

Sort of like a Daniel Taylor meets Reid Stowe.

You can't make this shit up. Bodacious Void Ho.

Last edited by a moderator:

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Holy hell, this just gets better. What all is he supposedly certified in now? Now that we added pilot and meteorologist. Someone needs to go look at all those certificates that he has, that don't even impress him anymore. My god he's so full of shit it's coming out of his ears.

mechanic

master craftsman

electrician

plumber

pilot

computer programmer

certified meteorologist

One of the articles said he built his first bike, first motorcycle, and first car. If they were anything like this I'm surprised he's lived this long. I'd love to see those examples of his skill. I'm guessing he looked at thousands of car designs.
You can scratch pilot from that list. Just did a search of the FAA database (yes it's public). The only James Lane listed is currently rated to fly multi-engine turbine aircraft and has type ratings for 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 and whole shitload of other really impressive, very non-Hotrod like stuff. The other Jimmy Lanes in the database are air-traffic controllers and mechanics.

As usual, Hotrod is just a compulsive liar.

Mike_Fink

Maysville

mechanic

master craftsman

electrician

plumber

pilot

computer programmer

certified meteorologist

Does he drink Dos Equis too? Stay thirsty me friends/

Honest to God...I can't believe I'm saying this, but it just gets weirder by the minute. I too cannot understand why people reporting on this to various media don't call him on some of this crap. His self-aggrandizement is so clearly preposterous...... Hell, he's making Me crazy! When does he finally top out and run out of things to declare? Clearly the man has encyclopedic knowledge ( Funk & Wagnalls ) of damn near everything.

Cut the damned thing loose, raise the fucking sail(s) and get on with the sea trials. The whole world is waiting!

mechanic

master craftsman

electrician

plumber

pilot

computer programmer

certified meteorologist

You can scratch pilot from that list. Just did a search of the FAA database (yes it's public). The only James Lane listed is currently rated to fly multi-engine turbine aircraft and has type ratings for 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 and whole shitload of other really impressive, very non-Hotrod like stuff. The other Jimmy Lanes in the database are air-traffic controllers and mechanics.

I did the same thing. Only found the mechanic and the air traffic controller, they're the only two who were in CA.

I'm not sure there's a database for the other ones. If we knew where we supposedly went to college we could probably scratch computer programmer, I kinda doubt he actually got that. Certified long haul trucker isn't even a thing. I don't think certified master motorcycle mechanic is a thing either. Certified meteorologist is a thing, but their database isn't searchable unless you're a member. There are a few licensed contractors in CA with the name James Lane, so hard to tell about those.

Sand crab

Montana
Granny.

spectacle.jpg

Doesn't anyone learn the difference between "there/their" anymore?
Your being to critical.

Anyone no when there moving they're boat from their?
That post almost gave me a stroke... Be careful, mate, the keyboard is mightier than the lobotomy drill.
I no nobuddy nose how to spel theas daze. It wuz a joak. Eye shuld hav poot en a sarcazm thingie.

Bored to death with CF,

Steve B.

Senormechanico

Dragonfly 1000 trimaran #15

Mexico vet '93 to '97

Mike_Fink

Maysville
I'm beginning to think like turkey now- maybe we have been had from the get go - that this whole thing was just a set up to beg for money.
Ah yes, it was inevitable. He has taken a page from the esteemed Captian George McKay, Master mariner and shipwright.

All we need now if the dismasting that is all the fault of the USCG and the fistfight with the local harbormaster who tries to stop him from squating on private property.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself

mechanic

master craftsman

electrician

plumber

pilot

computer programmer

certified meteorologist

I did the same thing. Only found the mechanic and the air traffic controller, they're the only two who were in CA.

I'm not sure there's a database for the other ones. If we knew where we supposedly went to college we could probably scratch computer programmer, I kinda doubt he actually got that. Certified long haul trucker isn't even a thing. I don't think certified master motorcycle mechanic is a thing either. Certified meteorologist is a thing, but their database isn't searchable unless you're a member. There are a few licensed contractors in CA with the name James Lane, so hard to tell about those.
Yeah, the real James Lane that is a pilot lives in Arizona. Hotrod may not have been in CA when he got his license, and must have just forgot to update his personal information with the FAA.

Can you imagine walking on a plane, say a 767, an seeing HR in the left seat? There'd be a mudslide in my pants.

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
The central character of this charade appears to be a man who is an enigma wrapped in a riddle, cocooned in its very own gift box made of cdx, sprinkled with a liberal dousing of boolshyt. Who is this maersked man ? And from what parallel universed did he and his spawn come ?