65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

LaRamée

Halifax NS
You know, just the other day I was saying to my wife, "wife, you know what my dream is? I want to lay on the bottom of San Fransisco Bay with a gas range on top of me." Maybe I should join them.
I`ve had a LOT of laughs at this thread but this has me laughing so hard I`m crying!

looks like we cross posted the same thing Vendredi

what are the odds
No odds! you copied! Pretty boat though...

A simple garden shed will cost you about $10 per sq. ft in materials not including labor so this floating 3200 sq. ft. shed should have cost about $32,000. I'm figuring about double or triple that when you include those fancy rudders.

I can't find that news video of HR installing screws. If he is using SS screws then the standard magnetic tip holders won't work and he would have to use something else. If he is putting in standard philips head screws this way then they must be the standard cheap zinc coated steel ones. You can make a fresh tip hold a non-magnetic screws but after you ream that tip just a little which always happens then the screw will fall off. So where's that vid?

I posted the reference to the OSB boat first. Do i get a prize?
Maybe he was smart enough to use Robertson screws instead of fucking phillips. Any time it is possible I replace Phillips with Robertsons. I`ve never understood why stuff gets built with Phillips. Terrible fucking fasteners they are...

Has 2 GPS and a Sextant." - if he can explain how to use the Sextant I'll eat my hat.
GPS, Sextant, and meteorology degree courtesy of their iPhones:

mzl.obcydtoo.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.bhtioqip.466x466-75.jpg
mzl.qemgnuac.320x480-75.jpg

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Come late October, Lane plans to move aboard the Flying Hawaiian with his mother, Johnson, several other people and one pet Chihuahua and travel to Mexico, Hawaii, the Samoan islands and New Zealand.

He doesn't plan on coming back.
Rare moment of genuine foresight, there....

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Heck, you can get sextants at very reasonable prices - this one's only 20 bux:

http://www.harborfreight.com/brass-sextant-66096.html

But I agree, if he can shoot an accurate position, I'll eat my hat.
I had a neighbor that worked for them. Actually, he never admitted he worked for them, but his garage was always full of Sears tools. He'd ship them to China (his admission) to be reverse engineered for manufacturing. He bragged, pretty consistently, that the floor jack I was looking at was 1/3 the price of the Sears unit. He did this all the time. It was his job to buy local, high quality tools and other stuff and have it "copied" in China.

As for the sextant. Well, it's likely it might be OK, for the mid 1800s. :)

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Look, I enjoy making fun of idiots as much as the next heartless prick, but if I were the God of All Thread Content, what follows is a list of stuff I'd rather not see here:

• Jokes which serve no purpose beyond promoting the jokester's joke-making prowess.
  • Opinions about construction from people who don't know anything about construction.
  • Pretty much any post which begins with, "It seems to me..."
  • Snobby comments about HotRod's and his entourage's cultural inclinations, grooming, fashion habits, etc.
  • Space-filling drivel about nothing.

What I AM interested in is:

• Actual progress and pictures of the boat.
  • Factual discussion on construction and finishing methods.

I don't expect anything to change; I'm just one more idiot poster, posting crap about nothing to do with this misguided expenditure of plywood and enthusiasm.
Basically, the only reason I'm watching this thread is to see the progress, or adventures, that the boat and makers have.

As for the posts of outright derision and speculative comments not based on any actual facts? It makes them feel better about themselves. Let them have it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sand crab

Montana
That October launch date was last year, I think. Doesn't a route from San Diego to the South Pacific take you right through hurricane central at that time of the year?

ramwel2010

Anarchist
Look, I enjoy making fun of idiots as much as the next heartless prick, but if I were the God of All Thread Content, what follows is a list of stuff I'd rather not see here:

• Jokes which serve no purpose beyond promoting the jokester's joke-making prowess.
  • Opinions about construction from people who don't know anything about construction.
  • Snobby comments about HotRod's and his entourage's cultural inclinations, grooming, fashion habits, etc.

I don't expect anything to change; I'm just one more idiot poster, posting crap about nothing to do with this misguided expenditure of plywood and enthusiasm.
The group here that is obsessed with that waste of space reid stowe and the constant comparisons really drag this thread down.

If I spent that many hours stalking a stoned loser ferrocement pilot I'd jump off a damn bridge. Same with this HR guy. The train wreck is interesting, but I really have to wonder if some of you have jobs, or a family, or a life.

Boston1

Super Anarchist
BF colorado
Well I've been working wood my whole life and these guys are the worst kinda hacks. Only way to get that bad at woodworking after however long they been woodchucking is to just not give a shit. I've fired a few of these types and someone nailed it. At their age, its bloody hopeless to even try and teach them anything. Its a miracle if they've got all there fingers and toes after spending so long hacking there way through that horror of an excuse/boat.

OK so whats the chances of someone out there setting up a live cam so we can all check in on the condition of the boat, or at least how its floating or not ? Its a box camera on a few batteries with a wyfi connection. Now there's something we can all send in a buck for eh ;-) Some kinda zoom lens would go nicely as well. The park service sets them up all over the place. Might cost a few hundred bucks to do up right and whoever the lucky volunteer is can keep it in the end, which won't be long, actually the winner of the "whens it going to sink" pool can keep it ;-)

3boobs-1.jpg

LB 15

Cunt

Basically, the only reason I'm watching this thread is to see the progress, or adventures, that the boat and makers have.

As for the posts of outright derision and speculative comments not based on any actual facts? It makes them feel better about themselves. Let them have it. :)
Me thinks you might be feeling pretty good about yourself after that post mate. You two be carefull you don't get a nose bleed up there on that high ground. What we are watching here is not an intellectual discussion on the merits of plywood boat building.What I saw at first is a delusional fool that was way out of his depth. Felt sorry for him. What we are now seeing with a little research is a bullshitting know all with his hand out looking for everyone else to pay for his dream. From page one this thread has been taking the piss out of this idiot. If you want only serious discussion about plywood then fuckoff over to one of the other more highbrow forums, more in keeping with a person of your superior ......well someone who likes to think he is superior. Or just fuck off.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist

Me thinks you might be feeling pretty good about yourself after that post mate.
Actually no but, the possible irony of my own statement wasn't lost on me when I posted that. It doesn't invalidate my observation that there is a difference in discussing the absolute failure of this project, in all it's detail, as a seaworthy boat and just sneering at the man in general. The former is just the experienced sharing their shock and dismay. The latter? I'll leave that as an exercise to the readers.

Agree, but also more first hand reports from the Rodians would be fun interesting.

In the article, it said that H-R was planning to bring a chihuahua.

While some might debate whether chihuahuas are real dogs or just fashion accessories, might it be possible to get the local Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or local animal shelter folks involved?

Their enforcement people might have more teeth than the local police, US Coast Guard, etc.