65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

I just spoke with a mate of mine in SF - the FH, HR, grandma and his fake Harley are all fine. The FH has been purchased by Team Artemis to replace their current boat - they will be adding 7 ft of sugar scopes and their foils....should be good to go against the kiwis in a week or so.

There was a 2.4 knot ebb out the Golden Gate last night just after midnight. If he was towed in that direction, he's gone. That thing should have never gone near the water.

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
I just spoke with a mate of mine in SF - the FH, HR, grandma and his fake Harley are all fine. The FH has been purchased by Team Artemis to replace their current boat - they will be adding 7 ft of sugar scopes and their foils....should be good to go against the kiwis in a week or so.
ROTFLMAO

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Status report Monday 2 PM: Wind (cold!) is up a bit from yesterday and shifted slightly to the west. The shift exposes FH to more wind, but actually calmer water due to the short fetch from upwind land. I experimented with taking some pix using a digiscoping adaptor on my good spotting scope. This gives me the equivalent of a 1200mm lens, which results in a full frame picture but VERY soft, so I'll probably go back to my 300mm "real" lens, where I can crop for sharp but grainy closeups.

Nothing much to report: They've managed to get the sail cover back on the mizzen and appear to have pulled their dinghy up onto the cabin roof. It was probably getting beat up floating between the hulls with the motorboat right on top of it. Watching it ride at anchor through the scope (which is extremely sharp in eyeball mode) it appears that they have two lines, one from each bow running to a single anchor. As FH swings slowly through a fairly small arc, first one, then the other line takes all the load. There's a third, much lighter line running down toward the anchor, but with no load on it. (some kind of trip line?)

HR spent a lot of time while I was watching fussing around down at deck level with what looked like an anchor line - - -chafing? Hardware working loose? your guess is as good as mine. Later he was joined by a second shorter person (Mrs. Rod?) fussing with something up above head height on the forestay (see pic) Toward the end it looked like maybe he was unwinding a tape wrap that was working loose, but who knows?

I'm now outa here until Saturday afternoon. I just hope there's something to report on when I get back. Here are the best of today's pix. The first is there mainly because it shows the motorcycle. From the angle it looks like it isn't tied down at all. Just parked on the kick-stand (in case he want's to make a quick getaway?)
gallery_100588_742_252871.jpg

Is it just me, or from some angles does the design inspiration of the FH look like a civil war ironclad??

PICT4597_st3.jpg

Just sayin'

nos4r2

UK
So, if that Binliner had a full tank of fuel, how far could the FH have been towed? It isn't going to tow it fast, or far even given a 2.4 knot ebb. I bet it's either ashore, sunk,broken up or still in the bay.

no need to alert the coasties. -- I talked to Rod-man, and he said that he is over by China Camp. That's just north, around Pt. San Pedro . He has officially left San Francisco Bay and currently resides in San Pablo Bay.

G

Can anyone spell schadenfreude? What next, a spycam counting his turds?

So far he has proved all the negative pricks wrong, sure its a disaster waiting to happen but HR is doing it. He built a dream and even for a fleeting moment he's living it. I'd say on one level that its a triumph considering most people dont have a dream let alone stake everything on it. Crazy, yes indeed, but ballsy and money where his mouth is. That said I cant help but be fascinated by the countdown to tragedy and I sure hope no one gets hurt, but for fucks sake give the man room to exist!

romaine

Super Anarchist

So far he has proved all the negative pricks wrong, sure its a disaster waiting to happen but HR is doing it. He built a dream and even for a fleeting moment he's living it. I'd say on one level that its a triumph considering most people dont have a dream let alone stake everything on it. Crazy, yes indeed, but ballsy and money where his mouth is. That said I cant help but be fascinated by the countdown to tragedy and I sure hope no one gets hurt, but for fucks sake give the man room to exist!
A big plus one to that. This boat is some crazy shit, but Mr. Rod has by his project's success thus far mandated that a signicant cohort of SA prognosticators dine on corvus brachyrhynchos.
Romain

Last edited by a moderator:

radpin

Mexico

A big plus one to that. This boat is some crazy shit, but Mr. Rod has by his project's success thus far mandated that a signicant cohort of SA prognosticators dine on corvus brachyrhynchos.
Romain
The guy has managed to do what exactly, launch a floating platform, push it around, and keep it from sinking? He's expecting this thing to go offshore, or survive offshore.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
China Camp shows some smarts - a good place to be for the prevailing winds. Keep an eye on any weird low pressure system which could put him on the beach. Time to make a trip up the delta.