65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Looks like it's possible for someone with no sailing background to build a boat correctly.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2013-07/semitrailer-size-boat-thats-completely-pirate-proof
The difference is that boat is named "Faith", not "Blind Faith".
quote-

Water

Faith’s water-treatment system converts seven to nine gallons of seawater into tap water every hour, using carbon filters and a bacteria-killing ultraviolet light to get the job done.

-unquote

Somehow I don't think carbon filters and UV are going to "get the job job done" when he moves the vessel from Indiana to the sea. Overall though he's done far far better than HotRod

FB- Doug

redviking

Anarchist
Sailing for 30 years, cruising for six. Ever anchor in 140' of wawa? Used an Aries windvane? Surfed 18' waves with a drogue astern to slow you down? STFU asswipe...
Oh, you bad

I've been sailing all my life, over 50 years now. Have you crossed any oceans? Done it as watch captain on a 100 yr old schooner? Conned a destroyer to a successful MOB pick up? How many hurricanes have you anchored in, successfully? :Let's see... oh yeah racing, how many different one-designs have you picked up at least some silver? Raced in regattas of over 100? ... yeah and boatbuilding, how many have you done from scratch? How many 30+' rebuilt structurally?

I can't type fast enough, and it begins to look like braggin... so never mind

STFU is really not what you meant to say

FB- Doug
I was simply answering to your silly idea that HR supporters are a bunch of folks who don't know nuthin... I'm paraphrasing of course... And uh sir, shit, with your resume you'll be DTS in a month...
Oh, and yes, and yes, no, but I did deliver an Oyster'62.... Take an aspirin, some of us have done some stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist
I am not pulling for the Rod because we all know how this is going to end. He'll be broke, facing a clean up fine, risking others skin to save his ass (if he ever gets going), lost his bike, possibly his mom, and all for what? If he's living the dream I am dreaming the wrong things. Boat, yes. Island life, yes. P.O.S. boat, no. No idea what I am doing, no. I could go on here. When it breaks up it will be amusing and sad all at once. I'll laugh and point but feel bad too.

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
Is it just me, or from some angles does the design inspiration of the FH look like a civil war ironclad??

Just sayin'
Ya gotta read the entire thread! I mentioned that a few weeks ago - it's exactly what the FH looks like. His gun slit ports only added to the effect. :)
Sorry I missed that Sloop, my schedule only allows me time to skim this.. This thread needs a weekly digest/summary.
Get back into your mothers basement and spend an appropriate amount of time here. :p
Farken funny!

mikewof

mikewof
Looks like it's possible for someone with no sailing background to build a boat correctly.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2013-07/semitrailer-size-boat-thats-completely-pirate-proof
The difference is that boat is named "Faith", not "Blind Faith".
quote-

Water

Faith’s water-treatment system converts seven to nine gallons of seawater into tap water every hour, using carbon filters and a bacteria-killing ultraviolet light to get the job done.

-unquote

Somehow I don't think carbon filters and UV are going to "get the job job done" when he moves the vessel from Indiana to the sea. Overall though he's done far far better than HotRod

FB- Doug

He'll have beautifully clean saltwater to boil pasta. Does that count?

redviking

Anarchist
I am not pulling for the Rod because we all know how this is going to end. He'll be broke, facing a clean up fine, risking others skin to save his ass (if he ever gets going), lost his bike, possibly his mom, and all for what? If he's living the dream I am dreaming the wrong things. Boat, yes. Island life, yes. P.O.S. boat, no. No idea what I am doing, no. I could go on here. When it breaks up it will be amusing and sad all at once. I'll laugh and point but feel bad too.
And so far, all the dire predictions have died and are awaiting burial. But if I told you all that I was gonna leave Kobenhavn for North Amerika in an open boat with only a rock for a plotter, you pussies would all be calling the Coasties on my ass too. I believe they made it... Yet if some dumbass decides to do the ARC in a Hunter or BendyToy, nobody gets their panties in a bunch even though Ralph Nader already declared said vessel unsafe at any speed. It's a big ocean with tons of wrecks... How about those pros who keep sinking? WWW.gcaptain.com

nos4r2

UK
And so far, all the dire predictions have died and are awaiting burial.
Apart from the worst of the lot-soaking up enough water it sinks isnt' exactly going to be quick, breaking up under strain could be, but it hasn't exactly been stressed yet.

'Up the delta, in the mud' is the most positive possible outcome. Every other is going to involve loss of live or possesions and a big bill.

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
I wonder?

Would it be possible for the Flying Hawaiian to go faster than the wind, If going directly down wind?

Let's face it, What Hot Rod has done so far has been so far from expectations is it an imposable expectation?

I think we have all underestimated the strength of a glass over ply build, and those annoying 4 by 2 beams were just a form for the "real" structure.

:lol:

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
And so far, all the dire predictions have died and are awaiting burial. But if I told you all that I was gonna leave Kobenhavn for North Amerika in an open boat with only a rock for a plotter, you pussies would all be calling the Coasties on my ass too. I believe they made it... Yet if some dumbass decides to do the ARC in a Hunter or BendyToy, nobody gets their panties in a bunch even though Ralph Nader already declared said vessel unsafe at any speed. It's a big ocean with tons of wrecks... How about those pros who keep sinking? WWW.gcaptain.com
I find it ironic that redviking, one of the most vocal critics of the voyage of the Cheese Scow has now become an ardent supporter of the FH debacle. At least Stowe built a seaworthy vessel that made a circumnavigation (sailing, drifting, whatever, he still did it) as well as a journey to South America and back. Stowe made several repairs to his vessel while on his epic journey and still managed to make it back. I doubt the FH will ever leave SF Bay and if it does, it won't get far into the Pacific until the inevitable tragedy strikes. So whats up with that shit Red???? Just because HR isn't shamelessly begging for fundage doesn't make FH anything more than a poorly conceived, poorly built piece o' shit. It has yet to sail under its own power and I doubt it ever will. The best thing that could happen is that it will sink into the mud in the delta somewhere and this little misadventure disguised as a dream will be mercifully over without loss of human life.

mo fuzz

Super Anarchist
My prediction...

Earlier in the thread, someone pulled the USCG documentation record of the FH. It put HRs address in Chico, CA I think.

As others suggested, I predict he will tow and dock the FH somewhere upriver closer-ish to Sacramento to finish out the interior and where he is closer to his own "resources", whatever they may be.

redviking

Anarchist
I find it ironic that redviking, one of the most vocal critics of the voyage of the Cheese Scow has now become an ardent supporter of the FH debacle. At least Stowe built a seaworthy vessel that made a circumnavigation (sailing, drifting, whatever, he still did it) as well as a journey to South America and back. Stowe made several repairs to his vessel while on his epic journey and still managed to make it back. I doubt the FH will ever leave SF Bay and if it does, it won't get far into the Pacific until the inevitable tragedy strikes. So whats up with that shit Red???? Just because HR isn't shamelessly begging for fundage doesn't make FH anything more than a poorly conceived, poorly built piece o' shit. It has yet to sail under its own power and I doubt it ever will. The best thing that could happen is that it will sink into the mud in the delta somewhere and this little misadventure disguised as a dream will be mercifully over without loss of human life.
Hmmm... Yeah, add some sprouts, a soy, some grifting and a void Ho video and I would sing a different tune for sure... But in this case, its all speculation... HR may be crazy, but he has a ways to go before being Stowe crazy.... And now you think Anne was well built? How times have changed.

mo fuzz

Super Anarchist
My prediction...

Earlier in the thread, someone pulled the USCG documentation record of the FH. It put HRs address in Chico, CA I think.

As others suggested, I predict he will tow and dock the FH somewhere upriver closer-ish to Sacramento to finish out the interior and where he is closer to his own "resources", whatever they may be.
Here are some suggestions for HR

Rio Vista. This place has a ramp and some old docks. Appears abandoned. Perfect for his budget.

http://goo.gl/maps/WFw5G

Isleton has a ramp, though not a lot of space.

http://goo.gl/maps/EeF81

Truth is there are lots of places he could go upriver and not get noticed/bothered (for a while).

We're helpers here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caca Cabeza

Super Anarchist
My prediction...

You could be on to something there. It's getting close to 'resource' harvesting season in Chico.

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist
So far, the Rod hasn't actually done anything resembling sailing. The barge comment was spot on. Red, you don't find it sad? The guy has put everything he has into this. That isn't noble, it foolish. If he had done the same thing but for different reasons, or with just a fraction of his net worth there might be more give. He also has no experience at all, none. Your comment about the open boat, if it's just you going, fine, good sailing. Oh and perhaps leave the VHF and Sat phone with us. The irony is that you are preaching to someone who recently embarked on what many would call a foolish endeavor in an open boat. The difference here is I had done the home work, the prep. Capsize drills, recovery, navigation, self rescue. We tested our boat and made sure it was safe. We prepared our food, water, clothing, etc, meticulously. By all reports the FH is not prepped, and HR is not prepared. The boat is made of the wrong materials with the wrong wiring and not one shred of common sense. His families lives will likely be on the line because of his shortcuts, again foolish, not noble.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Hmmm... Yeah, add some sprouts, a soy, some grifting and a void Ho video and I would sing a different tune for sure... But in this case, its all speculation... HR may be crazy, but he has a ways to go before being Stowe crazy.... And now you think Anne was well built? How times have changed.
No Red, HR is definitely crazy. The schooner "Anne" may never win a beauty contest however it survived a trip around the world (not to mention a collision with a much larger vessel), the Southern Ocean, rounding Cape Horn, a round trip from the East coast of the US to South America and back and it can side slip in a sacred fashion with a hold full of Parmigiano Reggiano, firewood, other foodstuffs and probably Jimmy Hoffa's body, while carrying a full complement of nutritious bean sprouts. Please tell me how you define "well built". The FH will never do any of those things, no matter what HR thinks it will do and no matter how many boats he looked at before designing and building the Shitrock Barge. That isn't speculation, that is fact.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The idea that HR is admirable because he has managed to sort of complete his folly and that it has floated longer than anyone thought it would is just touchy-feely nonsense.

I said a while back that if it was a cabin in the woods, maybe (although even that concept smacks of Ted Kazinsky) but being a "boat" makes it an entirely different and far less acceptable proposition.

The guy is a nut job and others are going to get the bill to pick up after him.

Getting to his age and still having ZERO judgement is not admirable.

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist
Actually I am with RedV on my opinion of Reid Stowe as well. He got very lucky. He came at his little adventure with more going for it than HR but only just. Reid's little adventure had plenty of opportunity to go badly. People who go out totally unprepared and have to be rescued are not admirable. They are prizes that Darwin didn't get to collect! Reid got away with it, HR, I think will be less fortunate.

Latest posts