65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

djleblanc75

Got hanks? I'll trade for critics .
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|319693|319694&id=75877

$10/piece and they are even brand new to boot...at that price its not worth going used. And if you can't afford $200 in hanks then the $700 EPRIB and the $2000 life raft are going to be tough....and it would be simply beyond foolish to downright suicidal to travel beyond the sight of land in an untested craft without at least these two basic pieces of safety equipment. Even the people with million dollar yachts and offshore support crews carry (and all too frequently have to use) this stuff.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|135|2028709|2028728&id=1283816

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|135|2290100|2290102&id=1122190

Last edited by a moderator:
sklompar said:
While the foolhardiness of Hot Rod's endeavor is open for debate, it's obvious that the biggest fools are the rubes in this thread who believe they're actually engaging with HR himself.
Yeah, yeah- we heard you the first six times you blathered about this. You made your point. Give it a rest already.
rolleyes.gif

ramwel2010

Anarchist
Got hanks? I'll trade for critics .
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|319693|319694&id=75877

$10/piece and they are even brand new to boot...at that price its not worth going used. And if you can't afford $200 in hanks then the $700 EPRIB and the $2000 life raft are going to be tough....and it would be simply beyond foolish to downright suicidal to travel beyond the sight of land in an untested craft without at least these two basic pieces of safety equipment. Even the people with million dollar yachts and offshore support crews carry (and all too frequently have to use) this stuff.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|135|2028709|2028728&id=1283816

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|135|2290100|2290102&id=1122190
could save some scratch by going with a PLB instead of a full on EPIRB

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/fastfind220.html?cmp=pricegrabber&pg=fastfind220&utm_source=fastfind220&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=pricegrabber

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
sklompar said:
While the foolhardiness of Hot Rod's endeavor is open for debate, it's obvious that the biggest fools are the rubes in this thread who believe they're actually engaging with HR himself.
It is HR. Confirmed via selfie, via two others corroboration. Give HR a break. There is no place so far that has allowed him to give his side of the story.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
sklompar said:

Yes, I beleive that some old sock is pretending to be HR, and laughing his arse off!

Boston1

Super Anarchist
BF colorado
sklompar said:
It is HR. Confirmed via selfie, via two others corroboration. Give HR a break. There is no place so far that has allowed him to give his side of the story.
He's had countless opportunities to give his side of the story, He's been asked to show pictures so members might help him arrange some kinda fix and he's been offered lots of advice on what to do and what equipment he might need to do it with. He's spurned all attempts. Only thing he hasn't outright rejected is offers of free stuff or maybe labor, but thats yet to be seen.

Its boiled down to some form of psychological condition, group ( clan in this case ) psychosis or something. Not sure why but for some reason none of them seem to have one single clue about there present predicament.

Boats dead in the water, no propulsion, steering or tow rig, In any form of wind or tide condition, the bayliner can't tow it even if it did have a place to hook the tow rope. He seems to think his 2x4 toe rail, attached with deck screws ( it is on a deck after all ) is his saving grace, and the coasties have given him till wed to get off the mud flat.

I'd love to hear his "side" of the story, but he's not offering one.

Team Subterfuge

Anarchist
San Diego
HR,

I just discovered your story this week over at the CF forum. The amount of effort you and yours have put into your boat is commendable and I whis you success going forward.

I have a question about visibility. From the looks of the port and starboard wheels you can not see 360deg around the boat from their location. Do you plan to run the boat with a multi person watch and sound powered phones(you can get these surplus from the Navy). Any thought to adding a cupola with steering gear atop the house for better visiblilty?

All things considered I worry about you loosing sight of Bouys and channel markers and holing the boat.

Fair winds and following seas,

Gary
Seriously? Visibility is what you worry about on that thing?
Imagine getting run over by that thing. I'd bet that from the opposite side helm you couldn't even hear the yell of "STARBOARD!!"
You think he is planning on racing the - - - thing - - - ah, boat? Even if he got a rating, you still have to finish the race to win.

jerryj2me

Super Anarchist
I doubt if starboard-port, windward,-leeward, room at the mark, or any of that other fancy-dancy persnickety uppity sailor talk has much meaning.

Rule 18? Don't need no rules!

As somebody said before:

You can't bullshit the ocean.

But then, the all important question is:

What's it rate?

meuritt, I am 100% behind you on reporting a publicly made threat to you to the police.

Anyone who has any confidence in Hot Rod making good decisions down the road is as fundamentally ignorant of human psychology as they are of marine architecture. And you have the right to frequent public, navigable waterways without being threatened by gunfire or swamping.

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
sklompar said:
sklompar said:
In any event, I'd love to be proved wrong about the sock puppetry. To see a verifiable, recent photo from aboard the FH posted by one of its crew would be thrilling.
How do you explain the selfie of the Viking that was obviously shot inside the boat (and posted here) Saturday night?
Dunno, could it possibly have been lifted from the Viking's real live Facebook page where he interracts with real live people, and maybe does things like...post pictures of himself aboard his new home? The exif data lining up with that night's date doesn't mean shit either--the fact that the exif was pointed out right away made it immediately suspect in my mind.

I'm eager to read Spoffo's morning report. And someone should email/talk to that reporter.
Or, instead, you could eagerly await the results of Donald Trump's latest search for Obama's birth certificate. Tin hat time.

since there was no retraction made, I have just reported the threat made by HR. I was asked to send the actual post and SA's url to this thread, which I have done. If I hear anything further I shall let you all know. The San Rafael police boat may be giving him a visit soon.

meuritt
C'mon Meuritt, don't start that bullshit, that's Busch League. Let the guy be, last thing he needs is a bunch of cops fucking with him.

sklompar said:
Seriously, though, how hard is it to take a just one picture and post it...?
He did. When I asked The Viking to post a pic of himself on Saturday, he did so. Obviously taken inside the boat, obviously taken at night and the picture data was confirmed by a third party. In addition, he posted a pic of the boat underway, a pic no one who wasn't aboard could have taken. Considering all the shit that's been heaped upon the Hot Rod clan on this forum, why in hell would any of them feel obliged to go any further out of their way prove themselves to anybody here, much less you?

Is it possible those pix were lifted from a facebook page by a sock puppet? Sure. Show us the facebook page and I'll buy in to your theory. But I've looked for it and I can't find it. "The Viking" is actually Michael Johnson and "Hot Rod" is James Lane. Knock yourself out.

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
now why would I kid about reporting a crazy guy making threats to people onshore and off, who may be armed. He's identified me and Spoffo, he is anchored next to a public access walkway along the bay, Shore Line Park, that many people use every day. You want some innocent hurt because they want to take pictures of FH?
A lot of curious people are going to take a look at this "boat". I don't think anyone here wants HR to mistake an innoccent bystander for an anarchist.
Just hold on a damn minute.

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
since there was no retraction made, I have just reported the threat made by HR. I was asked to send the actual post and SA's url to this thread, which I have done. If I hear anything further I shall let you all know. The San Rafael police boat may be giving him a visit soon.

meuritt
C'mon Meuritt, don't start that bullshit, that's Busch League. Let the guy be, last thing he needs is a bunch of cops fucking with him.
Actually, I think he craves attention, and a police visit would just be more attention.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Hey Viking - if it's you. Really, you need to tow your boat up to the Delta. As they say in House Stark "Winter is coming" and you don't want to be anywhere with an unobstructed line of sight to the south. there are countless protected spots not from from Stockton where you could anchor out and no one would bother you as you finish up.

If you catch a flood tide, say you can make 3 knots through the water, you'd do 4-5 over the ground. Start in the evening and ride the flood for 6 hours, anchor, rinse and repeat. If you make slow time you'd likely need 4 cycles to get well up there, if you can go faster maybe only 3. There are plenty of good anchorages on the way.

I'd really shoot for night sailing until you make the turn at Pittsburgh. If you find yourself in late morning looking at the river, tuck off to the side and anchor up. Let the breeze get by. You're in luck as it's late summer and the afternoon breezes should start to fall off soon. You might catch a couple day window in the weather, if you do, get a move on!

Once your rudders are good to go, and the sail plan is working, you can come back out and head for Hawaii.

Cheers

Latest posts