65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

USA190520

Super Anarchist
The guy had a dream

We all have dreams... Some of us chase that dream, some dismiss those dreams, others wake up in a cold sweat terrified by their dreams...

If any one statement from the 50+ pages on this calvelcade of clusterfuckery is to be remembered its HR stating "I'm building a boat with my son"

I lost my dad when I was 21, I'd give my left nut to build a Popsicle canoe with my dad, let alone what we have here. Even if the whole thing goes more pear shaped than it already is, the memory of this time will always be something HRjr will take with him.

It's easy to criticize from afar, but when it's all said and done, if you add up all the time you've spent reading and posting about HR and the FH and look at that time as time you could've spent with your kids building anything, it's pretty clear who's time was more productive.

So, knock off the insults, the condescending attitudes and step back, sure it may be all wrong but in the end, a father and son experience like this one cannot be purchased, cannot be revisited, cannot be recreated. Like I said, I'd be happier than *********** in a doughnut storm to have the chance to build a paper mâché opti with my dad.

Go the HR, don't take one day for granted.

My father died on Monday 8/4/91. That day I had, in my car, 2 trophies to show my dad, back to back first place US Nationals and 1st place NA championships. He died 2 hrs before I got to show him. I wish we had gotten to know each other more. See, my dad started me sailing, at age 4. I'd love the chance to do what HR and son are doing, yes, even the mistakes, for the building of a boat is just one of the details, building memories of doing stuff with your dad is something every one of us can relate to and many of us miss everyday.

Before you post another cynical comment or snarky self aggrandizing comment, take that time and do something with your son, he will appreciate it and that time just may be one of his fondest memories after you're gone.

nos4r2

UK
Aero marine
Well it is cheaper... :rolleyes:
from the Aero Marine Website:

*Please note: Our epoxy is NOT UV resistant. It will yellow in sunlight.
Thought that was the deal with most epoxies? The better non-WEST sealing ones over here recommend sealing with a good coat (or multiple coats) of 2 pack polyurethane varnish or proper marine varnish to keep the UV from directly hitting the epoxy.

Last edited by a moderator:

swims4USA

Anarchist
it dawned on me they're not illiterate, just drunk out of there minds.
Holy shit! Can people really make posts like this - or am I missing some unstated irony?
Sorry but English isn't my first language, I'm guessing I got they're, there and their mixed up again.
You used "they're" properly (they are), but "there" (as in "Hey, look over there!") should be "their" (the possessive).

Sand crab

Montana
Aero marine

Thought that was the deal with most epoxies? The better non-WEST sealing ones over here recommend sealing with a good coat (or multiple coats) of 2 pack polyurethane varnish or proper marine varnish to keep the UV from directly hitting the epoxy.
+1. There are some new epoxies that are UV resistant and are recommended for painting. I'm not sure about laminating with these.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
Poor HR, his boat is the least of his problems. In California, if you are crazy and commit an act of violence or threaten someone, you are in serious trouble. If you are mentally unstable and commit such acts, even minor infractions like resisting arrest, you don't just get out on bail or OR. You might require a psychological evaluation. If you don't "pass" you can find yourself doing time, followed by an indeterminate stay the State Hospital (Napa, Patton, Atascdero) until you are better. Any signs of delusions will keep you locked up.

If HR admits to writing posts about shootings, capturing people, and going "army reg" then he can be charged with "Terrorist Threats" which under Penal Code 422 can be a misdemeanor or felony. If you tell your neighbor "someday I'm gonna mess you up", that's all it takes. You would not believe how many people get a 422 charge here in California. If you can't afford a good lawyer you are in a heap of trouble.
I suspect that California has more pressing problems. A budget crisis is forcing it to release REAL criminals. HR does not appear to be a real criminal. At least not in the US.. North Korea.. yea.. but not in the US, or even in CA.

No one from the side of the state is interested in incarcerating HR. I am sure that after the county that put the warrant out for HR gets notice they will just toss it. No need to waste money when they can find a real criminal a spot for a while.

As to comments regarding HR and the SHOVEL being used instead of an oar. I thought that was Hilarious the first time. BUT the reality is that there was NEVER a shovel, rather a standard oar. The full pict was taken by Spoffo an is here: and a blow up is shown below:

clearly an oar....

It is fine and great to have fun, but.. HR and family are here... attempting to communicate.. Let us listen and see if we can help. I suspect there is more to the story then we know, and spouting off inaccurate (albeit hilarious) BS does not do justice to the fact that HR and family are attempting to communicate..

HR and Son did something.... as some have pointed out they may have done a better job, but THEY did it. so let us try to stick to some facts.

No SHOVEL.
No Finger Bitten Off.
No HR was hardened criminal.

I know that that it may be more interesting if the above were true.. but... it is pretty damn amazing anyway.

USA190520

Super Anarchist
Aero marine

All resins and epoxies degrade in UV light. All paints degrade in UV light. It's the degree to which they degrade that's the issue- west 105/205 will yellow out and become brittle very fast, polyester takes more time but a look at any surfboard more than a year old will show the yellowing. I've got a brand new 6'6" I've ridden twice in 10 years, it's been indoors and receives indirect uv's only, it's yellowed. It's a shame too because it was a sweet board.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
Look at all the newbies here waiting to see something bad happen to someone.
It's like watching Shark Week.
Sad...
Plus a million... Real sailors are quite a bit more sympathetic and helpful and do not sit around rubbing their hands with glee at the misfortunes of their brethren. Now, about Thor Heyerdahl and his balsa craft that went 4300 miles long before West Systems. Was he on crack too?
It is now a known fact that Thor Heyerdahl sailed not just on crack but lots of CRACKS. It was not visible in any of the documentaries.. but finally come to light (2004) in the museum.

mikewof

mikewof
The guy had a dream

We all have dreams... Some of us chase that dream, some dismiss those dreams, others wake up in a cold sweat terrified by their dreams...

If any one statement from the 50+ pages on this calvelcade of clusterfuckery is to be remembered its HR stating "I'm building a boat with my son"

I lost my dad when I was 21, I'd give my left nut to build a Popsicle canoe with my dad, let alone what we have here. Even if the whole thing goes more pear shaped than it already is, the memory of this time will always be something HRjr will take with him.

It's easy to criticize from afar, but when it's all said and done, if you add up all the time you've spent reading and posting about HR and the FH and look at that time as time you could've spent with your kids building anything, it's pretty clear who's time was more productive.

So, knock off the insults, the condescending attitudes and step back, sure it may be all wrong but in the end, a father and son experience like this one cannot be purchased, cannot be revisited, cannot be recreated. Like I said, I'd be happier than *********** in a doughnut storm to have the chance to build a paper mâché opti with my dad.

My father died on Monday 8/4/91. That day I had, in my car, 2 trophies to show my dad, back to back first place US Nationals and 1st place NA championships. He died 2 hrs before I got to show him. I wish we had gotten to know each other more. See, my dad started me sailing, at age 4. I'd love the chance to do what HR and son are doing, yes, even the mistakes, for the building of a boat is just one of the details, building memories of doing stuff with your dad is something every one of us can relate to and many of us miss everyday.

Before you post another cynical comment or snarky self aggrandizing comment, take that time and do something with your son, he will appreciate it and that time just may be one of his fondest memories after you're gone.
That's beautiful, very thoughtful.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
It seems as if the arrest was initiated over something a little more serious than a fix it ticket. Hot Rod was involved in a fight/disturbance at the Loch Lomond harbormaster's office that got the cops called in.
True. Anytime any cops have contact with a person they get DOB name and do a warrant check. SOP. And the disturbance was not a 'normal' cause of action..... But.. if they were going to charge him with assault then it would should be on the booking sheet.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Thanks USA. There is not much I wouldn't do to have the fun of building something with Spike. But that's only a dream now.

The guy had a dream

That's beautiful, very thoughtful.
+1

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
The guy had a dream

That was really nice. Thanks for that.

H20 said: A budget crisis is forcing it to release REAL criminals. HR does not appear to be a real criminal. At least not in the US.. North Korea.. yea.. but not in the US, or even in CA.

No one from the side of the state is interested in incarcerating HR. I am sure that after the county that put the warrant out for HR gets notice they will just toss it. No need to waste money when they can find a real criminal...

Your ideas sounds about right, but they are wrong. It's true that in the near future they are supposed to release lots of (non-violent) criminals. But the cops have their job to make arrests and they don't check with the Dept of Corrections first to see if they have room.

HR was very threatening in this thread over the weekend. I took him seriously enough that I decided not to stop by for a photos yesterday.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Finally, the shooting of a harbor master by a tenant about to have a lien put on his boat was in Petaluma, a small town that is a wonderful weekend boating destination. By land, it is about 30 minutes north on Highway 101.
Wayne Kipp was murdered 13 years ago. If that's the shooting GRS was referring to, he's off by a little over a decade. Then again, perhaps time moves slower for him.
That was the tragic incident I was referring to - I can't believe that was 13 years ago, wow. Thanks for remembering the particulars, RIP Wayne.
But don't knock Island Time - we just got Star Wars in the theatres here...

Raked Aft\\

Super Anarchist
The North Coast
I'd be happier than *********** in a doughnut storm...
You, my friend, owe me a keyboard for that one! classic...

Beautiful prose! Sat back and thought of both stuff i did/built with my dad and with my son as well. Think it's time to plan a new project...

Thanks!

shadowraiths

I'd love the chance to do what HR and son are doing, yes, even the mistakes, for the building of a boat is just one of the details, building memories of doing stuff with your dad is something every one of us can relate to and many of us miss everyday.
So true. My son and were talking about the people on this site talking shit about HR and his dream. Our convo went from that to talking about how it was pretty awesome that not only did HR get to build the boat with his son but also recognized the memories they were building together. Building a seaworthy boat is one thing. Building memories is another, altogether. In the end, while his boat may not make it to Hawaii, and in fact, may sink. what won't sink are the memories of this particular journey with his son. Something that money simply cannot buy.

Thanks USA. There is not much I wouldn't do to have the fun of building something with Spike. But that's only a dream now.
Every design you pen is done with Spike looking over your shoulder. He'll always be there.

That little voice in your head saying" that'll never work..." He's there...

Your post /\ /\ /\ back a few was/is touching

I would give most anything to do most anything with my Day once again

However if doing something w my Dad cost the Life of my MOM ........... the Deal is OFF

And That is a different story

Yet more or less that is the Story of HR & the FH - should it continue as written

They shudda built a Nice Cabin out in BumPhuck and lived off the Land - that is Much Kinder than the Sea :mellow:

shadowraiths

Finally, the shooting of a harbor master by a tenant about to have a lien put on his boat was in Petaluma, a small town that is a wonderful weekend boating destination. By land, it is about 30 minutes north on Highway 101.
Wayne Kipp was murdered 13 years ago. If that's the shooting GRS was referring to, he's off by a little over a decade. Then again, perhaps time moves slower for him.
That was the tragic incident I was referring to - I can't believe that was 13 years ago, wow. Thanks for remembering the particulars, RIP Wayne.
But don't knock Island Time - we just got Star Wars in the theatres here...
How's the old saying go? Time flies when you don't know where you're sailing? I was, of course, ribbing you on the time bit. ^_~

Latest posts