65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Semi serious question.

It is the end of the world, you have to get to Hawaii, There are only two boats left.

One is the Flying Hawaiian.

The other is an Americas Cup boat You can choose which one. I am too bored to look at that shit to choose, life is too short.

Having made your choice what strategy would you employ to improve your chances of getting there. Loading aboard a freighter is not an option, ya gotta sail the sucker there.
Swimming would be more reliable than either option.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
I'm told that the supposed Mrs. HR has abandoned ship. Also not a Mrs., likely a caretaker for mom or girlfriend of father or son. Finally someone on board demonstrates reasonable sense!
She probably moved out when they moved the "Harley" into her bedroom.

"Excuse the dripping oil, but we need to get this off the patio."

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
Semi serious question.

It is the end of the world, you have to get to Hawaii, There are only two boats left.

The other is an Americas Cup boat You can choose which one. I am too bored to look at that shit to choose, life is too short.

Having made your choice what strategy would you employ to improve your chances of getting there. Loading aboard a freighter is not an option, ya gotta sail the sucker there.
if it's the end of the world, why the fuck am I now in a tizzy to get to Hawaii?

I wouldn't be choosing either of those options.

I'm stealin one of these and rounding up strippers ...

the_marauder_from_top_gear_by_jmig3-d4ibim2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Semi serious question.

I'm in agreement with BnG, if it's the end of the world WTF go to Hawaii... what did I finally get that paid vacation now that it's all over?

However, to answer the question: FH is not ever going to survive any distance/duration at sea, and I'm not at all confident any of the hull panels will make a good raft. So I'd take the AC72 which at least doesn't fall apart just sitting still. Just put a smaller rig... maybe conventional cloth sail... on it, it'll still be pretty fast without the stress & strain of getting up on the foils. Need a watermaker and food though. Once you get there, it may be possible to use the world's last remaining functional hydraulic system (hand cranked is worth something now!!) to rule the islands.

FB- Doug

kippermoose

UK
King Handcranked Hydraulics gonna look a real pussy when King Great Harleysaki thunders up the beach! YaaaaaaR!

It could be a risk worth taking...

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Semi serious question.

Swimming would be more reliable than either option.
No matter what you chose, swimming would be the inevitable option.

Spoffo

Thanks to Oronoco for the new pix. His shot of the port bow shows the newly-raised seam I saw (but wasn't able to capture in a photo) back when I when found FH the day after the long tow. I've cropped that part from his shot and tried to emphasize that seam in Photoshop. There's always been a certain amount of this raw bones look on FH, but to my eye, it has been slowly getting worse, and I'm pretty sure this bit was new after the tow.

I also have a different theory about the bike. I think they off-loaded it at a pier in Sausalito either on their way in on Aug 14 or a day or two later. One clue would be if their anchoring spot has moved from what I saw on the 8/15. If I can get back down there, I could compare where they are now against the range marks from my earlier photos.

Windward

Super Anarchist
Thanks Spoffo!

To my eye I'd say the FH is holding up nicely! Props to HR.

The 99% here (and me) didn't give it a snowballs chance of making it this far, and I say the FH is doing significantly better than expected.

Yes, the raw bones look is a prefect description.

I think the splayed hulls comment is a tad unfair, as this was constructed in a parking lot using a chop saw and a chalk line. Probably as level as the lot. (for better or worse)

Until we inevitably see the fiberglass starting to crack, I'd say the FH is in as good an order as it could be.

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Semi serious question.

Semi-serious? Are you siem-expecting this will happen?

If the world was ending completely, I guess I would take my chance to sail on an AC72.

If the world was ending except for Hawaii, then one of the old J boats. Those would make it from CA to Hawaii without trouble. To get there, I would find people who know how to sail it and tell them that they can come with me or die, which would be true. Why they need me I don't know, so I'll make sure I have more reg army than they do.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
As an aside about the dock boxes:

I've read several posts where people theorize that they stole the dock boxes.

I doubt it. Way too obvious, all stuck up there on the bows for all to see.

These things are for sale for cheap, used, all the time at used chandlers.

durundal

Seattle
Thanks again guys :)

I drew some parallel lines on one of the pics. FH doesn't look well. Looks like the hulls are beginning to spread apart.
Unfortunately you need to start paying a lot of attention to your lenses when you start wanting straight lines in real life to remain straight lines in photos, it's a common issue in architecture photography (the "falling backwards" effect if you stand at the base of a tall building and look up, for example), where they start using shift-tilt lenses: http://www.adorama.com/alc/files/41a7523241c64fb4f1f5f0aaf29dcb6b.jpg

Also, I wonder if we might be seeing the "popping" of the seam as a result of dirt and crud getting into the weave of the glass from the tow, accentuating it compared to the relatively clean paint on the plywood above and below?

IF the world was going to End Completely

I'd hope to find better things to "Get Off My List" than a Delivery to HI.

As HI is Still Part of the World and will be Ending too

Perhaps head "Out of The Environment"

Or write a Bad Check for a High Alt Balloon and 5,000 Go Pro's

And ????????????????????????????????

Ok Hookers & Blow I mean you're gunna Die anyway ........... Eh

FH is alive and well. You can see it floating from almost anywhere. From Highway 101 at the Richardson Bay Bridge, looking toward San Francisco, it's the big white thing on the far left. These are photos from Sunday Aug 18, on re-con voyage with meuritt (thanks!). Catching this Brown Pelican hunting by the GGB was the highlight, especially compared to the let-down of seeing FH in my backyard, fitting in. I didn't see any tell tale signs that a MC was recently off loaded, so I'm thinking it's down below. I'll speculate that it fell down on the passage from San Rafael, and they wisely brought it below before sustaining additional damage to vessel and bike.
We need to get the guys from CSI to zoom in on the porch doors there, and... ENHANCE!

If you go back and look at some of the out of the water pic's from page 9, you can see the seam clearly. From the pictures they look the same, does it look like the seam has increased?

Thanks to Oronoco for the new pix. His shot of the port bow shows the newly-raised seam I saw (but wasn't able to capture in a photo) back when I when found FH the day after the long tow. I've cropped that part from his shot and tried to emphasize that seam in Photoshop. There's always been a certain amount of this raw bones look on FH, but to my eye, it has been slowly getting worse, and I'm pretty sure this bit was new after the tow.

I also have a different theory about the bike. I think they off-loaded it at a pier in Sausalito either on their way in on Aug 14 or a day or two later. One clue would be if their anchoring spot has moved from what I saw on the 8/15. If I can get back down there, I could compare where they are now against the range marks from my earlier photos.

Latest posts