65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
The inboard edges of the steps appear lower than the outside and the horizon is still flat.

Yes, you are correct. The "bottom of the stairs" (can we call this the transom?) is not horizontal. The port one leans inboard at 3*; the stbd one leans inboard at 1*. All measurements are relative to the horizon.

However, the forward inboard edge of the port hull (just above about the center of the dinghy) is plumb. This suggests the port hull is not rotating.

The "vertical" edges of the starboard hull are both rotated clockwise 2*. This is opposite to what I might have expected (I would have thought the hulls would roll inboard as they fail). Also, this is rotated in the opposite direction from the 1* of counter-clockwise rotation suggested by the stbd hull transom.

Of the four posts holding up the back porch (numbered 1 to 4 going left to right): #1 and #3 are plumb. #2 leans 1* to port. #4 leans 2* to port.

As I said earlier, the main mast is plumb, the mizzen mast is off by 1*.

Of course, my methods are bit crude, this is based on one photo, this work is a bit subjective and subject to any number of sources of error etc etc.

Thanks to the on-the-scene reporters providing photos and reports. As more photos are available, I can repeat the measurements. I can then create a graph of rotation versus time and keep adding data as it becomes available. Yeah, I'm an engineer.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
You sure Sutter County Jail isn't involved in a fraud to cover-up their Micky Mouse security?

How Hot Jr. roared up on the "Harley", tied a spare used 3/8" anchor line to the bars of Hot Sr's cell, ripped the window right out, and rode off with dad back to the boat where they weighed anchor and beat it out the gate under cover of darkness?

I expect their track to look something like that stolen Oyster 82.

Pacifica is sort of like Hawaii, right?

vang said:
In 6000 mostly bullshit posts you girly boys fail to realize that the only unusual stuff HR has done boils down to a matter of scale. He's built something really big and he's probably fucked up in a really big way. But guys build stuff every day, and they often fuck up, whether it's a redneck building a shitty clap trap out building, or a yuppie fucking up the wiring in a basement rec room remodel. So get off HR's case and give him some space. You can get your vicarious pleasure when something actually happens a month from now or a year, or years from now.

Don't forget that there are other builders out in the sticks that are often successful with substantial similar projects, just noticed one today:

http://www.thereflector.com/senior_lifestyle/article_dbe7ecfe-09d5-11e3-b22b-001a4bcf887a.html

I'll post some tits later, now most of you can go fuck off and quit stalking folks whose only "crime" is actually doing something.

Welcome to the forum, vang. New, fresh perspectives are always appreciated.

I'm sure you'll get a more "formal" introduction from other SA members.
Ooooh! A volunteer to staff our welcome wagon!

Both of you should htfu and show some tits.

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
he studied thousands of boats -

catamaran? check

back stairs? check

hard awning? check

plate glass back doors? check

Hot got it spot on I says

dadphoneAug2213018_zps1066ce4d.jpg

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

catamaran? check

back stairs? check

hard awning? check

Color matching dock boxes on the bow stern... check

One big difference is that Larry E can afford red paint for his boat

FB- Doug

Spoffo

C'mon folks. There are at least a dozen people on this thread who are located around SF Bay. I would guess every one has a car and a pair of binoculars. There are only so many places FH could logically go on the bay, and there's no way it can hide itself. So if we all take some time this weekend, we can either find him on the bay or be pretty sure that Michael finally followed everyone's recommendation and went into the delta.

That would be more challenging, but I still have a lot of contacts from my flying days who might be talked into helping with an aerial search (hard to do over the bay, due to airspace restrictions, but easy out in the delta.)

Don't give up!

Why doesn't someone call him on the phone? Or is his cell phone impounded?

From a previous newspaper article:

"Lane said he will take calls from anyone interested in becoming a sponsor; the number is 530-680-4351"

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
Hey! - they can go up the Sacramento river to the Feather river to Sutter county - what VHF channel are the drawbridge tenders on?

On the way hot rod!

Last edited by a moderator:

Binnacle Bat

catamaran? check

back stairs? check

hard awning? check

Color matching dock boxes on the bow stern... check

One big difference is that Larry E can afford red paint for his boat

FB- Doug
You'da thunk that Mr. Ellison, having spent several gazillion dollars on defending the dignity of the USA in the world's preeminent ego-contest yacht race, would be able to afford to fly the ensign of the USA in one of the acceptable ways on his chase/observation/whatever boats. That flag is about big enough to park in the grave of a veteran in the local cemetery on Memorial Day, but not on a boat that size (my local cemetery has folks who fought at Bunker Hill, and lots of battles ever since). Looks like it's at less than half mast, slid down over the VHF aerial. Someone thinks the Kiwis are going to whup their ass, and humility is required even now?

Last edited by a moderator: