65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
OK, someone help me out. I was away for the weekend and went sailing. I am just catching up.

Something here doesn't make sense. This is from the Marin IJ article:

According to Richardson Bay Harbor Administrator Bill Price, the eight-ton sailboat's anchor line wore through earlier in the week, causing it to drift over to the Belvedere shoreline, shouting distance from the multi-million-dollar homes on the exclusive community's bayfront.

"She was up against the houses in Belvedere, so it was hard to see her," Price said, noting that he helped Lane's 28-year-old son, Michael Johnson, move the beige behemoth back into deeper water.

Since when do "Harbor Administrators" help towing and anchoring sailboats? I can understand helping out if someone was in danger or the boat was about to sink, but I think the correct response should have been "It is your boat - get it out of here. Would you like to use my cell to call SeaTow?".

Maybe Bill Price was just trying to be nice and helpful, but he was probably WAY out of his legal responsibilities and obligations to be doing what he was doing. What if something happened during the tow? What if he advised a particular place to anchor and later the boat drags again? Is he liable?

This just doesn't make sense to me that Bill Price would stick his neck out so far. It might get bitten (you know, biting the hand that helps and all).

Thoughts?

And thanks again to so many on-site observers for their input.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
atefooterz said:
If the FH is still floating at the end of Sept then Hot Rod & co should be awarded the Americas Cup, seems fair nuf & all merican to boot!
Sept - October are the calmest times of the year on the Bay. Even if he's running pumps all day FH will still be floating. Come December Marin will be hoasting a clean up your water front day removing pieces of the FH.

Cement_Shoes

Super Anarchist
A to Z
Maybe Bill Price was just trying to be nice and helpful, but he was probably WAY out of his legal responsibilities and obligations to be doing what he was doing. What if something happened during the tow? What if he advised a particular place to anchor and later the boat drags again? Is he liable?

This just doesn't make sense to me that Bill Price would stick his neck out so far. It might get bitten (you know, biting the hand that helps and all).

Thoughts?

Hot Rod was in jail at the time Bill Price helped. The Viking might invite much more sympathy and thus elicit more help. Also you have to wonder if The Viking would call a professional tow company and if they could afford to pay. There does seem to be a budding tradition of helping out Hot Rod enough to get him moved out of from becoming your permanent problem.

If Bill Price helped out solely as a good neighbor and good mariner, he is a better person than I suspect I would be given the same circumstances.

OK, someone help me out. I was away for the weekend and went sailing. I am just catching up.

According to Richardson Bay Harbor Administrator Bill Price, the eight-ton sailboat's anchor line wore through earlier in the week, causing it to drift over to the Belvedere shoreline, shouting distance from the multi-million-dollar homes on the exclusive community's bayfront.

"She was up against the houses in Belvedere, so it was hard to see her," Price said, noting that he helped Lane's 28-year-old son, Michael Johnson, move the beige behemoth back into deeper water.

Since when do "Harbor Administrators" help towing and anchoring sailboats? I can understand helping out if someone was in danger or the boat was about to sink, but I think the correct response should have been "It is your boat - get it out of here. Would you like to use my cell to call SeaTow?".

Thoughts?

There are people who can give more first hand accounts, what I am about to say I regard as gossip. The politics and power of the Hill People want all boats gone from the anchorage, the pretty ones too. Other neighborhoods have succeeded in clearing their scenic spots. Mr Price has to be on top of what goes on in "his bay/anchorage" or the Hill People will have reason to stir up trouble, by towing FH back and getting it re-anchored, he takes away ammo from them.

The is exactly why many of us consider FH a problem, I don't care that he built the boat, that is floats or sinks or whatever happens to it, I think its kind of neat, but as has been said before, it isn't going to end well. On its way to becoming a snack for Raccoon, the Garaj-mahol has made authorities more aware of us, and in a negative way, making them believe we are up to no good or worse, and eventually we all become a liability and the legislature will make laws restricting use of the waterway by recreation boaters.

My small circle of boating friends can't figure out why Mr Price just delayed the day of reckoning, its clear FH needs ground tackle that he doesn't have. will 15 each 15# anchors on 3/8 polypro hold the behemoth in a 20k southerly? When he inevitably takes off out of control again will he just drift harmlessly onto the shore, or through the marine preserve in the north east corner of RB, or onto other boats in the anchorage causing them to drag when they otherwise might not have, or maybe somehow it drifts SW into the way of the Sausalito Ferry. Just like when they drifted onto the Sisters during their stay off China Camp, the authorities that could have/should have put a stop to an unsafe situation, didn't. I would love to know why it wasn't immediately declared unsafe, taken to Raccoon and crunched up, if for no other reason than it hasn't got the necessary gear to anchor with. PLUS it is our understanding that no houseboats are allowed to anchor in RB, the Garajmahol is nothing but a houseboat, or even a barge and by definition seems like it can't legally be there.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean

Thoughts?

There are people who can give more first hand accounts, what I am about to say I regard as gossip. The politics and power of the Hill People want all boats gone from the anchorage, the pretty ones too. Other neighborhoods have succeeded in clearing their scenic spots. Mr Price has to be on top of what goes on in "his bay/anchorage" or the Hill People will have reason to stir up trouble, by towing FH back and getting it re-anchored, he takes away ammo from them.

The is exactly why many of us consider FH a problem, I don't care that he built the boat, that is floats or sinks or whatever happens to it, I think its kind of neat, but as has been said before, it isn't going to end well. On its way to becoming a snack for Raccoon, the Garaj-mahol has made authorities more aware of us, and in a negative way, making them believe we are up to no good or worse, and eventually we all become a liability and the legislature will make laws restricting use of the waterway by recreation boaters.

My small circle of boating friends can't figure out why Mr Price just delayed the day of reckoning, its clear FH needs ground tackle that he doesn't have. will 15 each 15# anchors on 3/8 polypro hold the behemoth in a 20k southerly? When he inevitably takes off out of control again will he just drift harmlessly onto the shore, or through the marine preserve in the north east corner of RB, or onto other boats in the anchorage causing them to drag when they otherwise might not have, or maybe somehow it drifts SW into the way of the Sausalito Ferry. Just like when they drifted onto the Sisters during their stay off China Camp, the authorities that could have/should have put a stop to an unsafe situation, didn't. I would love to know why it wasn't immediately declared unsafe, taken to Raccoon and crunched up, if for no other reason than it hasn't got the necessary gear to anchor with. PLUS it is our understanding that no houseboats are allowed to anchor in RB, the Garajmahol is nothing but a houseboat, or even a barge and by definition seems like it can't legally be there.
so, if I understand correctly, some Wealthy William living above the anchorage is not happy with any floaters in the bay?

Why would a Hill Billy care?

(ok bad bad joke..., but it was begging for some fun, kind of like the FH....)

Thoughts?

OK so what's the Bad News :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon

Thoughts?
Bill Price has been THE MAN in Richardson Bay for nearly two decades, as I recall. He definitely knows what he is doing and knows everything that's happening in that anchorage.

savoir

Super Anarchist

snaerk

Super Anarchist
High latitudes

Something here doesn't make sense. ...

Thoughts?

You are SEW ryt !

Hoapfully the "House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC)" monitorz this forum and will be onto it Direcktley !

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean

Something here doesn't make sense. ...

Thoughts?

You are SEW ryt !

Hoapfully the "House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC)" monitorz this forum and will be onto it Direcktley !
You guys do not read the news do you...

This is the internet... where the only one who knows if you are dog is the NSA... and they can tell you your breed and the number of times you checked this thread. And this thread IS monitored, as we have many visitors from around the world reading and posting photos.. The welcome picts could even (hell, they probably do...) have embedded secret messages... so..

not to worry..

BTW snaerk your writing definitely is being talked about as a crime in the English Writing world. Yet... I guess the HUAC is not going to challenge you, as they have more problems with the Un-American activities all the politicians are doing......... ;(

HR could have got further, sooner, cheaper

over his head w sumthing like this

Reply [email protected] [?]flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of

Posted: 2013-08-06, 11:14AM PDT

1960 53' William Garden Center Cockpit Ketch - $29,950

00x0x_hD3UDID3Vlh_600x450.jpg

SALE OR JOINT VENTURE - GREAT OPPORTUNITY!!

This 1960 William Garden Ketch "Little Revenge" is a bluewater cruiser with a great history and pedigree. She is a center cockpit ketch with a cutter bow, 53' overall with a 12'2" beam and a draft of 5'7". Little Revenge was custom built for John H. Case (of Cutts & Case, Oxford, MD) known for their world class boat designs and vintage boat restorations) at the historic Eddon Boat Yard in Gig Harbor, WA. Edward Hoppen was the builder and master carpenter, who is also famous for building the Thunderbird sailboats. The Gig Harbor Boat Shop is now a museum as a preserved maritime heritage site with boat building, repair and restoration programs with Guy Hoppen, the builder's son as the President and Founding Director. Guy was at the launching of Little Revenge when a boy and recalls the laying of the keel and her construction. It was said that Case and Garden actually picked out trees together in the Pacific Northwest for the boat. When John Case owned Little Revenge from 1960 through 1968, every Spring he sailed her from San Bernandino, CA through the Panama Canal to Oxford, MD at the Cutts & Case shipyard in the Chesapeake.

Little Revenge is a fine example of William Garden's work which "celebrates the art of ship design, instantly recognizable as exceptionally seaworthy, sensibly built, and of distinct proportion and grace," as stated by the Blue Book of Boats.

Little Revenge is Design No. 420, catalogue No. 96.336 of the William Garden Collection 1906--1999, at the Daniel S. Gregory Ships Plans Library, Mystic Seaport, CT. The plans are available for sale. Little Revenge is also featured in two of William Garden's books, 100 Yacht & Vessel Designs, p. 43, "Character in a Ketch" and Yacht Designs, p. 162. She is a previously documented vessel from 1960 until 2006 and can be documented again.

Little Revenge was built with the best materials available in 1960 with no expense spared including an oak frame, yellow cedar planking and silicon bronze screw fasteners. She is wedge seamed (no caulking) and is true and watertight. She is presently floating high and dry in the water. Little Revenge has large aft and fore cabins with an ensuite head, sink and shower in each cabin and a large double skylight salon with fireplace and will easily accommodate sleeping for ten people. There is beautiful wordwork throughout the boat, including two large curved skylights in the salon and two large hatches in the forward stateroom. She has many large retangular and round bronze port holes letting the sunlight in. There is also a dinette for seating and two large curved couches. The galley is very spacious with two large refrigerated units with compressors, a 4-burner gas stove and double stainless sink. She has good counter space and many wood cabinets. Note food and beverage pass through between Galley and Cockpit. There is a hot water heater and an emaciator. Little Revenge has an electric circuit breaker panel for both 110 and 12v, many distinctive old lamps, a marine radio and depth sounder.

She is equipped with a Detroit Diesel 671 engine that needs work and/or replacement, rod linkage geared steering with rudder brake. I have a 215 hp Ford Sabre marine turbo diesel engine that can be included. Little Revenge has an aluminum main mast with steps and navigational lights and wood mizen mast, with outstanding standing rigging with bronze turnbuckles. There is a main sail in good condition with a cover attached to the main mast and a mizzen sail in fair condition. She has a wooden rail and a bronze stanchion safety rail system. Many large on deck storage lockers everywhere midship, cockpit and aft.

As depicted in the accompanying photos, Little Revenge is a one of a kind seaworthy bluewater cruiser designed with beauty and function by William Garden. She requires finishing work that can be accomplished with original plans and when completed, you will have a beautiful center cockpit quick and stout global cruiser. She has a sound hull and is well-built. Around the Los Angeles area, there are many sailboat salvage shops where you can outfit Little Revenge with period hardware, winches, stanchions, windlass and sails at great prices. We can put you in contact with many of these stores.

William Garden over the period of six decades has produced over 650 designs ranging from commercial fishing vessels and tugboats to sailing yachts from which thousands of boats have been built around the world. William Garden together with Bill Hardin, Bill Crealock and Ernie Chamberlain were the pioneers of Taiwan Boat Building for the American market.

Little Revenge's fast sailing qualities were featured In June 2004 -- 48 deg, North Letters -- Sailing the "Third Option" for the Journey Up the West Coast from Mexico Paid Off as follows: "A bit over-eager to relieve the monotony of a prolonged starboard tack, I put Tyche about. Shortly thereafter we crossed tacks with the ketch Little Revenge, we came within hailing distance, found that she was out of Acapulco and also bound for Sausalito. Two days later, the wind backed to its prevalent northwest in this region and we finished our passage in good style 50 days out. Little Revenge was already in, having carried the starboard tack a bit farther through the northeast trades and hence picking up the prevailing westerlies sooner."

Wood Sailboats should be the choice of bluewater sailors. In an article by Cutts & Case, "Wood vs. Fiberglass" it is stated, "Contrary to popular belief, fiberglass is absolutely not the "Miracle Product" it was thought to be years ago! Fiberglass hulls require as much, if not more, maintenance than wood boats. Recent studies show that water actually penetrates through fiberglass, freezing in winter and eventually delaminating the multilayer cores. Now, it is recommended that all fiberglass boats have long haul out periods for reduction of osmotic penetration." "Fiberglass is subject to blistering and delamination, producing a pH acid causing deterioration of the internal structural material." "The beauty of a wood boat, naturally finished in sparkling varnish or brilliant paint, is incomparable to any other product on the market. Wood boats are comfortably inviting, they insulate against heat, cold and noise, and they better absorb engine and other unwanted vibrations. The fiberglass boats are plain, almost sterile-looking. Colored fiberglass fades rapidly, and over time, almost always needs to be painted." "Wood boats have a proven track record. Many wood yachts built in the 1920's and 1930's are still cruising today. Woods such as cedar, teak, etc. last indefinitely if metallics are eliminated and correct structural design is adhered to...Fiberglass boats have only been around for a relatively short time, and are already delaminating, blistering, oxidizing and continuously producing spider cracks in gel coats which eventually deteriorate the finish and structure." A wood boat is also much stronger and safer than a fiberglass boat.

World cruising demands this strongly built hull. There are many objects such as containers just floating below the surface and large telephone poles and trees washed from rivers and bays.

This is a one of a kind once in a lifetime opportunity to own and cruise on one of the world's best designed and constructed center cockpit ketch. There are few yards that could reproduce this quality of vessel. She was built to last and cruise the world. The center cockpit is a large comfortable command post and gathering place. This is indeed one of the most beautiful William Garden designs ever put to paper.

Needs fitting out completed, do it as you want. This is a stout boat that will take you anywhere in the world safely and amazing draft for her size.

Vessel located in Los Angeles area. Sale or Joint Venture! Terms Negotiable.

Please call Jim 404-402-5657 for more photos/info or appointment to see Little Revenge. There's only this one.

REDUCED TO 29,950/Best Offer!

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
.... ...

... ...
Answering a question with a question- is the harbormaster's responsibility to keep persons (primarily) and property (secondarily) safe & in good order (ie unlikely to come to harm in the immediate future) in his harbor? If yes, the it may well be the harbormaster's responsibility to tow a vessel that cannot move any other way, and is certain to cause harm and/or injury where it is. Calling Sea Tow or the like would basically have been an exercise in wanking without tissue... a waste of time and more likely to cause further muss & fuss.

"Is he liable?" Not in the sense that any reasonable & sensible person would blame him for the certain train wreck the HR/FH bunch is headed for. Might a court decide he's liable (assuming HR can find a lawyer to sue on his behalf), yeah well this is Amurrickah, buddy. Anybody can sue anybody for anything, and it's a dice roll what the court will decide.

Sort of the way some people here in SA feel that it's somehow -our- fault that FH is such an under-built under-equipped under-crewed kludge. Actually it would need to be improved several orders of magnitude before it could be considered a "kludge."

FB- Doug