65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Spoffo

NEW PIX!

Frustrated by the lack of recent hard news, I finally loaded up all my gear and drove down there today - only to come home and discover that Buehler had scooped me :( .

When I first found FH and put the scope on it, it looked like nobody was home. All the hatches sliding doors were closed and I couldn't see either of the tenders. Just as I was about to give up, PAY DIRT! Out onto the back porch walked Michael and the Rodster hisself. It was just like the good old days - the big guy with the mane of flaming red hair and the smaller wiry one with the cutoff black shirt and the ball cap. They went partway down the stairs and fussed around until they extracted the dinghy from the tunnel and got it streaming down wind. The wind had started to come up and I'm guessing it stared banging around against the inside of the hulls. Of course this all happened before I managed to my camera set up on the scope! Luckily a little later there were more episodes of people popping out onto the porch to fuss with things.

I got three good pix of this (and lots of bad, out of focus ones.) but I never again got as clear a view of HR in clothes I recognized or with his distinctive dome and hairdo. Michael definitely didn't reappear. Take a look at this guy in the wife-beater. In two pix he looks like he could be HR, but in one of them he clearly looks bigger and heavier. It could be that he's a third crew member who came aboard to help Michael while his father was in stir. What do other's think?

I never saw the Bayliner or the women, so that remains to be sorted. (There is an area of the port side that I never saw on this visit, so it's possible the Bayliner was tied up there, but if it had been tied in its usual position flush with the, stern I would have seen it.) I also included a fresh shot of the neighbors, to make it clear that if HR behaves himself, he could probably fit in and lead a long happy live down there. He's not the stand-out irritant he was in San Rafael.

PS: If anyone else wants to go observe or shoot pix from shore, I found that the best spot was at the very tip of the Strawberry peninsula, where there's a little park. It's about as close as you can get to FH from shore, you have a clear shot and as the boat swings in a westerly or southerly wind you get a pretty good look at the back porch. There may be places on the Sausalito shore that are a little closer, but the view would be obstructed in many of them, and in a west wind like today, you never would have seen the back. (The first pic was taken with a 50mm lens, roughly what you'd see with your naked eye, The others were all taken with a digi-scoping rig that is the equivalent of a 1000mm lens, with additional croping and sharpening in Photoshop.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I think those rudders are showing a slight toe-in angle. Clear evidence that the bridge deck will sag down into the water in the next few weeks.

(Well, they were kinda boring pics but I appreciate the effort. And had to do something with them.)

Sand crab

Montana
Good pix Spoffo. Is that a lady in the wife beater shirt? That 3rd pic shows the ever present porch roof and cockpit sag. I can't see the bike.

It is interesting that the CG had to render assistance because the FH was taking on water. As I recall there are no thruhulls or hull penetrations for propulsion of any kind. It must just be a bad build.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Good pix Spoffo. Is that a lady in the wife beater shirt? That 3rd pic shows the ever present porch roof and cockpit sag. I can't see the bike.

It is interesting that the CG had to render assistance because the FH was taking on water. As I recall there are no thruhulls or hull penetrations for propulsion of any kind. It must just be a bad build.
Sometimes you see a lot of water and it turns out to be water that used to be in your tanks.

Thanks to Jarcher, we know that the CG incident occurred a month ago. They said there was a hole in the boat, the fearless crew patched it, and the on board bilge pumps took care of the water.

Thanks for the pix Spoffo. If he's still there another week I will go out at high tide and get some close ups. I wonder if the neighbors in Belvedere would let somebody use their zillion dollar deck for some close ups?

Meanwhile, here's a photo from better days showing the steering gear

image.jpg

Reb

Australia
"A hole the size of a quarter, reported to the Coastguard as a boat taking on water..." It mustve come from a phone call from someone onboard.

Is this the third call for help before even leaving the harbour ? A good call by the OIC to not attempt to tow the boat. That ended badly for them last time.

And how would a master builder armed with a scrap of plywood, a jar of screws and a battery drill fix the hole from the inside of the boat with the bilges awash..? He must have had a drill bit extension in his toolbox.....

To a master builder, boats are just....

Little boxes little boxes, and they're all just made of ticky tacky and they all screw together just the same...

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
"A hole the size of a quarter, reported to the Coastguard as a boat taking on water..." It mustve come from a phone call from someone onboard.

Is this the third call for help before even leaving the harbour ? A good call by the OIC to not attempt to tow the boat. That ended badly for them last time.
I actually spoke with the CG person who was handling the FOIA request, and she told me that the incident she located was the only incident she could locate. I filed a broad request as far as time was concerned, so apparently, at least until I had filed the request, there had been just one incident involving the CG. Perhaps there was another afterwards but the one I referred to was the first incident involving the CG.

I was quite irritated when I read the docs because HR or the viking or someone associated with that bunch made some disparaging remarks about the CG, claiming that the CG somehow damaged his barge. I'm not going to go digging through the thread to find it but I remember it clearly. Anyhow, the documents make it clear that this is completely untrue. The CG is not going to file inaccurate reports. If they had attempted to tow the thing they would have said so.

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist
Thanks for the pix Spoffo. If he's still there another week I will go out at high tide and get some close ups. I wonder if the neighbors in Belvedere would let somebody use their zillion dollar deck for some close ups?

Meanwhile, here's a photo from better days showing the steering gear
somehow I missed that pic before. Wow. I knew his steering was FUBAR but that is hysterical! That set would fold if it were on the stern of a Dyer Dhow!

I actually spoke with the CG person who was handling the FOIA request, and she told me that the incident she located was the only incident she could locate. I filed a broad request as far as time was concerned, so apparently, at least until I had filed the request, there had been just one incident involving the CG. Perhaps there was another afterwards but the one I referred to was the first incident involving the CG.

I was quite irritated when I read the docs because HR or the viking or someone associated with that bunch made some disparaging remarks about the CG, claiming that the CG somehow damaged his barge. I'm not going to go digging through the thread to find it but I remember it clearly. Anyhow, the documents make it clear that this is completely untrue. The CG is not going to file inaccurate reports. If they had attempted to tow the thing they would have said so.

a Fifty Caliber leak in the hull could Not have been the fault of a tow by the CG ;)

Spoffo

Based on a couple of range lines I checked, here's my best estimate of FH's position right now. It looks like the one place in Sausalito that might be closer than the tip of Strawberry (the point marked 'B") would be the finger pier at Clipper Yacht harbor (it's that projection pointing almost straight at the spot.)

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
Its ok, he studied thousands of waves, and none of them were more than 4 inches high, so therefore no water could enter the transoms via the 2 steering cable holes on each transom.....

a Fifty Caliber leak in the hull could Not have been the fault of a tow by the CG ;)
Or a 12 gauge slug.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean

Or a 12 gauge slug.
or the size of a finger..... ;)

Or a 12 gauge slug.
or the size of a finger..... ;)

does the FH have a Glory Hole ?? :eek:

Latest posts