65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Hot Rod, I'll continue to make fun of the train wreck unfolding, but I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Boston1

Super Anarchist
BF colorado
When I talked to HR yesterday he said he used 250 yards of glass. Maybe there is more to the FH than just seam taping.
250 "whole" yards ;-)

Work out the numbers Crab. At 65 by 32 ? by lets call it 12, it has a cubic surface area of 6,488 sq/ft and if we go with a block coefficient of say 0.60 ( and thats being generous ) we come up with a square footage required of 3893 sq/ft , but 250 yards is only 2,250 sq/ft soooooooo what kinda coverage do you really think he got ? :D

If it was more like 750 yards then it'd be 6750 available vs 3893 needed with a BC of 0.6, a BC of 0.75 which might be more accurate considering the inside of hulls, works out to 4866 sq/ft needed vs 6750 available, or just about one layer considering overlap, assuming he didn't railroad the stuff.

It kinda sounds like he's not sure how much he used, which is kinda frightening cause there's a specific amount of resin your supposed to use for each yard of glass, depending on what the weight of glass is. Its not like you just randomly slather that shit on and call it good.

Anyway at least there is something on there B)

Last edited by a moderator:

snaerk

Super Anarchist
High latitudes
Mister Hawaiian

This syt iz danjerus enuf to the mental helth of peeple hoo just lerk.

To peeple hoo arowz comment, it iz trooly toxick.

I sinseerly advyz yoo to do whatever yoo need to do to walk away and dont ever look back.

Sand crab

Montana
When I talked to HR yesterday he said he used 250 yards of glass. Maybe there is more to the FH than just seam taping.
250 "whole" yards ;-)

Work out the numbers Crab. At 65 by 32 ? by lets call it 12, it has a cubic surface area of 6,488 sq/ft and if we go with a block coefficient of say 0.60 ( and thats being generous ) we come up with a square footage required of 3893 sq/ft , but 250 yards is only 2,250 sq/ft soooooooo what kinda coverage do you really think he got ? :D

If it was more like 750 yards then it'd be 6750 available vs 3893 needed with a BC of 0.6, a BC of 0.75 which might be more accurate considering the inside of hulls, works out to 4866 sq/ft needed vs 6750 available, or just about one layer considering overlap, assuming he didn't railroad the stuff.

It kinda sounds like he's not sure how much he used, which is kinda frightening cause there's a specific amount of resin your supposed to use for each yard of glass, depending on what the weight of glass is. Its not like you just randomly slather that shit on and call it good.

Anyway at least there is something on there B)
I can't remember exactly what he said but on second thought 750 sounds more like it. I wasn't taking notes. An fwiw glass is frequently sold by the running yard so if that's a 60" roll then you get about twice as much. So a yard may not be a square yad but 3' X 60".

I have a question for you Hotrod.

What happened with the back steps, off of the porch?

The stair risers are of unequal height. It would actually take a master carpenter a fair amount of effort to produce such a result.

Also on the same subject....do you find that people are constantly tripping when they use the stairs?

Thanks...

Sand crab

Montana

HR was specific about the yardage when I talked to him The confusion is coming from me. And he said he used 1000 gallons of epoxy. That I do remember.

mo fuzz

Super Anarchist

HR was specific about the yardage when I talked to him The confusion is coming from me. And he said he used 1000 gallons of epoxy. That I do remember.
Really? that would be 18 qty 55 gallon drums. Even the cheapest epoxy would be too cost prohibitive for HR in those amounts.

Even if this is really HR or not, it is all BS. Exagerrated BS at best. We have all seen in the media interviews (TV interview, MarinIJ, and first hand encounters) how much delusional BS comes from this guy.

Unless you find this BS entertaining, this thread is dead until there are new pictures with Raccoon activity.

We put on 3 tons and the water line changed one inch
Hot Rod,

Don't get distracted by the people trying to tell you how to make your vessel more sea worthy. Are you going to start taking advice from actual sailors who have logged countless hours sailing and racing on the ocean in a multitude of vessels or trust in the guts and determination that built the FH? If you were the kind of guy who took advice from people like us you would have sunk your modest budget in something like a Dana 24, Spencer 35 or Vancovuer 27. Your not that kind of guy at all. Your the kind of guy who lists his boats home port as a place he wants to be not actually where he or the boat has been!

Forget all of us armchair quarterbacks and haul up whatever anchour you got and go for it! Take to the seas and prove all us ney-sayers wrong in that magnificent edifice to what one man and his dream can achieve. My only request is toss the VHF and leave your crew behind. This is your dream and your fate so leave others and those who may have to risk their lives to save you out of it and just go. Just go...

Latest posts