65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

tls

Anarchist
If u were in a barrel the current will get u to LA in a week.
I like your confidence, but I am not sure I buy your assumptions. There is pretty steady surface current from the SF down to Pt Conception, but it only flows about .5 knot (and the pure southerly component is smaller than that). In about 2.5 weeks the current will get your barrel fairly close to Pt Conception, which is about 65% of the distance to LA. At that point, you are going to need to make a hard left for an additional 120 NM. The current won't help you as there are substantial west flowing eddies once you round the point. More realistically, if your barrel can motor/sail at 2 knots 24 hours a day, you can get to LA in about week. But your barrel will need to be prepared for gale force winds and 10' seas since those conditions are pretty likely in any given week on the route south.

You are going to find it even harder to locate a spot to anchor your boat down in Southern California than in the bay area. There are not many all weather anchorages in Southern California because almost everything is exposed to the ocean swell (or it is a maintained harbor with services for which you will be charged).

Speaking of anchorages, does anyone know if there is anywhere to anchor off the Petaluma River or San Antonio Creek (or tie up for a very modest fee)? It is quite a lot closer than the Sac river delta, it has less shipping traffic, and does not require crossing the exposed portion of San Pablo bay. It is mostly surrounded by Petaluma marsh and has a couple of half-abandoned marinas (Port Sonoma marina, Lakeville marina). Anyone ever been up there?

mikewof

mikewof
HR was specific about the yardage when I talked to him The confusion is coming from me. And he said he used 1000 gallons of epoxy. That I do remember.
I have been greatly entertained and amused by this thread right from the start.

While there was no 24/7 watch on the FH, I have no memory of ever hearing anyone talk about a large number of drums or liquid containers at the FH build site.

Looking at the early construction pictures, there were on occasion piles of lumber and other building materials. But large volumes of resin were not observed.

I am not saying it couldn't have or didn't happen, just that it was never (to my memory) discussed in this forum
That much epoxy sounds unlikely, and the boat wouldn't look like that if it had that much epoxy anyway.
I think HR-FH is probably not the guy on the boat, and has used a spoofed caller id to convince Crab otherwise.

The report from SFOR who visited the FH sounds truthful, these email reports do not sound truthful. His reports of seeing the son as dog tired jibe with someone worn over with the work and stress of being in that location. That he was completely unaware of SA sounds even more truthful, along with the solidity and groaning noise from the boat.

I could be wrong of course, if I'm wrong then I apologize to you Hot Rod and wish you the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

tls

Anarchist
Speaking of anchorages, does anyone know if there is anywhere to anchor off the Petaluma River or San Antonio Creek (or tie up for a very modest fee)? It is quite a lot closer than the Sac river delta, it has less shipping traffic, and does not require crossing the exposed portion of San Pablo bay. It is mostly surrounded by Petaluma marsh and has a couple of half-abandoned marinas (Port Sonoma marina, Lakeville marina). Anyone ever been up there?
For reference, Petaluma River enters into the extreme northwest end of San Pablo bay, and is 14 nm due north of FH's current location. I checked out Port Sonoma Marina on google maps and it looks like the kinda place that has small powerboats, dismasted sail boats, and concrete working barges. It is bordered by a highway and appears to be at 1/3 capacity. Not scenic, but seems pretty ideal for the FH. Anyone been there?

Citizen Kang

Rigel 4
Regarding the resin debate. Remember that the hulls were built up in HR's yard and trucked to the Loch Lomond site. So, not seeing any "barrels" around is a moot point.

mikewof

mikewof
Regarding the resin debate. Remember that the hulls were built up in HR's yard and trucked to the Loch Lomond site. So, not seeing any "barrels" around is a moot point.
I just base it on my (admittedly amateurish) work in glassing. it seems to me that this much resin ( unless it was insanely high in evaporative vocs) would just look smoother than that and would hide those seams better.
But again, apologies if I'm wrong. I'm of the "slathererer" type of glasser. I can get a pretty solid coat thick layer with a gallon of resin. They had about 3000 sq. feet or so of hull area.

A thin application would be about 100 sq. ft. per gallon, a thick goopy application would be triple that. To my eye, the FH has about three drums of liquid applied to the hulls, not almost twenty.

Normy, fellow slatherer ... does that boat look like it's holding the evaporative remains of 1,000 gallons of resin?

Last edited by a moderator:
They Mighty Petaluma...

Sonoma Mud Flat/Marina is pretty nearly filled back in as mother nature prefers, "don't fall off the boat, you'll break your arm" was the advice nearly 30 years. ago. 5 years ago I inquired about keeping my boat there while I worked on her and they specifically told me no way did they want people working on their boats and my project was no where near the size of FH.

Lakeville marina is amazingly remote, has a small number of slips, none I think would be big enough for FH, and last I heard, about a year ago, a waiting list. At nearby San Antonio Creek, and a few other locations along the slough (it is river by decree, not by fact) that might be big enough to anchor in, but the current switches back and fort and can occasionally reach more than 2k. There is still barge traffic, I am told, but much less than a few years ago, gravel and I hear, an asphalt plant make the shipping these days, no more oyster shells for the chickens.

As long as he is comparing FH to a barrel in currents he can take the flood, regularly scheduled, twice a day, and make it up to Franks Tract, but I would bet there are places between here and there that they could squat at, but lacking in all sorts of services, it might be miles to the nearest dock they could get to shore and there may not be fuel for the FHjr or genset for more miles. When I planned a trip up there a year ago, I was surprised at how few diesel fuel stops there were. I didn't go on the trip for other reasons, but it seems to me you need to be very self sufficient to be in the delta. At least in RB they have everything they need to support basic life. Winter storms in the delta will only be milder because of less fetch, its miles of open space for the storms to howl through. So whats the diff between being blown ashore in RB or some remote delta levee?

HR'FH

loch lomond
We will take r chances heading south. Once we complete our tasting.We feel there's not really a good spot here for FH.

No leads on a short wave yet.

Motors on its way.

Still working on Ruter linkages ,no clear solution.

We r going to have the grommets sown in at a local shop.

Rig is set up for the old school brass jib hanks.no more foils.

tls

Anarchist
They Mighty Petaluma...

Sonoma Mud Flat/Marina is pretty nearly filled back in as mother nature prefers, "don't fall off the boat, you'll break your arm" was the advice nearly 30 years. ago. 5 years ago I inquired about keeping my boat there while I worked on her and they specifically told me no way did they want people working on their boats and my project was no where near the size of FH.
That is too bad, but it still might be worth HR's time to give the folks at Port Sonoma Marina a call. It may given him an affordable place to tie over the winter, and it is well protected. It is also very close.

They may have said that they don't want project boats, but it is pretty clear from the google image that project boats and work barges are about all that they have. I suspect that is because boats can only get in and out at high tide.

They may have said that they don't want project boats, but it is pretty clear from the google image that project boats and work barges are about all that they have. I suspect that is because boats can only get in and out at high tide.
More like Hotel (marina) California, you can check in, but you can never leave.

HR'FH

loch lomond
We raised the the temp witch changed the vescosity,to allmost the same as water the new resins r way better than the old.the sheer on ours is 17500 lbs.

Check ur specks.way better. Same resin used for aircraft and military.