65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Guy is not sure who this FR'RH fellow may be. Mr. Hot does not know what the internets are.

Anyhow, since those connards at the AC race HQ would not allow the Flyin Hawaiian in the Superyacht racing, Mr. Hot and Guy have been spending the week aboard the Athena with Mr. Jim and Mr. Kenny. Guy even was allowed to steer during the race on Monday. Fantastique! Mr. Hot is the toast of the crew and is imparting all his vast knowledge of superyacht sail handling.

Guy does not have much time to do the SA thing as Mr. Kenny is keeping us busy getting the bateau ready for today's race. Excitant, no?
well, I guess that explains it...

dcbsheb

Super Anarchist
Sheboygan, WI
From the helms u can see the side u r on .later on we can get remote joysticks they really make a difference on a cat this size.
Now I'm thoroughly perplexed. I work for one of the companies that offers said joystick control. I'll just be gentle and say it doesn't fit your budget.
Perhaps they would be willing to sign on as a sponsor of the FH. Could put a large logo on the cabin top. Just think of the exposure they would get from this site alone, not to mention Latitude 38 and the wooden boat forum. Then throw in a couple of outboards and a pair of joysticks complete with remote control capabilities. Maybe Hot Rod would offer some accommodations for the execs once in Hawaii in return.

Go the Mother F'n Flyin' Hawaiin

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
From the helms u can see the side u r on .later on we can get remote joysticks they really make a difference on a cat this size.
Building it so you can see where you're going can really make a difference on a cat this size

Of course, when the "designer" didn't even know it needed rudders, that's bit much to ask ain't it

FB- Doug

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I guess I don't really care if the actual Hot Rod himself is posting or not right now, but that is one incredibly ugly, impractical and poorly designed boat. The hullforms alone are an embarrassing travesty, a cartoon of what is well known to have worked out in practice. It wouldn't matter in the slightest if it had actually been built to proper yacht construction standards, it would still be a steaming turd simply from the design alone.

And the poor, sorry son of a bitch doesn't even have a clue.

I wish there was some way to fix this, but there really isn't. There really isn't.

I just got back from the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival where I met at least a half dozen excited, shining faces who had just successfully completed their very own first boats and were showing them off. And even though there were a few rough edges and false starts in a couple of them, every one of them had done a job they could be proud of. What a contrast! The point is, these guys had all started small and practical, using proven plans and getting instruction where needed so that they could have a sound foundation to build on. I have no doubt that some of these guys will build bigger and better things to come--but even the ones who won't will have at least built something useful and good and rewarding..

Poor, sorry son of a bitch. There's no good ending for him.
Well said.
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

A small fortune is going down with this effort. Sad, but true.
Aww c'mon guys

Stop all the hatin'

HR has built his dream, the biggest possible boat for the least possible money and the least possible amount of actual planning ahead.

In a way I could almost be a HR fan myself... I worked with a lot of guys like him... dumber than bricks, f^$ing up most of what they touch, and totally cocksure they're God's gift to mechanical trades. Oddly enough I never met a welder with an attitude like this though. Generally they are really funny personalities and after they've been fired a few times, they are still cocksure but willing to do all kinds of grunt work nobody else wants to touch. However HR being the type to not only assault but to bite a marina manager for shutting off HR's freeloading makes me unwilling to see much else positive about this bunch.

From this distance, it's pretty damn funny though

FB- Doug

H20man here's your pic
AWESOME! We got a live one!

Now keep these pictures coming! I am so thrilled that your giving this site the finger; I hope it inspires you to take this thing truely to the next level and prove people like me dead wrong and begin your trip to Hawaii. I actually don't know why you are waiting for all this extra gear. Life lines and stanchions are for chumps and from what I saw you have two seagul motors. Sounds to me like your boat just got your boat powered up so get out there and go for it!

Sand crab

Montana
Now I'm thoroughly perplexed. I work for one of the companies that offers said joystick control. I'll just be gentle and say it doesn't fit your budget.
Is that MicroCommander? I've seen these on larger yachts including cats starting around 50'. So what is a ballpark estimate for an install on a cat? I realize there are different models and options so just looking for a ballpark range. Thanks

http://www.controlmastersinc.com/microcommander.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

HR'FH

loch lomond
I got the forward jib in the shop.Got to drop off the main for leach modifying and a aft jib for hanks.350$ buys 40 Hanks for 2 jibs.and we got a brake on the price. The rest will haveto wait for now. . .got to make more $$$ for the motor mount stainless plates and bolts.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Keep an eye on the weather the system that has tried to wash Colorado into Utah the last few days seems to be rotating in our direction. No telling if we will see some wind or weather that is abnormal as a result.

HR'FH

loch lomond
When The big guys update there equempment, sometimes we get the old things for institution of the new. Or we can repair the old one.

When The big guys update there equempment, sometimes we get the old things for institution of the new. Or we can repair the old one.

Latest posts