65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

ramwel2010

Anarchist
That's the helpful instructions from SA.
YOU built a floating pile of garbage while ignoring the advice of those who had experience. YOU spent beyond your means. YOU are the only person to blame for this catastrophe.

Act like a fucking man and take ownership of your failures. Stop fucking expecting hand outs. God damn I fucking hate parasites like you.
Largely, I think he has.

How about we all stop kicking the man while he's down aye.
go back and read his posts. he's crying like a damn toddler and blaming an internet forum for his failures. fuck rod. i am unable to find sympathy for this asshole due to the simple fact that a mountain of people TRIED to help him along his way. he told them all to piss off and now he gets to reap the rewards of his ignorance.

mikewof

mikewof
svtenacious said:
In Florida, by state statute you can anchor out anywhere. There's also been a lot of press (Boat US, etc.) regarding Cities in Florida fighting anchor-outs, so it's not always without challenges. In California, it's typically not legal, at least not anywhere I know of, though it is sometimes tolerated. FastBottoms & Windsurfer believe it's easier to do than I believe, and certainly know of more anchor-outs than I do. A marina for a boat the size of FH is going to run at least $600/mo in the Bay. Probably more. Anyone with a job at burger king can afford that if it's their only bill. Whether or not you can get insurance, find a marina that will accept the boat, has room for a big Cat, and will allow live-aboards is another question. The best plan, don't hang out on SA - work on the boat, GO SAILING, avoid the property tax collector on December 31, move around.
A customer in Florida tell me depressing stories, apparently the people who purchase multi-million dollar waterfront property in Florida don't necessarily like the idea of a bunch of live-aboards in their eye-sight. So they do things like shut water off to the fountains in the parks and call the cops as a matter of course when they see an anchor-out dinghy in.

Total aside ... Weird how many Coloradoan (plus a Montanan) on this thread; me, you, Boston, Shaggy, Sand Crab.

mikewof

mikewof
Hot Rod, can you get some contingency together if you can't find a buyer at the right price?

What about going below the radar a bit and renting out a cabin or three to some houseboat tenants and docking it?

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
great. more floating sampan slums. You could have bought half of detroit for what you spent on resin and cdx.

About now Rod would be kicking himself for not keeping the empty resin drums for bouyancy aids.

Lord its hard for HR to be humble when he's grate in so many weighs...

HR you could always buy an old ior keelboat and drive it under the bridgedeck and bolt the sucker on. You'd have the engine you wanted, a rig that would be transferable, steering that works, a bow that can handle anchoring loads and a grannyflat for mum.

it would become an ior rated shedatrimaran. And it might stop the sucker from sinking for a while. And it would be a fitting end to an ior monstrosity. and you would have the keel you always wanted.

or spend a grand on recycled blue plastic barrels and secure them under the bridgedeck with an old fishing net. Then turn it into a floating manmade island...But first, register it in antigua.

Last edited by a moderator:

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
That's the helpful instructions from SA.
YOU built a floating pile of garbage while ignoring the advice of those who had experience. YOU spent beyond your means. YOU are the only person to blame for this catastrophe.

Act like a fucking man and take ownership of your failures. Stop fucking expecting hand outs. God damn I fucking hate parasites like you.
Largely, I think he has.

How about we all stop kicking the man while he's down aye.
go back and read his posts. he's crying like a damn toddler and blaming an internet forum for his failures. fuck rod. i am unable to find sympathy for this asshole due to the simple fact that a mountain of people TRIED to help him along his way. he told them all to piss off and now he gets to reap the rewards of his ignorance.
I have read his posts, Yea folk here tried to help him and he thought he knew better, Maybe, just maybe he's "crying like a dam toddler" because reality has hit him.

Good bit is that no one has died in this venture.

Like I said, lets stop kicking the man while he's down.

Doesn't sound like the boat is actually breaking up, just not working out as planned and has no funds to carry on the dream, can't even get a tow to a better place to winter out. Hot rod said something about living for a very little sum of money once the boat hits the water (sorry, I forget the actual amount). Fact is, living on a boat, maintaining it afloat and finishing it cost a heck of a lot more than some one with no boating experience thought, go figure.

lets stop kicking the man while he's down.

Go the Hotrod.

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Seems to me that HR fell into the classic amateur boat building trap of thinking that once the basic structure is complete, most of the work is done.

He severely underestimated the complexity and cost of properly fitting out, from all things such as strong points for anchoring to basic propulsion, sanitation and interior fit out to a liveable standard.

Structurally I think he may have done better than we expected, I don't believe the FH is in any immediate danger of desintegrating or sinking. But then, he hasn't met any really testing conditions yet.

All he has now is a big floating shed that can't hold on to a mooring or be anchored in any kind of wind, but can't be moved under its own power (be it sail or motor) - he is definitely stuck in a difficult situation, entirely of his own making...

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
your google Flyin Hawaiian Catamaran you will get anything that contains "flyin", "hawaiian", or "catamaran". First pages will be inclusive of all three, later ones not so much (starting on page 2 or 3)/

Search "flyin hawaiian catamaran" and you get a whopping SEVEN pages. the last three being repeats/non-unique domains that even google culls them from the search.

Nope, this is a non-event to the web world.
Fun with Google. Looks like the Googlebot has not picked up all the fine points of this thread yet.

FH-scatamaran.gif

Well. . .whether or not Hot Rod and/or the Flyin' Hawaiian are actually done, can we all just agree that at least this thread still needs to go on? After obsessively checking in on it daily, nay hourly, for lo these many years, it's truely become like one of the family. C'mon, you know it's true. We don't really need Rod at all in order to wax eloquent about motorcycles, rutters, plywood grades, questionable legal and psychological advice. . .

Besides. . . .WHERE'S LIL'MURRAY?!?! No closure until we actually locate the body! Gone maybe, but not forgotten, lil' buddy.

Cement_Shoes

Super Anarchist
A to Z
Well. . .whether or not Hot Rod and/or the Flyin' Hawaiian are actually done, can we all just agree that at least this thread still needs to go on? After obsessively checking in on it daily, nay hourly, for lo these many years, it's truely become like one of the family. C'mon, you know it's true. We don't really need Rod at all in order to wax eloquent about motorcycles, rutters, plywood grades, questionable legal and psychological advice. . .

Besides. . . .WHERE'S LIL'MURRAY?!?! No closure until we actually locate the body! Gone maybe, but not forgotten, lil' buddy.
I believe lil'murray's disappearance is tied to the pie warmer mystery.

Last edited by a moderator:

HR'FH

loch lomond
Funny how sa quotes ij to b seen on a google ser.

I said that to the paradise post,ij quotes them .all on my back. My words.

My life. My loss .ur third hand me. .i was inspired! That over now.

Not my first front page!

Say what u like.

It was.me and my story,that u found so interesting

I couldn't stop u from stalking ,gaucking,gossiping.trashing,bashing,lying .i tryed . I threaten .i posted!! Now im one of u .a third hand loser. I bit the hook.

HR'FH

loch lomond
U can b my new guides.i can hardly wait for the serene life,helping others with all the extra money generated.traveling ,u know enjoying the good life ur directions will bring.

It was.me and my story,that u found so interesting
^^^That's what hooked me, HR. Honestly. Some dude and his son out in SoCal chasing the dream, going all-in building a giant cat from scratch.

Hate to see you guys throw in the towel. What's up Dock Rat? He jump ship or what??? If you've decided to scrap the trip, it's time to liquidate inventory bro... sails, electronics, etc... Do you still have the bike? Where's FH'jr? Time to part with something. Take stock of where you are and what's available to you- very rarely are we left with absolutely no outs.

Good Luck Rod.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
U can b my new guides.i can hardly wait for the serene life,helping others with all the extra money generated.traveling ,u know enjoying the good life ur directions will bring.
If you'd paid a bit of attention to all the knowledgeable advice (directions) given to you in the past by the members here you might not have ended up in your current situation.

Of course that's their fault too isn't it?

Latest posts