65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

kippermoose

UK
I've followed this thread for the fat end of a year now and am amazed at the benign and lazy weather of SF Bay. You don't seem to have had a breeze over 12Kts since Easter.

When does the winter weather pick up, and what does it do in Richardson's bay?

Anyone wanna paint a picture for us schadenfreuders on the other side of the pond?

Poor ol' Raccoon. He must be getting hungry...

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
I've followed this thread for the fat end of a year now and am amazed at the benign and lazy weather of SF Bay. You don't seem to have had a breeze over 12Kts since Easter.

When does the winter weather pick up, and what does it do in Richardson's bay?

Anyone wanna paint a picture for us schadenfreuders on the other side of the pond?

Poor ol' Raccoon. He must be getting hungry...
This is a historic year regarding rain - as for wind we have had several pressure systems blow through generating 60-70mph winds in the hills even at my home in a very small protected valley we got 50mph winds twice in the past month however zero rain. Last winter we had several storms blow through by this point many of which put boats up on the beach I think we may have even lost a person in Richardson Bay who was trying to chase down loose boats during one of the storms.

This year is an exception beyond any historical data the last time we had so little weather was 1976 and by all accounts this one is far worse regarding the lack of weather. The jetstream has been going Around CA in a big S so far when typically it moves up and down the west coast running storms out of Alaska right through CA with occasional tropical systems and Alaska systems meeting up over CA. This winter so far we have just watched all weather systems go right around us to the north.

Sand crab

Montana
Driest year on record in most of Cali means everything is all fucked up. There should be major storms now and there ain't. Last month, too. Dry means really abnormally calm balmy weather and that will continue until it changes and there is no change in sight.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
As I pointed out earlier if the current weather trend in CA continues all the Lake sailors in CA will need to take up ATV lake bed hobbies given all our lakes will be either dry or mud pits. I was a kid in 76 and my parents bought a ski boat in 74 which we used a bunch on CA lakes - in 76 most of the lakes were either dry or not accessible. The closest lake to our home is one of the largest Man Made lakes in CA and the only ramp open in the summer of 76 was a floating dock ramp which you backed out on and the last section of the ramp would sink you float the boat off bingo you were in business - it was always fun watching people back off the end of the ramp and the marina had to use a logging winch on a big old piece of logging equipment to basically rip the trailer and tow car back up onto the floating wood ramp. The water level I recall was nearly a 1/4 mile from the original boat ramp!

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I spent the summer of '76 in Cali and remember the drought conditions well. Shasta was so far down that the docks were sitting hundreds of yards from the water. Tahoe was fine but it's a special case.

If this year is worse than then, you are really fucked for drinking water next summer.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
I spent the summer of '76 in Cali and remember the drought conditions well. Shasta was so far down that the docks were sitting hundreds of yards from the water. Tahoe was fine but it's a special case.

If this year is worse than then, you are really fucked for drinking water next summer.
YES we are

casc27

Super Anarchist

YES we are
Drinking water will be fine. Water for lawns, laundry, showers and flushing, not so much...

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I'm already warning the kids that the big baths and long showers are likely to stop soon. of course, something like 70% of the water goes to ag and industry use, and the farmers are gonna be bitching a storm this summer.

in DAGO with the great minds in office that we have

the prudent thing to do when you notice No Rain in the areas our water comes from = WASTE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN !!!

As they do rationing by making everyone use a % (like 50%) of the past years use

So if you (like me) use as little as possible you have NO Room to cut back = VIOLATION

And someone with 20 sprinklers running into the street cuts back to only 10 sprinklers = they are GOLD

AND they keep approving additional Housing by the thousands each year

Where are they going to get the water for those people ???

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
I'm already warning the kids that the big baths and long showers are likely to stop soon. of course, something like 70% of the water goes to ag and industry use, and the farmers are gonna be bitching a storm this summer.
My hope is that this drought we face will shed some much needed light on the water tunnel project that Brown is trying to fly under the radar and sneak past CA voters. The largest land owner in the Southern end of the Valley is a married couple who live in LA they bought it up cheap when there was no water to farm it with - created their own water district / company to gain water rights then started farming the land to increase its value- now they are in the back pocket of Brown in Sacramento trying to get tax payers to fund a water project so they can increase their land value even more and sell it off for massive profits thanks to tax payers funding water reallocation from the Sacramento watershed to the southern Desert end of the state.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Yeah, Brown and his tunnel (let alone the damn train to nowhere) is tarnishing his legacy.

I was wondering back at Turkey Day time how the south end was barren just a few years ago, and now is being farmed again, on where the water came from.

and some of those spots weren't just irrigated, there is so much water that there is standing water over large acreage. In the desert.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
oh, and restaurants have started the "only serve water when asked" routine.

One bright spot, I don't have to worry about what the neighbors think of the dead grass in my front yard. They will all have dead grass.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
in DAGO with the great minds in office that we have

the prudent thing to do when you notice No Rain in the areas our water comes from = WASTE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN !!!

As they do rationing by making everyone use a % (like 50%) of the past years use

So if you (like me) use as little as possible you have NO Room to cut back = VIOLATION

And someone with 20 sprinklers running into the street cuts back to only 10 sprinklers = they are GOLD

AND they keep approving additional Housing by the thousands each year

Where are they going to get the water for those people ???
House around the corner was sold late this summer - sprinklers were cranked up to stupid lengths of time to make the yard look good during the sell effort. Today every morning I walk our dog past the house where there is a strong flow of water running past not kidding 10 houses and down the storm gutter all from this home sold this summer. The yard is so soaked that water continues to come out of the lawn for pretty much the entire fucking day!!! I've knocked on their door pretty much all times of the day and evening since September about 5 different attempts to tell them that they need to turn down their water. Hell my yard is 8 times larger than theirs and I shut our water off to the yard back in October and the longest sprinkler run time for a line was 7 minutes the shortest was 3 minutes total time for 10 lines is about an hour or less depending given I adjust the times per whats going on in the yard. I bet his front yard water use is more than both my front and back yards combined. In cases like this WATER IS TOO CHEAP!

One Leaky toilet in San Francisco turned our two unit two bath two kitchen sink building from a $300 a month water bill to a $900 water bill in one billing cycle! You bet we tracked down the problem and fixed it!

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
The sis-in-law lives in Irvine in a development on old strawberry fields. The development was able to keep the ag water rights. Water is basically "free". You can't walk in the back yard as you sink into the mud under the grass.

In Irvine.

I'd say I wouldn't bitch about the water diverted to Los Angeles and the South except for the absolute waste.

Our water bill just south of SF but on Hetch Hetchy water is about 10x their water bill.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

YES we are
Drinking water will be fine. Water for lawns, laundry, showers and flushing, not so much...

My experience is that tap water in Cali is not fit to drink at the best of times - of course I'm spoiled here - they bottle our tap water and sell it to you.

I remember the signs in '76 - "If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down".

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
My hope is that this drought we face will shed some much needed light on the water tunnel project that Brown is trying to fly under the radar and sneak past CA voters. The largest land owner in the Southern end of the Valley is a married couple who live in LA they bought it up cheap when there was no water to farm it with - created their own water district / company to gain water rights then started farming the land to increase its value- now they are in the back pocket of Brown in Sacramento trying to get tax payers to fund a water project so they can increase their land value even more and sell it off for massive profits thanks to tax payers funding water reallocation from the Sacramento watershed to the southern Desert end of the state.
Chinatown - deja vu.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist

YES we are

My experience is that tap water in Cali is not fit to drink at the best of times - of course I'm spoiled here - they bottle our tap water and sell it to you.

I remember the signs in '76 - "If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down".
Funny enough I worked in the North Bay Regional Water plant for over 6yrs - in the LAB. CA water if its proper city water is about as good as anyplace else hell even Budwizer re bottled our water in little cans and sells it in 6-12 and 24 packs. For kicks we tested bottled water which by the way DOES not need to meet GOV water standards!!!! - Some of the stuff we found in the water was pretty disgusting. I recall us testing one three times because we couldn't believe what we were finding Rat Turds!!!

It's not about the source so much as how the water is processed - our plant uses brackish water from the delta what comes out the other end to the city is water that you would need to distill to get it any cleaner and far surpassed the GOV standard.

What is scary are the private wells we tested and were told people were drinking out of and cooking with, private well water is some scary ass stuff and the crazy part is many of the well owners didn't care that they were drinking water that would if found in city systems would involve a city wide water system shut down and massive GOV investigation.

Last edited by a moderator: