65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Caca Cabeza

Super Anarchist
COPYCAT!

http://www.theplaidzebra.com/off-the-coast-of-mexico-this-man-built-a-private-island-made-of-150000-recycled-water-bottles/

Or, maybe HR was the copycat. This dude built a floating "island" near cancun out of plastic bottles for buoyancy, bamboo and plywood for the base structure (? sound familiar ?) covered with wood pellets and sand. His 1st attempt broke up in a storm in 2005, so he sought out a master carpenter (sound familiar?).

Was on the local news tonight.

They also said he plans to travel around the world floating and being driven by the wind. What could possibly go wrong with that; well, HR proved what could go wrong.

Maybe this guy will breath some life back into this thread.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Have youse guys heard about your hidden Facebook messages?

Earlier today I read about "filtered requests".

I looked there and found this!

Chat Conversation Start
You and Steve Sue Lee aren't connected on Facebook
Retired
03/26/2015 2:49pm

"Not sure about the captain of the ship or what became of him. I know he

refused to let them call for help.

His mother and girlfriend were aboard also.

A barge from Ecuador picked up the distress signal. And called coast guard.

My daughter and his 70 year old mother were flown via helicopter jet to Monterey

hospital. Daughter came to my house by taxi after released with literally the wet

clothes on her back

Baby born last Friday all is good.

Our community have blessed them dearly.

our grandson and daughter doing fine.

Thanks for asking"

So we know who was aboard: HotRod, Mom, HR's girlfriend, the tranny and the pregnant concubine.

And we know the fate of everyone but Hot Rod, who seems to have slipped into anonymity.

I thought the US freedom of information thing made it mandatory for gumment agencies to provide detail if they have it. I have successfully (as an "alien") requested and obtained info on a yachting rescue from the USCG and got it chapter and verse.

The FH can offer no National Security excuse to hide behind so how can the USCG fail to respond on info they clearly have?

Has anyone come across this reluctance to provide info before? I'd have thought it rather unusual or am I just out of touch with US gumment policy enactment these days?

Please Rize off ARSE + "show" us that you know how to do it B)

Somebody Else

PNW
And we know the fate of everyone but Hot Rod, who seems to have slipped into anonymity.

O/K smart guy - what happened to Li'l Murray? :p :D
Not on board. unless he was ground up and added to concrete to be used as ballast.

The gal on the left is the mom of prego, I think.

steve_sue_lee_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

aloha27

Super Anarchist

Somebody Else

PNW
"What became of Hot Rod?"

The last of the mysteries! I would love an interview.

I can imagine what he went through in those final hours on the Flyin' Hawaiian.

Structural failures happening rapid-fire as soon as any sea kicked up. Steering broken. Hot Rod was a problem solver (not a very good one, but let's drop that for now) and seeing the problems grow to catastrophic proportions faster than he can tackle them probably led to a realization that what his critics were trying to tell him -- the boat was not designed or built correctly -- was most likely true. If only the boat would stop jolting around and he could just get more time to fix the failures! But Home Depot was back ashore and he was out at sea.

Being a "doer" -- a fixer -- I can see where our scared and ignorant protagonist would have refused to summon rescue. The last time the CG came to his aid, more damage was done to his yacht and his critics chorused "We were trying to tell you this would be a problem!" which he heard as "I told you so!" which he has probably heard a lot in his life. As his boat sank, so did his dreams which were already eroded down a shadow of his original plan for the life of ease.

The sinking of Flyin' Hawaiian and the rescue of all on board must have hit Hot Rod like a cold wet slap in the face. His mother, for goodness sake, had to be airlifted to a hospital! Ditto a pregnant woman whose safekeeping was his responsibility as ship's captain. As he was being hoisted into the rescue helicopter, the realization of the fractal nature of his mistake must have hit him full force -- just plain wrong at every level of resolution.

Is it any wonder he chose to just disappear? Why would he subject himself to more kicking while he's already down? No more money, no home, maybe no transportation, harming his mom. I'm thinking basic survival and healing his psychic wounds are taking up 100% of his time for the next few years.

I'd still like that concluding interview.

Raked Aft\\

Super Anarchist
The North Coast
^ Perfect opening paragraph to the book!

Start writing sir...

[second paragraph]

As a boy, HR marveled at ten's of thousands of boat designs, his dreams of the future began...

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Is it any wonder he chose to just disappear? Why would he subject himself to more kicking while he's already down? No more money, no home, maybe no transportation, harming his mom. I'm thinking basic survival and healing his psychic wounds are taking up 100% of his time for the next few years.
I think he just can't afford a computer or Internet service.

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
HR, looking to the heavens for relief notices the beauty, grace and implied freedom of the numerous aircraft flying overhead.

Being a born doer he understands the need of a fresh project...

Chat Conversation Start

Retired

My daughter and his 70 year old mother were flown via helicopter jet to Monterey

hospital. Daughter came to my house by taxi after released with literally the wet

clothes on her back

Thanks for asking"

So we know who was aboard: HotRod, Mom, HR's girlfriend, the tranny and the pregnant concubine.

This FB stuff is in the thread

woolly

The Fold.
Flyin’ Hawaiian, a 65-foot, 32-foot-wide home-built catamaran made of plywood and 2-by-4s, started taking on water Jan. 31, 120 miles off Monterey, California. James “Hot Rod” Lane and his 28-year-old son, Michael Johnson, built it in a marina parking lot in San Rafael, the elder Long saying his dream was to use it to enjoy “the freedom and the lifestyle” and cruise to Mexico, Hawaii, Samoa and New Zealand. Started in 2010 and launched in 2013, the 3,200-square-foot cat had nine cabins, three heads and two galleys. The vessel and its builders drew a lot of catcalls, but also grudging admiration from many who saw the project come together as one man’s dream boat.

Flyin’ Hawaiian was carrying five people when one of them activated a personal locator beacon. Two Coast Guard helicopters removed the crew from the sinking vessel while a cargo ship stood by to block the wind and waves. Flyin’ Hawaiian was abandoned and left to go to the bottom.
Courtesy CG, via Captain Bligh

Somebody Else

PNW

Chat Conversation Start

Retired

clothes on her back

Thanks for asking"

This FB stuff is in the thread
From the horse's mouth?

If so, forgive the double post; it's been a while...

Latest posts