65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I know what the ultimate outcome will be on this but I find myself hoping old HR will make it. It reminds me of that scene in the Deer Hunter. I hope he makes it to Hawaii. Or, at least I hope he and whoever goes with him does not die....
I was outside the gate last Friday. no fucking way is that thing making it to Hawaii. the Delta however, is within his grasp.

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist
structural conditions???????
Sorry for the momentary lapse from nautical vocabulary. I have a report coming with photos on the Flyin's scantlings.
no worries. Actually I thought it was really funny. I mean we all know it has issues but that wording was perfect. Can't wait for the report. Great stuff and thanks for being our "at the scene" guy.

bluenosejr

With the pedestals placed where they are, even if the rudders work, it will be a first class bitch to steer.
The reason that it will be a bitch to steer has nothing to do with the placement of the pedestals. If you stand to the outboard side of either pedestal, you should have a view from forward to aft on that side. If you want to know whats coming from the other side, just run across to the other pedestal. He won't need the weight room, just running back and forth between the pedestals will provide ample exercise.

redviking

Anarchist
Go dude, go! Get a two way AIS and just set the hydraulic AP's... Point and shoot with a good weather window. Put a few fuel bladders on her and motor at 6 until you hit the trades.

RumLine

Anarchist
Western LIS
With the pedestals placed where they are, even if the rudders work, it will be a first class bitch to steer.
The reason that it will be a bitch to steer has nothing to do with the placement of the pedestals. If you stand to the outboard side of either pedestal, you should have a view from forward to aft on that side. If you want to know whats coming from the other side, just run across to the other pedestal. He won't need the weight room, just running back and forth between the pedestals will provide ample exercise.
If he installs a few of these security cameras on either side and mounts 22" flat screens by either pedestal he should be ok

http://www.harborfreight.com/general-merch/security/weatherproof-color-security-camera-with-night-vision-95914.html

I have to admit, I hated on this project since I saw it, but I'm quite impressed that it's afloat. I'm not convinced its safe to go outside of a protected anchorage, but maybe he'll prove us all wrong.

mikewof

mikewof
so originally I thought the deciding blow would be twisting but now I am wondering how long till one whole sheet of ply pops into the hull.
Seems unlikely, your first concern about the torsion still seems like a bigger concern, plywood has a decent shear strength, between 2000 and 3000 lbs. depending on orientation, It should hold with a directional stress like that. But the torsion applies the stress to a few "hot points" which is when connections fail with huge panels like that ... thus the age-worn wisdom of using relatively narrow planks of length, you spread out torsional stress to many connections and allow them to move laterally before sealing again rather than pop at the edges.

Fiberglass, CF and steel have this quality in spades ... they're close to amorphous so torsional stress is distributed to an effectively infinite number of points. In a sense, Hot Rod's unit cell size is measured up to 4 x 8 FEET! With a unit cell of that size you need some insanely strong intercell connection, which is a function of the perimeter to area ratio.

For instance look at the ratio with a 2 inch x 2 foot plank ... area = 2 x 24 = 48, perimeter = 24+24+2+2=52, ratio 1.08. Not too bad for typical monohull torsion.

Now some fiberglass cloth, mesh size 2.8 mm, presuming excellent cloth layover ... perimeter 0.0112, area 7.84 x 10^-6, so ratio is over 1420. Excellent torsional strength.

Now a single 4 x 8 plywood sheet: 288/4608= 0.06 !!! Not such great torsional strength along cell edge.

pbd

Super Anarchist
Ca
Fuck me dead, he did it.

I've been watching this train wreck for what seems like forever and never thought it would end with the boat in the water in one piece.

Good on you Hot Rod.

Lilmurry, thanks for all the updates.

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist
so originally I thought the deciding blow would be twisting but now I am wondering how long till one whole sheet of ply pops into the hull.
Seems unlikely, your first concern about the torsion still seems like a bigger concern, plywood has a decent shear strength, between 2000 and 3000 lbs. depending on orientation, It should hold with a directional stress like that. But the torsion applies the stress to a few "hot points" which is when connections fail with huge panels like that ... thus the age-worn wisdom of using relatively narrow planks of length, you spread out torsional stress to many connections and allow them to move laterally before sealing again rather than pop at the edges.

Fiberglass, CF and steel have this quality in spades ... they're close to amorphous so torsional stress is distributed to an effectively infinite number of points. In a sense, Hot Rod's unit cell size is measured up to 4 x 8 FEET! With a unit cell of that size you need some insanely strong intercell connection, which is a function of the perimeter to area ratio.

For instance look at the ratio with a 2 inch x 2 foot plank ... area = 2 x 24 = 48, perimeter = 24+24+2+2=52, ratio 1.08. Not too bad for typical monohull torsion.

Now some fiberglass cloth, mesh size 2.8 mm, presuming excellent cloth layover ... perimeter 0.0112, area 7.84 x 10^-6, so ratio is over 1420. Excellent torsional strength.

Now a single 4 x 8 plywood sheet: 288/4608= 0.06 !!! Not such great torsional strength along cell edge.
yeah but didn't he just screw them to 2x4 posts at the edges? Looking at the bend under the bridge deck I am wondering if that will hold. I have this vision in my head of one of those sheets just giving up and popping into the hull.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge

yeah but didn't he just screw them to 2x4 posts at the edges? Looking at the bend under the bridge deck I am wondering if that will hold. I have this vision in my head of one of those sheets just giving up and popping into the hull.
In some of the high-contrast night launch photos, you can see the outlines of the panels. It looks like at least some of the joints are "taped" with about 4" wide (fiberglass?) material. Just like the first pass on a drywall job.

Dirc

sailinganarchy.com should have paid teh good ol hotrod to do this years ago :p

you'd have 10x more userbase etc etc, all for only 10k$ + many boxes o' screws :rolleyes:

PS, most excellent thread & reporting