65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

bluenosejr

Like the stock market, Hot Rod has climbed a wall of worry. He has made it much farther then most thought and he is still at it, while many here have quietly shifted their "obviously he'll never" point a few steps.

As it stands there are a few observable features that one could assume apply to the parts we can't see.

• It's built more like a house than a boat.
  • The fixes have all been the bare minimum to patch the immediate problem.
  • All the parts we can see look under-built. Specifically rudders, steering and chainplates.
You forgot t add the hulls and rig to your list of under built stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikewof

mikewof
I don't recall one person who was 100% convinced Reid Stowe would successfully circumnavigate the world in his ferro-tub.

But he did and no one got hurt. I am no fan of RS but he has sailed (well, drifted) around the world and I haven't.

Let's not underestimate creativity and determination.

That said, this boat is so seriously flawed in so many ways, I can't see it holding together for long.

The entertainment value of this thread is priceless!
Reid and HR are as opposite as can be, other than both being outside the sailing community. Reid's boat was overbuilt because he had sailed a good chunk of his life and knew what was needed.
My boat was docked in front of his and.during storms my boat and even the big Beni were tossed around like three dollar hookers, while his boat was almost as motionless as the Frying Pan lightship. The two boats of mildly comparable size that I had sailed on back then were his boat and The Pioneer at South Street which was obviously a beautiful boat. Reid's boat was horrifically stable even compared to The Pioneer, it had some disfigured handmade hull that seemed to generate its own suction. That wasn't a fast boat, but it was nothing if not a sturdy boat.

Hot Rod's thing is the opposite ... It's a butterfly that has been given the task of playing in a washing machine. There is a tremendous safety problem with that construction but he can potentially solve the problem if he is open to doing so.

If he can set up an Indiegogo site he can potentially trade advertising on the boat for about the $250k that would be needed to shore up the weak spots in his design.

tommays

Super Anarchist
Northport
I got money that says it will never survive the stress of the first haul out IF it lives long enough to need a second coat of bottom paint

BUT we do have plenty of boats here that NEVER EVER move out of the slip for like a decade OR get floated in once a year

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
We keep comparing the boat to the design brief, of sail off to Polynesia. I think it's obvious that it won't make that. But it could make it to the Delta and be a side tie up some slough someplace. Whether that is an improvement to living in a trailer house in Napa is a call for the Hot Rod and Mom.

bluenosejr

Thanks for all of the kind words everybody. I have a busy day with other things today, but I will make a post tonight with photos dealing with some of the structural conditions on the Flyin Hawaiian.
I, for one would, like to hear from lilmurray about his opinion on the structural integrity of the hull. As always lilmurray has been an excellent source of first hand information on the project.

Lilmurray: Thanks for your posts to date on this project.

MaxHeadroom

Super Anarchist
Like the stock market, Hot Rod has climbed a wall of worry. He has made it much farther then most thought and he is still at it, while many here have quietly shifted their "obviously he'll never" point a few steps.
That's a pretty smug attitude for you to take.

I am not the most vocal here, but I have made no attempt to hide my opinions that he would never be able to move Flyin' Hawaiian to the ramp without it collapsing on itself. I have shifted my point of failure a few steps but there was never an "obviously" anything. I freely admit to being wrong about it being moved without breaking apart.

What HotRod has demonstrated repeatedly is that he is quick on his feet, assessing a problem and addressing it and eventually that may result in some sort of seaworthy craft. At that time I expect the Flyin' Hawaiian to be more repair than original structure. That is a very common development path for grass-roots, start-with-nothing design -n- build build -n- design..

As it stands there are a few observable features that one could assume apply to the parts we can't see.

• All the parts we can see look under-built. Specifically rudders, steering and chainplates.
Fixed it for ya....

Boston1

Super Anarchist
BF colorado
One can only imagine the mad scramble that must be underway. I gotta wonder, if those shacks were all catty wompus in the mud, was this thing also resting in the mud at the time some of those picts were taken ? If just on the other side of the dock its dry, seems likely ole Flyin might have been aground and maybe thats why its showing that twist.

Anyway someone really should be thinking of making a comedy movie out of this, and start seriously filming this thing. Nothing beats real footage and someday this might just end up another Capt, Ron movie, although I'm not sure it wouldn't be more a cross between the Beverly Hill Billy's and the Titanic

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Here's a question.

If we giv rod the benefit of the doubt and assume that this thing was built basically to the standards of a house, How many normal houses are now floating around in the pacific guyre from Japan?? How many made it to the cali beaches?? Up's the odds a bit that a piece of that thing might make it.... Sans The Rod??

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Has anyone heard how the Korean shed is holding up?
Shed of Doom is still standing. Over 3M hits to the site. I wonder how many hits the Flyin Hawayin has had.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/146566-Build-to-Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even...../page74?s=2cecb9ee1f5b1680fe37bfaf5866e8a3
Had a look. You know, that thing is pretty high-class compared to some of the shacks that my Dad threw up on the farm over the years. Most of his materials literally scavenged from other people's trash heaps. The only fastener in his inventory was 16 p nails. And if he HAD to buy hardware, it was always a ludicrous mis-match. Like, hinges made for cabinetry used to hold up a barn door.

A few of those shacks are still standing, decades later. It's a surprisingly stochastic process. Some of them take big snow loads, over and over. Then one day, they just flatten out for no apparent reason.

By comparison, Hot Rod's engineering is high-tech indeed.

What sound do think the F-H shall make

EVERY Boat makes sounds

me YACHT sounds like a drum each and every time it pounds a wake or swell

like MSP over in AC-A it always sounds the same

OK Not always but when the sound changes (like a less tight drum)

I know I broke something = split the FG or whatever

over this past weekend as others were out playing

I was Glassing up the parts I beat the shit out of the past couple years

me YACHT is but 1 1/2 sheets of plywood long

yet it's 3/8 thick of hand laid FG at it's thinnest and glassed over Foam 2' at the thinnest (the roof)

That's Glassed In & Out Like a Boston Whaler from Allice in Wonderland (but from SeaWorld)

OK No Foam on the floor/hull as it needs to be fixed from time to time (Oh Boy do I have stories)

I am always Amazed at what gets Stressed to Fail on such a Small Sturdy Shape (and then I fix it)

ANY WAY I know the Sound of me YACHT when things are right

When I'v been up close to a fleet of IACC Yachts racing (91 & 94 WORLDS - remember those) in DAGO

It Was the Most BEAUTIFUL MUSIC I have Ever heard = EACH a Multi Million $$$$ Violin

It was Sooo Loud and each sounded different as the Sheets & Loads Played a Tune

And who has not heard the Moans of a TallShip as All So Many Pieces are All Forced to Stay Togeather

I'm thinkin H-R's ride is pretty Quiet as all parts are Free to Move About on there own :eek:

semelis

Anarchist
Here's a question.

If we giv rod the benefit of the doubt and assume that this thing was built basically to the standards of a house, How many normal houses are now floating around in the pacific guyre from Japan?? How many made it to the cali beaches?? Up's the odds a bit that a piece of that thing might make it.... Sans The Rod??
Normal houses from japan are build to endure earth-quakes.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Just take the first and last sentences and put them together, ignore the rest.

That usually gives you the gyst.... B)

mikewof

mikewof
Has anyone heard how the Korean shed is holding up?
Shed of Doom is still standing. Over 3M hits to the site. I wonder how many hits the Flyin Hawayin has had.
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/146566-Build-to-Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even...../page74
Had a look. You know, that thing is pretty high-class compared to some of the shacks that my Dad threw up on the farm over the years. Most of his materials literally scavenged from other people's trash heaps. The only fastener in his inventory was 16 p nails. And if he HAD to buy hardware, it was always a ludicrous mis-match. Like, hinges made for cabinetry used to hold up a barn door.
A few of those shacks are still standing, decades later. It's a surprisingly stochastic process. Some of them take big snow loads, over and over. Then one day, they just flatten out for no apparent reason.

By comparison, Hot Rod's engineering is high-tech indeed.
Air has a thousandth of the mass density of water. It permits all kinds of deficiencies and delicacies that water won't.

You forgot t add the hulls and rig to your list of under built stuff.
How about propulsion, is that important? Meanwhile, HR spent most of yesterday calmly washing the structure, without a care in the world, just like washing your car on a Saurday morning.

We keep comparing the boat to the design brief, of sail off to Polynesia. I think it's obvious that it won't make that. But it could make it to the Delta and be a side tie up some slough someplace. Whether that is an improvement to living in a trailer house in Napa is a call for the Hot Rod and Mom.
I drove through the Delta today. It was really windy and choppy -- no safe place for the Flyin Hawaiian or the Flexin Mexican

Latest posts