70' Cruising Proa....Big Red Yacht

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
Russ (and anyone else who cares to do so), bring on the harryproa comments.
I'd rather you went away. I don't see the benefit to you of an ongoing public, lie-strewn war and it's embarrassing to me. Without you, Rob I wouldn't get the hairy eyeball on these forums. I'm not selling proas and I don't lie. I'm also generally helpful on the forums and I see them as a great tool. You see them as a way to conquer the world with proas. Everything that you post, whether its about your boats or mine is meant to drive sales of plans of your boats. Or maybe its just some weird vindictive urge you have.

My one page of thoughts on Harryproas should be posted somewhere else. I just don't know where.

harryproa

Anarchist
Dan,

We designed a 16'ter and licensed construction to a German builder in China.  I built a prototype first and it worked ok,

harryproa

Anarchist
Did Andrew Rogers finish the build of the E25 and what has happened to it if he did?
No idea, last I heard he was busy with a 60' cat.  The E25 is for him and his kid to sail, so it is not high priority, nor is he likely to sell it.  If he did, you would be #3 (that I know of) on the waiting list.  

If you want a project boat, I have to sell my Elementarry http://harryproa.com/?p=1753  by the middle of the year, prior to taking 3 years off to demonstrate the cargo proa through the Pacific.  Needs a paint job, rudders and rigs, and a new arm on the trailer.  Foam/carbon hulls, telescoping beams, una or schooner (or kite) rig.  

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
The proa is not as fast as the AC boat. Its sail trim is suspect too.

More seriously why is it reefed so much? It does not appear to be very windy.

harryproa

Anarchist
The proa is not as fast as the AC boat. Its sail trim is suspect too.

More seriously why is it reefed so much? It does not appear to be very windy.
That is the (in)famous Aroha that (used to I suspect, given recent events) be raised every time I posted about Harrys.  The 12m Harryproa that broke a ring frame while sailing overloaded in a gale across the Tasman 15 years ago, but still completed the journey.  

It was then used as a day sailor for several years until the original owner died and last year was bought as a fixer upper.  Looks like that is now done.  I have emailed the owners for an update.  

Definitely not a match for the AC boats, but a great comparison of speed and size.    Looking at the white caps and the sheltered conditions, the wind would be 20 odd knots.  Not enough for a reef usually, but it is probably one of his first sails since the refit, so caution is required.  Or, maybe he had issues as it is sailing under a single sail at 11.43.

r.finn

Super Anarchist
By coincidence, this just popped up on my FB feed:

Screenshot_20210213-094140.png

KONeill

You'd have to pay me that much to take it off your hands, and I'd haul it straight to the dump.  Nothing but a list of headaches, several owners unhappy with it.
If that's all you can think of to do with all those parts I'm sad for you.

Look, if it's way overweight I'd just walk away. If there's a bunch of water in the core or any serious damage, walk away. Aside from that? He's asking $20k US, probably take, what? $15k? Come on.

I'd no doubt fiddle with it a bit. I've been fiddling with proa design for twenty years, I couldn't stop myself. I don't really like wheel steering, and I like the flipping rudders I have on my proa a lot. I'd put a pair of those on it with tillers and get rid of the wheels. Maybe a leeboard on the windward hull? Who knows. Have to sail it a bit to see.

But as a basic platform for not much money, come on. That's an amazing amount of boat there. From the HP web site the build looks like it was a decent setup.

I realize it's not your kind of boat, but man. As a cheap light cruiser, I'd snap that up. Then I'd probably be in Sidecar's DMs asking for details on what he did with his boat, kind of a similar configuration and it looks like it works pretty good :)

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
If that's all you can think of to do with all those parts I'm sad for you.

Look, if it's way overweight I'd just walk away. If there's a bunch of water in the core or any serious damage, walk away. Aside from that? He's asking $20k US, probably take, what? $15k? Come on.

I'd no doubt fiddle with it a bit. I've been fiddling with proa design for twenty years, I couldn't stop myself. I don't really like wheel steering, and I like the flipping rudders I have on my proa a lot. I'd put a pair of those on it with tillers and get rid of the wheels. Maybe a leeboard on the windward hull? Who knows. Have to sail it a bit to see.

But as a basic platform for not much money, come on. That's an amazing amount of boat there. From the HP web site the build looks like it was a decent setup.

I realize it's not your kind of boat, but man. As a cheap light cruiser, I'd snap that up. Then I'd probably be in Sidecar's DMs asking for details on what he did with his boat, kind of a similar configuration and it looks like it works pretty good :)
It saddens me that you consider this worth your money and effort.   But talk is cheap.
It is not at all "a similar configuration" to Sidecar, which is a Pacific proa.

Look at the videos as I did before making my comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROXdDKJbqkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXSGfd2J9Q8

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoBirds

Gulf Islands
I dunno, I can see the appeal but it sounds like a few owners have tried just what you describe and have given up after spending time and money on it, I really think the only way you'd ever make a harryproa work really well is to put a second mast on the windward hull and make it a biplane schooner, or run backstays out to the ama and use sidecar's or Robert Biegler's staysails.

KONeill

It saddens me that you consider this worth your money and effort.   It is not at all "a similar configuration" to Sidecar, which is a Pacific proa.

Look at the videos as I did before making my comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROXdDKJbqkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXSGfd2J9Q8
Oh wait, Sidecar's not WTW, is it? Never mind.

I've seen the videos. It's someone sailing the boat the wrong way round, and getting there fine anyway. I don't think they're making the point you think they are.

A WTW proa doesn't seem like a doomed idea to me; it's just an Atlantic with the rig moved over. Newick made an Atlantic work, I think it's certainly possible to make a WTW proa with the rig on the lee hull work. You probably don't, we're not going to settle it here. And I'm not going to buy the boat, it's too far away. I was just shocked at the price.

Anyway, I'm done going on about it. Have a nice weekend, what's left of it.

KONeill

I dunno, I can see the appeal but it sounds like a few owners have tried just what you describe and have given up after spending time and money on it, I really think the only way you'd ever make a harryproa work really well is to put a second mast on the windward hull and make it a biplane schooner, or run backstays out to the ama and use sidecar's or Robert Biegler's staysails.
I don't think either of those is necessary. I might consider a windward stay if the mast top is really flexing off; that's what my boat was doing. I had masts that were strong enough to not break but were way too flexible. I put a windward stay on them and it transformed the boat. But you can still let the boom go all the way forward if you're running downwind, so the safety aspect isn't affected.

I have no idea how much time or effort people have put into it, I'm just looking at it and thinking that it's not that radical a concept. It's like an Atlantic proa with the rig moved. There's no reason it can't work. Maybe the rudders are not great, I don't know. Maybe it doesn't have enough lateral surface in the water to go to windward well. Maybe the forestay sags, one balestron owner told me that he had a hell of a time with forestay tension.

You can fix all that stuff if you like fiddling with things and you don't give up. If it's not too heavy and it's not waterlogged I'd love it as a project.

But it's half a world away and I'm supposed to be grading :)