70' Cruising Proa....Big Red Yacht

harryproa

Anarchist
Kleen Breeze was involved in a collision off Tenerife     https://twitter.com/salvamentogob/status/1489913572763258880

Collision ship MSC Romane and sailboat Kleen Breeze that remains with leak (see below) 72 miles #LaGraciosa
Our #Tenerife center mobilizes Helimer 215 and Guardamar Calliope, whose intervention in the end is not necessary.
MSC Romane communicates: safe and sound on board the 3 sailboat crew.
MSC Romane is a large container ship now off the coast of Africa bound to the UK.
 #LaGraciosa is an island off Lanzarote.
72 miles off shore
overhead shot of KB 
No obvious sign of a leak.

_._,_._,_
From the owner:

Hey Rob, just made landfall in Arrecife Las Canarias early this AM. Needed to let you know that Kleen Breeze was struck directly by a 300 meter container ship enroute and had to be towed the last 78 nm. Damage is serious but she proved to be remarkably tough as we still have found no evidence of taking on water beyond the very small sealed foam filled caps on tthe ends of the hulls. One mast shattered about 10 meters up and a rudder was ripped from it´s place but otherwise she seems to have only suffered cosmetic damage. I am overwhelmingly impressed with the toughness of the hulls and beams 

A You Tube interview on Harryproas generally at 

Happy

Super Anarchist
Tropical Oz
The original owner sold for around $78K. Subsequent sales have been AFAIK around the $40K mark.

A mate who's living on a nearby mooring went on board recently. Apparently all the newly-added "stuff" has left the outrigger about 300-400mm below the marked waterline.

Solarbri

Wyoming
The original owner sold for around $78K. Subsequent sales have been AFAIK around the $40K mark.

A mate who's living on a nearby mooring went on board recently. Apparently all the newly-added "stuff" has left the outrigger about 300-400mm below the marked waterline.
Hmmmm. Who’da thunk it?

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
And the shit show continuous

Like I'd cruise the world in that..... I'd do it on XL2 before that.... and he wanted $500k....sheeeez

proa.jpg

Last edited:
As of June 14, Gaia's Dream is in the mooring field in front of Airlie Beach. I was surprised to see her here after all of that, but maybe I shouldn't be? I couldn't believe it when I first spotted her, after all one of the only reasons I'm still in Australia is to look at proas, because I hadn't expected to see one until I go to see Sidecar next week. I wanted to get a closer look but alas, I was thwarted by a lack of kayak/sup rentals. Anyone know what the status of her ownership is? $500k was an extremely steep asking price, considering what else you can get in the used multi market for that right now. Here's some blurry shots from my phone camera anyways:
20220714_130229.jpg

20220714_130242.jpg

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
What’s the story behind that shot, was it sinking, why was it being towed?
Here's the story, with full size photos:

Activation 18/06/22: Part 2 - Guess Who?
Well, the 71 footer is once again our target vessel. After Thursday's drama, of the chase to find the missing Yacht (which we found at Gloucester Island en route to somewhere). The future buyer was unsure where he would go for the night. Well fortunately the owner kept an eye out for his property. We, VMR had a call that the vessel had suffered damage to her rudders, motor and required a tow back to Airlie Beach the following day.
09:35 Mal called me (Ken) with the news. "Can you assist in this matter?" A crew was organised and we were ready to depart. 09:50 the wind was from the South East at 25 knots and was likely to increase. With Bill, James and Pauline joining me for this mission, Coral Sea Marina VMR1 set off for Shag Islet where our target was apparently on anchor.
With the wind behind us and a following sea, we surfed our way to Gloucester Passage with James on the helm. Once through the passage, I took the helm and we spotted our target off the end of Shag Islet.
As the vessel did not have any engine power we hooked on a tow line to hold the vessel as they retrieved their anchor. Normally this would be considered the bow of a vessel, where the anchor is. Well not on this one. The bow on her is dependent on which way the Boom is laying. The Boom can rotate 180 Degrees so the bow changes with that. Now that we had the anchor up, we had to transfer the tow line to the other end of the vessel as it was now going to be the dedicated bow. I hope you are following all this 🙂
We offered the target our Towing Bridle. The reply was " We have our own." No thankyou, we will give you our "special bridle" as it is indestructible. That settled Bill and Pauline organised the transfer as we made ready for the long haul home to Airlie Beach. "Please take up any dagger boards as we will be going through some rather shallow water". Once through the shallows, the dagger board was lowered to give extra stability to the vessel.
The owner suggested that 20 knots would be a comfortable speed for the return trip. Did he understand that we would be going head to wind into a 25 plus knot South Easter. Plus, being towed not sailing! A very big difference.
We commenced the tow at 8 knots, had a look at them and slowly increased to 9.8 to 10 maximum. At this speed their helmsman, perched completely in the open, right near the bow, was getting a thorough drenching every thirty seconds. This is not my idea of fun.
The conditions were deteriorating, so we slowed to around 9 knots. Just to give you an idea of how rough it was. VMR1 was taking green water over the top of our fly-bridge. Our fly-bridge front window was open. Pauline, James and I were watching our towed vessel copping a dousing, when a big wave just poured in on to all of us! Too late to close it now. It was James on the helm so we chose to blame him.
Crossing Pioneer Bay was a pleasure, the big sea had left us. Now to deal with the traffic. We had to find a mooring that the owner said was red. Other than that what else could I possibly require.
Wandering around the mooring field with a 71 foot Multi hull on a very short tow line was not exactly an ideal situation. Eventually the correct mooring was located. After 4 or 5 attempts at picking up a mooring it was decided that this was only going to work if I had them strapped along side. We passed over our boat hook so when they hooked the mooring they would not loose it.
At last on the mooring.
All safe, we headed back to hand over VMR1 for a medivac. The paramedic and crew were awaiting our arrival. 15:40
Six hours of concentrated effort from my crew. Adjusting the tow line. Ensuring the line was clear of our propellers at all times. Great team work. Well done by all.
Some of the crew also joined the medivac.
Senior Crew: James, Assistant Senior Crew: Bill H, Comms: Pauline
Skipper: Ken

And here is Part 1:

Activation 16/6/2022: Missing 71 foot sailing Vessel presumed stolen!
It was 15:10 on Training night. I (Ken) was onboard Coral Sea Marina VMR1 setting up for 19 crew who were to attend training at 16:30. Bill our dedicated 24 hour emergency phone holder came on board to announce we have a call out. A vessel belonging to one of our members has disappeared from its mooring.
The Police were to be involved and would be coming on VMR1. The owner of the missing vessel was also onboard. Some (lucky) trainee crew arrived very early for Training. I invited them on board for the experience of "a real live mission".
16:10 we departed Coral Sea Marina heading for the last known position.
Fortunately the missing vessel was equipped with AIS (Automatic Identification System). VTS Whitsunday (Vessel Tracking Service) had advised us of the Latitude and Longitude. This was the last known position as the AIS had since been turned off! This made things even more intriguing for us, the searchers. By turning off the AIS, the vessel was no longer visible by name or identification number. I had completed a total search of all AIS equipped vessels within our area all the way to Bowen. This vessel had disappeared.
With my crew each armed with binoculars they were searching the horizon. Meanwhile we were scanning with the Radar. We were near Double Cone when Paul spotted a sail far on the horizon. Could this be the fugitive vessel?
I immediately headed in that direction at full speed. The fugitive looked like it was heading for Gloucester passage. 17:10 we were along side the sailing vessel. I asked the person on board to "heave to" so we could have a talk. A call from the Police officer to obey my instruction brought results. The Water Police were also on the way to join us in their own vessel.
After a discussion with the Police, the current owner and apparently future owner (on the fugitive vessel), I was advised there was nothing more to be accomplished at this time.
Return to base was next on our list of priorities. 18:25 we were at the fuel dock. 19:30 we were washed down and paperwork complete ready for dinner.
This was one of those situations, do not hand over the keys until you have been paid in full.
Thankyou to all the crew. I had 2 Skippers and 4 trainee crew on board and all contributed to this activation.
Skippers: Ray and Paul M
Crew: Comms - Donna, Trainees - Dick, Brodie and Ashley
Senior Skipper: Ken

This CF has been almost as fun to watch as the Flyin Hawaiian train wreck. Ignorance + open checkbook = entertainment
It wasn't even that bad until the (previous?) owners who did the "refit" got ahold of her. I must say that I actually vibe with the paint scheme, helps break up the huge flat panels, but the rest is a trainwreck of epic proportions. You know that when it looks stupid from several hundred meters away that there's something seriously wrong...

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
It wasn't even that bad until the (previous?) owners who did the "refit" got ahold of her. I must say that I actually vibe with the paint scheme, helps break up the huge flat panels, but the rest is a trainwreck of epic proportions. You know that when it looks stupid from several hundred meters away that there's something seriously wrong...
I dislike that paintwork almost as much as I dislike the word Vibe.....