8-10hp lightweight XL shaft 4 stroke outboard?

sheet_in

I've currently got a ~30 year old mercury 8hp 2 stroke long shaft (20") that runs fine and only weighs 60lb but my inner hippie objects to the 2 stroke, so I'm looking for a 4 stroke replacement. I'd also prefer a longer shaft since it has a hard time staying submerged in any waves when I don't have a decent sized crew onboard that can all sit at the back and help keep it in the water. Motor is pretty much only used to get in and out of the marina or scooting out of the way of ferries and cargo ships when becalmed.

Anyone got any recommendations? Looking around at new engines I didn't see much that fit the bill - seems like I can get XL shaft in a very heavy 9.9 or L shaft in a lighter 8 or 9.8. Don't need power tilt or electric start or anything like that.

andykane

Victoria, BC
What kind of boat?

I'd be deciding between the Tohatsu 6hp Sail-pro (25" shaft, 55lbs) or the Yamaha T9.9 (93lbs but probably more for the 25" shaft). The Tohatsu has a reputation for being loud and picky about fuel quality but gets you the long shaft + light weight combo, as long as 6hp is sufficient. And for a sailboat it might be as effective as a 30yr old 8hp 2-stroke. The Yamaha is a really nice motor, smooth, quiet, powerful, tons of thrust, and relatively lightweight for what it is, but much heavier and more powerful than what you have.

sheet_in

Boat is an evelyn 32, a 32 ft ULDB from the early 80s. About 4500 lb.

That's a good point about a modern 6hp maybe being equivalent to my old 8hp. I've only had the boat + motor about 4 months but so far the 8 seems like more than I need honestly.

RomanV

I suggest to go with EFI OB. For example Suzuki 9.9B or BT. Better to be a bit overpowered than underpowered ,specially in harsh conditions and Suzu EFI don't need the battery for handstart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I have owned the following 2 strokes

Mercury 3.3

Yamaha 4

Evinrude 9.9

Yamaha 15

Yamaha 15 Enduro

And the following 4 strokes 

Honda 8

Tohatsu 6 Sailpro

Yamaha 9.9 high thrust XL shaft (x2) 

The 2 stroke Yamahas stand out for durability. The Sailpro was the worst I ever owned and I owned it from new. It was the worst by an order of magnitude in reluctance to start, idle or run. 

I agree that the Yamaha 9. 9 is way overkill for your boat. Maybe a 20" Yamaha 6 with a better mount allowing the motor to get closer to the water. Our sailing coop has 5 Catalina 27's using Yamaha 9.9 and they mount on a vertical slider that moves up and down 2 vertical rails on the pretty vertical transom. Much more vertical travel than a typical hinged bracket.

Mizzmo

Anarchist
Monterey, CA
If its for purely environmental reasons I'm not convinced upgrading from the 2 stroke is worth it. The environmental cost of mining, forging, assembling and shipping all the components from all over the world, then shipping the motor to you would take a long time to be offset by the improved combustion efficiency of the 4stroke that burns a few gallons a year. 

Mizzmo

Anarchist
Monterey, CA
That said, I always look around a little sheepishly when I start up my motor in a beautiful harbor to a cloud of blue smoke. It goes away rapidly once warm though. 

A

Amati

That said, I always look around a little sheepishly when I start up my motor in a beautiful harbor to a cloud of blue smoke. It goes away rapidly once warm though. 
I do that sheep thing when I start the Yanmar.  It’s worse when the cloud drifts over another boat, and I hear coughing sounds.  Sometimes it’s me coughing when the wind is blowing the wrong direction.

2airishuman

Anarchist
I have the Yamaha high thrust 8 xl shaft on my sailboat.  Works great, plenty of power.  15 years old.  Good parts availability.  Nothing not to like really.  The 9.9 is the same engine with a different carb.  The high-torque lower unit is a good match for sailboats.

I also have a Honda 9.9 on a 12' aluminum shell, brand new this year, also nice.  The Honda and Yamaha are more the same than they are different.  I would have liked to get another Yamaha but there were none available with the options and shaft length that I needed.  I understand that Honda also makes these with a high torque lower unit and xl shaft.

mvk512

So Cal
6hp should be plenty of power for an Evelyn 32... even in the PNW.  Anything larger is just too much weight for that boat.     

illan_voyager

Some good info and some ?? questionable as well (XL is always a good idea & electric?- don't forget to count the battery weight!), so I thought this was a good thread to bump/
Tohatsu 6hp , Tohatsu 9.8, Suzuki 10, & Yamaha 9.9 are about the only ex long (25") 4-strokes in the game (honda hardly deserves mention due to price point).

Tohatsu 6hp gets a bad rep as a shaker & trouble-maker (as do a lot of other single cylinder 4-stroke outboards) but I've run one regularly for 10 years and with religious use of a little sta-bil to deal with the ethanol - it's been a great motor. Just pulled it out after 2 years of storage- minimal winterization , and amazed that I didn't even have to go through the carb! still runs great. I think I might have run it out of fuel- definitely didn't fog it or anything before storing. I've also run a Tohatsu/Nissan/merc 6hp dinghy motor with no issues.

If you're using the motor to get out of the harbor and put sails up - go with the 6hp shaker. If you're expecting to do some more serious distances under power, against adverse currents- trying to make a schedule for the san juans or whatever - PERHAPS consider a 9.9.

There was once ( early mid 2000's if I remember right) a Yamaha T8 2-cylinder that came in ex long and was a unique block vs 9,9, but now (and for quite some time) all the 8hp are the same block as 9.9 & even 15. These 8hp XL could even be found in power tilt! And high thrust. They're still extremely popular trolling motors for fishing boats, in AK or the west coast they fetch a premium if you ever find one used.. They weren't all that lightweight.

For the vintage 2-strokes (XL 25" specifically) there were Tohatsu/Nissan 8hp, Johnson Evinrude 6/8 & 9.9 sailmaster , Tohatsu 9.8, and a Merc sail-power or something, 9.9 ?

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Some good info and some ?? questionable as well (XL is always a good idea & electric?- don't forget to count the battery weight!), so I thought this was a good thread to bump/
Tohatsu 6hp , Tohatsu 9.8, Suzuki 10, & Yamaha 9.9 are about the only ex long (25") 4-strokes in the game (honda hardly deserves mention due to price point).

Tohatsu 6hp gets a bad rep as a shaker & trouble-maker (as do a lot of other single cylinder 4-stroke outboards) but I've run one regularly for 10 years and with religious use of a little sta-bil to deal with the ethanol - it's been a great motor. Just pulled it out after 2 years of storage- minimal winterization , and amazed that I didn't even have to go through the carb! still runs great. I think I might have run it out of fuel- definitely didn't fog it or anything before storing. I've also run a Tohatsu/Nissan/merc 6hp dinghy motor with no issues.

If you're using the motor to get out of the harbor and put sails up - go with the 6hp shaker. If you're expecting to do some more serious distances under power, against adverse currents- trying to make a schedule for the san juans or whatever - PERHAPS consider a 9.9.

There was once ( early mid 2000's if I remember right) a Yamaha T8 2-cylinder that came in ex long and was a unique block vs 9,9, but now (and for quite some time) all the 8hp are the same block as 9.9 & even 15. These 8hp XL could even be found in power tilt! And high thrust. They're still extremely popular trolling motors for fishing boats, in AK or the west coast they fetch a premium if you ever find one used.. They weren't all that lightweight.

For the vintage 2-strokes (XL 25" specifically) there were Tohatsu/Nissan 8hp, Johnson Evinrude 6/8 & 9.9 sailmaster , Tohatsu 9.8, and a Merc sail-power or something, 9.9 ?
I’ll just chime in and say go electric if in and out of the harbor is your only use. Torqueedo’s are awesome for that. Other options are coming soon, but that’s what I’d go with for now.

Disclaimer: I work for Mercury.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I’ll just say this the easiest way. None of the manufacturers give a shit about those little engines. There’s no money in them. That’s why everyone partners up to sell the same engine. If you want something better, look to the new players or wildly new products from the old players.

Gigantasy

Oakland
If you want something better, look to the new players or wildly new products from the old players.
Any specific outboards come to mind? I’ve got an outboard-driven Soverel 33 (~6000lb displacement) and would like something quieter and easier starting than the Merc 5hp I’m using. Needs to be light enough that I can take it off the transom and stow while racing.

(Eventually I’ll go electric, but I think that’s a few years down the line to do totally right.)