83 yr old, SF to Osaka solo

Kenichi Horie has a pretty amazing history.

https://sfist.com/2022/03/26/an-83-year-old-sailor-just-left-san-francisco-on-a-tiny-sailboat-headed-to-osaka/

image.png

ProaSailor

Super Anarchist
Oregon
In a 19 foot sailboat?  At 23 years old, he did the reverse trip "in just 94 days" at an average speed of 2.35 knots.  That sounds grueling - and frankly, not wise, especially at age 83?

In 1962, a 23-year-old Horie took his tiny wooden ship — the original Mermaid — on a three-month solo journey from Osaka to San Francisco. He completed the 5,300 hundred miles in just 94 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProaSailor

Super Anarchist
Oregon
Is there a tracker, as he hit some rough shit yesterday...
https://www.furuno.com/special/jp/horie-challenge/

https://suntory-mermaid3.kb.ap-northeast-1.aws.found.io:9243/s/suntory-mermaid3/app/dashboards?auth_provider_hint=SUNTORY-MERMAID3#/view/ab3afae0-21b1-11ec-afc4-4379b60c4fbb?embed=true&_g=(filters%3A!())&hide-filter-bar=true

船名    SUNTORY MERMAID III    
日本時刻    2022-Mar-29 00:55    
緯度 [deg]    N36.26    
経度 [deg]    W125.13    
船速 [knot]    5.4    
進路 [deg]    243

Kenichi_tracker_2022Mar28a.png

Translation:

The boat "Suntory Mermaid III" carrying Mr. Horie is tracked in real time, and the position information of the boat is displayed regularly.
Update time: 60 minutes
Hover your mouse pointer over the boat to display information such as the position and course of the boat.

About the color of the boat icon
It is displayed in a color according to the ship speed.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/kenichi-horie-will-depart-under-golden-gate-saturday/

83-year-old solo yachtsman sailing from San Francisco to Japan on fourth voyage
Kenichi Horie — thought to be the third person to ever sail across the Pacific solo — set off for Japan Saturday
https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/03/26/83-year-old-solo-yachtsman-sailing-from-san-francisco-to-japan-on-fourth-voyage/

Kenichi_2022Mar28b.jpg

The five-foot-tall Japanese sailor and voyager had the boat designed to his specifications. He also has the tools to stay safe and all the books, cornflakes and rice he will need. And he’ll be watched over by faithful fans planning to train their eyes on the GPS tracker aboard his boat.

“It’s almost the same as before,” Horie said of his first voyage across the Pacific from Japan to San Francisco in 1962.“But my age, that’s the difference.”
[...]
Since then, Horie’s made similarly dangerous solo journeys, circumnavigating the globe from east to west in 1974 and then north to south in 1978. In 1985, he sailed a solar boat from Hawaii to Japan, and from 1992 to 1993, Horie did it again on a paddle boat. And he embarked on two more cross-Pacific journeys, in 1999 and 2002.

Now he’s braving the seas once more.

“I never imagined myself being here at 83 years old, but I am happy that I am,” Horie said in an interview at the San Francisco Yacht Club. “My goal was to cross the Pacific at 100 years old, but I’m not sure my heart will be beating then. I want to do it now — I have to do it now.”

Horie’s boat is tiny, at just 19 feet long. He had to think of every way possible to conserve space and make sure the boat would take him safely across the ocean. Inside the cabin, two small mats are laid out to serve as his bed. He has a few books — one of them about Magellan’s circumnavigation of the globe exactly five centuries ago this year — and a satellite phone for emergencies. His food? Bowls of pre-cooked rice, cornflakes and shelf-stable milk. As for music, Horie said the crashing waves and howling winds are all the melody he needs.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Not anymore.  That's not how societies function.  Cue the cries of "he never should have been out there" and "make him pay for his rescue!"
A reason why I’d never have a blog where I announce to the Internet what I plan to do.  I want to be “far from the madding crowd” (to quote Thomas Hardy).

Lord,

give me the mind to want this from the bottom of my heart at 83, the body to do it and the wife and kids to let me.
If you need the wife and kids’ permission, you’re already a goner :)

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Those lifelines are like 8 inches high off the deck, just above the ankle! Why?
On a boat that size in any weather you are crawling to go forward. Those are handholds, not lifelines.

I played in the world veterans' (as in old folks) table tennis championships in Las Vegas a few years ago. A disproportionate percentage of those in the 85+ and 90+ classes were Japanese. They also have the highest life expectancy in the world.

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Does Kenichi like instant mashed potatoes?
I met a guy (Japanese) when I was mountain biking around northern Japan - we cycled together for a bit, sharing campsites.  When I was living there, for almost four years, I had a rice cooker and basically ate rice daily, as tens of millions of Japanese do daily, three meals a day.  But that guy, the cyclist, also made rice with his camp stove - not an easy feat!  I suspect Horie-san has provisioned with many prepared meals.

(His boat, by the way, sorta reminds me of the Setka-class inspired Globe 5.80 boats.)

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
I met a guy (Japanese) when I was mountain biking around northern Japan - we cycled together for a bit, sharing campsites.  When I was living there, for almost four years, I had a rice cooker and basically ate rice daily, as tens of millions of Japanese do daily, three meals a day.  But that guy, the cyclist, also made rice with his camp stove - not an easy feat!  I suspect Horie-san has provisioned with many prepared meals.

(His boat, by the way, sorta reminds me of the Setka-class inspired Globe 5.80 boats.)
I think you missed my reference (or maybe ignored it):

and continued: