89er

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Re winglets, they are basicaly triangular, so the basic idea will be to

Mould the deck and the hull (under side) as one unit, this may happen in 2-3-4 stages, but the idea is they will be one unit!  They will have say 30mm flanges, some, quite substaintial to carry the Vee-Cleats. Then while everything is still on the mould, also mould the baffel   That's the vertical bit them ends up against the side of the hull.    But when moulding the baffel, use perforated plastic or Oven Bake to ensure that it will seperate from the hull/deck moulding.  

Prior to de-moulding, drill some pilot holes or line-up holes through the Baffel and into the flange.

Then de-mould the baffel, that bits easy.

Then de-mould the Deck/hull (2 side of the triangle).   This bit wont be as easy as it substaintial but I am hoping I can spring the hull/deck edges up enough that it slides off the plug.

Then pre-mount the baffel onto the sides of the hull, we spoke before about double sides tape, yad yad yad.   Few well placed "nails" sticking out of the baffel through the pre-drill pilot holes.

Frame up the inside of the hull/deck, and then push it on glue up against the baffel and leave it there a few hours to kick.

Take it off, drill into pre-placer brass blocks, bolt on with numerous M6 CSK MT, and you have a winglet.

That's the plan, few Negronis latter I may have a different idea!

jB

Will1073

Anarchist
@JulianB Toons is indeed in Canada — or at least was. Briefly in Montreal, the guys got her back together and sailed at least once on Lake St-Louis.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
IMG-20220218-WA0006.jpeg IMG-20220219-WA0000.jpeg

allweather

baltic
Nice table, work bench, seat? ;)
Convenient, need to remember that... I have some Euroboxes still lying around...

Looks very neat with my undiscerning eyes. Since this takes all the rudder loads(small as they are with your design?), what thickness carbon tubing are you using?

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Nice table, work bench, seat? ;)
Convenient, need to remember that... I have some Euroboxes still lying around...

Looks very neat with my undiscerning eyes. Since this takes all the rudder loads(small as they are with your design?), what thickness carbon tubing are you using?
It's glass tube from Exel, 32mm OD 28mm ID, pretty basic stuff.

If you ever find yourself back here, let me know!
I was going to be flying through in August on my way to Nova Scotia and on to Maine, but more likely that will get shelved as I need to go to Eygpt, Jordan and Israel, pity, family has very strong conections to Notra Dame (Montreal one) and of-course I spent my 20's and 21's there at Point Claire and RStYC.   Last time IO was there was Ian Bruce's wake!   That was a great party.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
20220222_124358.jpg Boat all packed up in a semi clean factory. Atleast I know how I will be transporting the Winglets, plugs are 500mm over lenght, so real ones will be a super simple pack.

Few last min dramas, which worked out well for me, boat is staying put, until my return.  Rob (McMillan) has been sensational.

This time tomorrow I will be sitting in the aircraft, Qantas have even upgraded me.

Something has to go wrong shortly but while the sunshine, all good.    jB

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
View attachment 493289 Boat all packed up in a semi clean factory. Atleast I know how I will be transporting the Winglets, plugs are 500mm over lenght, so real ones will be a super simple pack.

Few last min dramas, which worked out well for me, boat is staying put, until my return.  Rob (McMillan) has been sensational.

This time tomorrow I will be sitting in the aircraft, Qantas have even upgraded me.

Something has to go wrong shortly but while the sunshine, all good.    jB
Safe travels!  We'll wait anxiously to watch the continuation of the build upon your return.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
For those wondering I'm in Darwin (Australia) evening at the 18teens in Double Bay (Sydney) planned by my son, tomorrow will be spent recovering and ordering glass and other stuff. Back into it Tuesday but solo, as Alex is with his mother doing the Gaunn.  Just had notification that the foil moulds are done, may get GT on that (as in pick up) and no doubt coffee in the morning.

6pac has been sold so bit of pressure on to get this boat done.

Hugely successful trip, really indebted to Chris & Paolo, Chris even found me some 70kgs bulbs but I won't get those for 3-4 months.

jB

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Just finished watching the 18teens. Quite the race, especially the first third.  Has me shopping for a 14 to race here in the US.  Or at least I'll maintain my motivation to finish the rebuild of the 505. 

Looking forward to seeing some more progress on your 89er.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Just finished watching the 18teens. Quite the race, especially the first third.  Has me shopping for a 14 to race here in the US.  Or at least I'll maintain my motivation to finish the rebuild of the 505. 

Looking forward to seeing some more progress on your 89er.
That it was if the stories around the bar are anything to go by!

I was 42,000ft between Darwin and Sydney, and boy is it raining, 80-100mm due tomorrow, and it has not stopped.

I'm off to Somersby to look in on the girl, bit of pressure given that 6Pac goes to Tassie on Friday, so Airle Beach is beconing, (Aug 11-18) think I may be flying in from Switzerland to do the event, but need it done and sailing well before that, targeting mid June launch and 10-20 days sailing to de-bug before I go to Europe again.

Of-course Magnetic Island, the "Jewel in the Crown" is Sept 1-6th.   Bring it on.

jB

image.png

Because I can, 1993-4, #3 rig, screaming to the finish of Clark from Shark, honking SEer, Whitty, Noddy and Me.

21ft wings, note the zipper in the bottom of the main, and the twist in the main.   These boats stayed down, and went really fast.   Much much finer in the boat than the present editions.   Going upwind at 17knts was not un-known!   Don't know who is right but these where seriouly scarily boats that bit very hard when you go it wrong!  

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly

I was 42,000ft between Darwin and Sydney, and boy is it raining, 80-100mm due tomorrow, and it has not stopped.

I'm off to Somersby to look in on the girl, bit of pressure given that 6Pac goes to Tassie on Friday, so Airle Beach is beconing, (Aug 11-18) think I may be flying in from Switzerland to do the event, but need it done and sailing well before that, targeting mid June launch and 10-20 days sailing to de-bug before I go to Europe again.

Of-course Magnetic Island, the "Jewel in the Crown" is Sept 1-6th.   Bring it on.

jB

View attachment 496308

Because I can, 1993-4, #3 rig, screaming to the finish of Clark from Shark, honking SEer, Whitty, Noddy and Me.

21ft wings, note the zipper in the bottom of the main, and the twist in the main.   These boats stayed down, and went really fast.   Much much finer in the boat than the present editions.   Going upwind at 17knts was not un-known!   Don't know who is right but these where seriouly scarily boats that bit very hard when you go it wrong!  
Just got re-shown this, really interesting, the 3ft/1m boundary layer is very evident, 90% of the spray is "blown off" at 1m.   Never though of that before, never noticed it!  And the spray is going ostensible with the wind.    Fasicanting!   (Pretty obvious the wife is away until Thursday)

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT

jB

View attachment 496308

I can only imagine the war stories being told at the bar. Glad that everybody made it back safely. I think it was ILVE that was over on their side for quite some time. I enjoyed the play by play as boats came into that outer mark and augered in.