89er

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Did the last bit of "structual" basalting to the boat yesterday, so it was as good a time as any to weigh it.

image.png

A few cosmetic bits of basalting to happen today possibly undercoat (of the deck) over the weekend and then we are into the super important issue of colour scheme.

Boat will go upside down early next week and hopefully final flow coat, mid to late next week, then out of there next weekend.

Back to weight, that is the hull only, the winglets I have estimated to be 14.79kgs per side, add another 1kgs for sundy, so 236.6 + 2x16 = 268.6kgs.

My original maths was 250.85, add the 10kgs because I opted away from a tilting tralier and have made winglets, so the extra 2 bulkheads 2 of which are structual, so we end up at 260.85 approx.  Actual is 268.6 so best part of 8kgs, we have ended up 2.9-3% over target.     For a one off, I think I have every right to be very happy.

image.png

Winglet plugs are now sealed, so a light sand and we start the wax on - wax off process today.

Making those is a full week process, while progressing the hull.

jB

Ncik

Super Anarchist
Did the last bit of "structual" basalting to the boat yesterday, so it was as good a time as any to weigh it.

View attachment 497078

A few cosmetic bits of basalting to happen today possibly undercoat (of the deck) over the weekend and then we are into the super important issue of colour scheme.

Boat will go upside down early next week and hopefully final flow coat, mid to late next week, then out of there next weekend.

Back to weight, that is the hull only, the winglets I have estimated to be 14.79kgs per side, add another 1kgs for sundy, so 236.6 + 2x16 = 268.6kgs.

My original maths was 250.85, add the 10kgs because I opted away from a tilting tralier and have made winglets, so the extra 2 bulkheads 2 of which are structual, so we end up at 260.85 approx.  Actual is 268.6 so best part of 8kgs, we have ended up 2.9-3% over target.     For a one off, I think I have every right to be very happy.

View attachment 497082

Winglet plugs are now sealed, so a light sand and we start the wax on - wax off process today.

Making those is a full week process, while progressing the hull.

jB
I'm a little surprised you didn't laminate the wings as part of the hull, then cut them off and close wings and hull with flat panels. Was it a conscious decision weighing up pros and cons or just felt right?

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
I'm a little surprised you didn't laminate the wings as part of the hull, then cut them off and close wings and hull with flat panels. Was it a conscious decision weighing up pros and cons or just felt right?
3 reasons.

#1, hard enough to effectively laminate something 2.4m wide. 3.5m would be a nightmare.

#2 I was able to directly tie the tension unies into the chainplates, so no 2ndary or tertiary bonds. &

#3 was the transport requirements for a 3.5m wide plug are heinous.

Other mitigating factor, CNC milling means you are going to be pretty close, so why go through the pain.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Pretty in white (undercoated) colour scheme pending.  In the background, winglet plugs with 3 coats of wax.   It's all happening. IMG-20220311-WA0001.jpg

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
3 reasons.

#1, hard enough to effectively laminate something 2.4m wide. 3.5m would be a nightmare.

#2 I was able to directly tie the tension unies into the chainplates, so no 2ndary or tertiary bonds. &

#3 was the transport requirements for a 3.5m wide plug are heinous.

Other mitigating factor, CNC milling means you are going to be pretty close, so why go through the pain.
Speaking of the plug, is it in use by the 2nd group so that hull #2 is underway as well?  

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Speaking of the plug, is it in use by the 2nd group so that hull #2 is underway as well?  
Plugs are due to be picked up at the end of the month, and going to Brisbane.

No 2nd boat being made yet!     There is a little talk about a 3rd being built at the same time as the 2nd, but time will tell.

NMP!   though it would be fun to have some of the same ilk to race against.

jB

allweather

baltic
That looks like a big, big pain in the ass. Dust everywhere while sweating to get things fair. In other words, sanding. :lol:

How much is actual fairing versus just getting things smooth? (also, now that I see the dust on the floor, how do you deal with it getting everywhere? I hate that and why I try to wet sand whenever I can. Though obviously the drying required is not good either. Though I prefer since I don't have a proper shop and can live with waiting)

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
That looks like a big, big pain in the ass. Dust everywhere while sweating to get things fair. In other words, sanding. :lol:

How much is actual fairing versus just getting things smooth? (also, now that I see the dust on the floor, how do you deal with it getting everywhere? I hate that and why I try to wet sand whenever I can. Though obviously the drying required is not good either. Though I prefer since I don't have a proper shop and can live with waiting)
That's about 3 man hrs of sanding. Most of it with an orbital sander, some torture board but not a lot.   I expect another 2-3 man hours today and then flow (epoxy) coat it.

It's pretty fair.

Dust, also probably 10 dust bags worth of dust ontop of what you see.   Getting rid of it, first think this morning will be sweep up and vacuum. Later after 2nd sand, sweep, vacuum and hose.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Your hull looks very fair  I am jealous no bog !! And light !
Yes, it's come up very well.

Today we spent mostly doing winglets, and that's progressing well.

Last thing today, we did the 3 minor basalting jobs to the hull, and tomorrow we will flow coat it with Epoxy flow gloss coat.    Unfortunatly cosmetically we should have used a different glass, probably an E-Glass that had better optical qualities but the gloss epxoy will seal the laminate exceptionally and then mostly be sanded off, and we will probably vinyl wrap it.    Some of the graphic options are exciting, and Vinyl is so easy and tough.

I expect we will detail with "easy sand" putty in a few places, but most of the fairing will happen in the 1/2 - 3/4 mm of the epoxy flow coat.

jB

shebeen

Super Anarchist
Hi guys, the graph I promissed

View attachment 481649

Started life on the back of a napkin, (WSC, 2014) trying to explain, initially to one mother, then to a group of parents what boat they should be choosing for their kids if they wanted to progress up from Opies into the higher reaches of the HP classes.   Blue is double handed, and the oval represent the effect of the spinnaker, not sure it adds to this debate.    But I need to stress all the info used comes from the WS web site, all the numbers as publish either in the classes’ rules or the tech-specs, so if your going to do this re SportsBoats, you really need to have a rock solid base line for your numbers or you will be pilloried!   (Base point is the 5o5)

~~
couldn't see this being queried and it came up in the Laser/5o5 thread so had a query on it.

Firstly, cool graphic, i like it and the vertical is easy to see from Portsmouth ratings.. BUT, what's with the power?

is it direct sail area?

looking at the horizontal axis in terms of power from left to right we have:

RS100<Laser4.7<Finn<Musto Skiff<Laser std<Europe<O'pen Bic

doesn't make sense to me, what am i missing?

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
couldn't see this being queried and it came up in the Laser/5o5 thread so had a query on it.

Firstly, cool graphic, i like it and the vertical is easy to see from Portsmouth ratings.. BUT, what's with the power?

is it direct sail area?

looking at the horizontal axis in terms of power from left to right we have:

RS100<Laser4.7<Finn<Musto Skiff<Laser std<Europe<O'pen Bic

doesn't make sense to me, what am i missing?
I would have to go back and check but I'm guessing it's power to weight ratio.

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
That's about 3 man hrs of sanding. Most of it with an orbital sander, some torture board but not a lot.   I expect another 2-3 man hours today and then flow (epoxy) coat it.

It's pretty fair.

Dust, also probably 10 dust bags worth of dust ontop of what you see.   Getting rid of it, first think this morning will be sweep up and vacuum. Later after 2nd sand, sweep, vacuum and hose.
You getting any KGs back in those bags of dust?

Latest posts