89er

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
So a Huish day today 4th over the line and 4th on handicap ♿️, can't complain but I'm trashed and a early CC tomorrow.  Just so you don't feel to bad about me I have attached a photo so you know what I'm putting up with. IMG-20220404-WA0006.jpeg

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Hi all, we ended up winning Port Stephens.     So this is Div 1. Commodors Cup.     Sailing a Farr 40.

https://fb.watch/cd2gZz8A5Z/

From 1:42 - 1:48 you can see us in our 6 secs of fame, I'm on mian sheet sitting down with the olive bucket hat.

Back in SYD, buckets of rain, but the plan is to start progressing the boat again tomorrow, then back up to Port on Friday very early for the 2nd event.

bag dad

Baghdad
Bit more time, less flippant answer, I belive it's High Density Tooling Board, it's design to cut very cleanly and that it has.   I will give them a coat of thinned epoxy, which I expect to penetrate 2-3mm, and then a epoxy primer which I will wet & dry and polish and I will work off that surface.   Probably 2 days work, moulds will be good for 10 pulls probably.    When I get to it very happy to explain the whole process.   The fin (keel) mould is 400mm over length, so I can play with longer fin lengths if I or someone else wants to.

They are heavy, I can just lift 1/2 of the fin mould, my guess is it's 35-40kgs.

jB
If your tooling is made with 35-40kg tooling board be very careful of trying to coat it in epoxy. The closed cell nature of PU and epoxy tooling board means it doesn't really absorb anything, definitely not 2-3mm of depth like MDF. If you want a buffable gloss finish just go straight to paint. In that density range you can also just start applying mold release like freekote 770 or start with a mold sealer and then freekote. Another option for guaranteed release is to put down teflon release film. In my experience while not cheap and ends up with a distinct but subtle texture it tends to result in the least amount of pinholes whether doing wet laminate or prepreg and is also the quickest of the three options. If you go that route it's good to do a 30 minute vacuum debulk after putting it down. The number of parts your looking to get out of the tool is also a factor.

Teflon is a guaranteed release and easily repairable.

Paint and polish gives the best finish and can be repaired but it's the most amount of work.

Sealing and releasing is the least labor intensive (not the quickest as you need to wait between coats) and probably the cheapest but will have the shortest tool life

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Bag Dad, I did not take your advice, I have expoxied them, which is what I have done 10 times before with sectacular results, plus I asked my milling guy, who has done it 100 time before and he concured that I should just epxoy them, then use a primer as a final surface.

Port Stephens, great week sailing, as I may have commented we won the 1st event, but as it is with PHRF, they then handicaped us out of existance, we had to beat 50fters (which we did) but sort of screws the purpose.

Lots of fun, bonucing of sand banks to avoid 2knts of tide, but we had 2 days of 10-15knts and the last day they could not get a race off due to no breeze.

But back into it, loose Alex May-day, he is off to Army (Reserves) for the month, then taking the chicky-babe to Europe for another month (ohhh to be that age again) so we are into it with ernest tomorrow.

Today Epoxied the foil moulds (Alex was being a plumber, as in working for one) and I 1/2 fitted one wing.

Tomorrow we will finalise that, lock the that wing off and start framing it up, then do the other, probably sand the foil moulds and get some primer on and I promise to takle some photos.

Mast is due in Australia mid June as are the sails, (Mast, pole, battens from NZ, sails from China)   Boom is Australian, still hoping to sail early July (65th brithday present to me) and then maybe Arile and definitly Maggie!

jB

bag dad

Baghdad
If you got the results you were happy with then all good. Just speaking from my experiences machining and using PU and epoxy tooling board

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
image.png

Spent most of the day on the winglets, you can see the battens going through, this is us check fitting the winglets to the hull, and then we have locked the depth of the laminate with screws through the laminate and into the battens.

If you look closely you can see the screws.

The battens are the thickness of what we expect the Baffels to end up, we then took them downstairs and have framed them up, 6 "bulkheads" on 600mm centers along the length. Winglets.jpg

Shot from behind, still working out the shape of the transom (back of the wingelts).

Tomorrow is ment to rain, so probably back on foils, they are off to one side curing nicely.     Light sand tomorrow, then a primer, another sand and then start waxing.

Re Port Stephens, because we won the 1st event our handicap was "adjusted" so we had to beat 50fters, we beat a few but not enough so 2nd event was a bit painfull, and 1/2 the team ended up with Covid just to put icing on the cake.   I still tested negative, not sure how or why.

I owe some answers

Allweather re balance

Sailingabout re raking foild fwd &

Berlin14 re twist and feather.

Try and do one a day, and if I have missed anyone, please, speak now or ----------!

jB

Stanno

Sydney
Heya JB - can you take a progress pic or three from a bit back from the boat so we can get a sense of how she looks proportionally/ overall? The last ones were in the shed and much progress made!!! 

Looking forward to catching up at some point - its been a crazy year!

Cheers

Stanno

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Heya JB - can you take a progress pic or three from a bit back from the boat so we can get a sense of how she looks proportionally/ overall? The last ones were in the shed and much progress made!!! 

Looking forward to catching up at some point - its been a crazy year!

Cheers

Stanno
I can do that, but probably the other side of Easter.

And yes, you now owe me 2 beers!

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Happy B-day young man; I'm only a couple months ahead of you - going to the beach on my B-day!
Been a very long time since someone called me young so thankyou.

Back into it after an extended delay.

The double-sided foam tape trick worked faultlessly.  Un-believably well.

Few photos if it happening.   The triangular-Vee cleat are also working far better than one could have hoped for.

Unfortunately for those in Sydney it just started to rain again, we where hopping to complete a winglet tomorrow, as in bond it onto the baffle, while the baffle was attached to the boat.

We spent the day doing all the reinforcements and brass backing plates for things like spinnaker block and chicken lines, the plan was first thing tomorrow to do the Stb winglet, and then on Thursday do the Pt one.

But with what happening outside right now, that may be a distant hope.

Anyway, it’s happening again, if we don’t do winglets we will do foils, so not all is lost.

Few photo’s, not the ones you want Stanno, but some teasers of the double sided tape.   BTW, this double sided tape is that stuff you stick your calendar on the wall with, nothing special.

image.png

Alex peeling the backing tape off.

image.png

Detail of the tape on the Key.

allweather

baltic
It's very nice to see the somewhat rough looking appearance of the fabrics!

I take it this is a case of not bothering with work or weight to get a smoother finish when its all about function here? I like that practical approach.

Also just neat to see the foam tape method you described earlier in action. Pictures make visualization easier and it is something I've committed to memory for future endeavors where I am sure it will come in handy!

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
It's very nice to see the somewhat rough looking appearance of the fabrics!

I take it this is a case of not bothering with work or weight to get a smoother finish when its all about function here? I like that practical approach.

Also just neat to see the foam tape method you described earlier in action. Pictures make visualization easier and it is something I've committed to memory for future endeavors where I am sure it will come in handy!
What you are looking at is the internal baffel, it is structual in that it carries rig tension & torque.   It has been sanded and undercoated, but all the Vee-cleat will come off and a bit more attention will be paid to the surface, but in no way do I expect it to be pristine.

Foam tape was un-believiable simple, still quite hard to believe it worked so well.

Jim Donovan

Anarchist
Been a very long time since someone called me young so thankyou.
Getting ready for completing that 65th lap around the sun in a few weeks; afraid there's a shop full of work before I get to finally relax  :blink: .

Like your boat; reminds me of an Ultimate 30 design I got to work on at the Farr office; most of the Lake Garda boats of the day had tubular racks, and we decided to try solid wings that ended up a bit lighter. I remember working pretty hard to get the forward part of the wing to have a positive angle of attack to generate some up-force if it started to dig in; the helmsman might have a chance to pull out before augering in! 

Longobarda Ultimate 30.jpg

A couple years before that we designed the polar opposite for the same owner; the 84ft maxi "Longobarda" weighing in at a modest 42 tonnes! I sailed aboard during a regatta in France with 42 other crew aboard. My "job" was to hold the hand of one of the guests and help her across the aft deck during a tack, and avoid getting taken out by the runner blocks. My favorite photo of that boat shows what can happen when runner blocks f-up! (nice shot Sharon)

Longobarda Maxi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
I did a Libera, out of German, I remeber coming out of the moorings at 25+ knts and hitting something a lot higher before it all ended in tears.     Really crazy boats.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Re the boat, we have bonded the Stb winglet today, so other than the aft face, it's complete as in all glued together.

Tomorrow or Friday we will do the Pt one, and start the process of tapping the edges and finalising the deck fairing and bogging.

Boat is booked in for a fair and spray (hull) in June/July while I am in Europe.

Mast is being made by C-Tech in NZ, really impressed with the work they are doing that's Tim Willets and the sail designer Andy Lechte is free-lance but mostly contected to Dolye.    Mast, spinnaker pole and battens are all coming from C-Tech, Sails 99.999% sure will come from Doyle China, Boom is CST.

All should be here end of June, about the time I have to go to Europe, so 1st sail will be mid-late July.

Plan is to sail it in Sydney maybe 6-7-8 times, then GT will drive it to Arile Beach and we do that, then month latter do Magnetic (early Sept) then straight back to SYD and teh Super 30's series.

Plugs all going to Brisbane mid May.   3 possible "additional" boats now being built, life was never meant to be boring.

jB

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Just FYI, did the Pt wing just now.

Those in Sydney will know the weather, not flash but given we had a trial run, whole process was simpler than the Stb wing.

It's under a tarp right now in the rain, probably come off about 3ish and down stairs and start cooking.

Keep you posted, and try and get some photos.

jB

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Been a week, for those in Sydney, they will know why your not hearing much from me, but it has progressed, both winglets have been fitted, bonded, on is ready to get it aft cap, the other is probably a week away.

Doing things at present like fitting design for maststeps and systems layouts, also need to get onto the sails, and details surounding them, lots to be done there.

Probably mid May, the boat will go north to be seen and quoted on the final paint process, (while I'm in Europe) which is late June into Early July, by then I hope most of the fitting detail will be done.

Loose Alex tomorrow for 2 months, month in Army Reserve and then in Europe with the GF so it's back to me, myself and I.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Hi guys, sorry for the super trady reply but at last we have sun-shine, it's amazing.

Had to spend the last few days on 49er and 29er stuff.  

49er masts, it has all happened before and it will all happened again, I think the first sign of madness is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.    Just had the Pres on the phone and even WS have written a different process into the new contracts, so we have movment!    But it will cost Chris (Ovington) John (Mackay and myself a shit load, they will get it back, I doubt I will, so all the fool am I.    But I did give Tom a whole new mast today which bar a few very minor variations should be the final iteration and it felt really good.   A Conf Call tomorrow afternoon and another next week just to manage the re-implementation and here hoping.    I did sit down with Max (one of our super good testers) and he had a great time in Europe with very few issues, even his track and spreader stood up to a really gruling 45-46 days of sailing every day.   The North sail take a huge increase in downhaul loads, the figures coming out of Europe are scary, but one of the really good ones is the jib stay in race condition for over 45days of intense use, so that's up from 21-25 days, Main was still going, spinnaker is still the same.    Need to stress this is Gold Fleet race condition sails, they will be good for tripple that as training sails and longer again as bash about sails.    So maybe we got that right.   The tubes are also impressive, the castelation ring system completly resolves all thos issues, so we are getting there.

Back to 89ers,   David Lambourne will be at Somersby next Friday (it's the 13th) and is picking up all the plugs and a whole bunch of other stuff, taking it all back to Brisbane were he has atleast 2 to make, possibly 4, so we may yet get fleet racing.

I gave the old girl a huge clean today, got rid of all the possume shit and started again with Winglets, I'm hopping for 4 days of sun and getting the winglets almost done and dusted.   I will take the boat with me next Friday, a) so Dave (Lambourne) and I can talk and visualise what he is up for "live" so to speak, and b) hopefully take it around the Dean so he get a idea of what the fairing and painting will entail.

Mast is actually being made as we speak, it goes in a container (in Auckland) to Brisbane, on the 13th also so I should get it early June.    Got to go to a wqedding in Brissy 11th June so that could work in well.   It's sort of coming together.   Did a whole lot of sail design and tweaking yesterday, so thats all happening also.

Amazing what a bit of sun dose to your program.    Still really keen to do Arile and Maggie in her, but we do also have a back up plan.

Dad gets inaguralated (he has already but Covid, we actually get to tap him on the head) into the AUST Hall of Fame,  Saturday, super interesting meeting Sat morning, but I won't spill the beans just yet.

China project(s) are going well, great to be alive.

Stanno, promise to get photos next Friday at the very least.

jB

Stanno

Sydney
I'll be at the HoF press on Saturday - maybe see you there?

Lots to catch up on, including your pics of this beast!!

Cheers

Stanno

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
And I just got notification that my mast (spin-pole and battens) is on the move from C-Tech in Avondale to Mackay's in Silverdale, about a 20km drive (in Auckland), to go in a continer mid next week for shipping to Brisbane, so the plan is coming together.   Sun is out again today, about to do an hour on FX masthead design and then back into it.

Stanno, late afternoon your up for a V&T!   (Beers don't cut it)