89er

Jimmy C

In my past experiences with constrictors up the mast it's the shockcord that lets go. from either age (rigs left up long term) or from people pulling too hard on the trip line. you only need just enough tension to "trip" the constrictor otherwise you just end up stretching the shockcord and you can pull it too far and bend the constrictor and add a heap of friction to pulling the sail down.
I found both of these in a big Hall rig that was on a 50ft cat.

allweather

baltic
pulling too hard on the trip line.
Oh, I hadn't heard that you can trip up the constrictor like that. Good to know.

As for shock cord failure, that would be a safe failure as the halyard let's go, wouldn't it be in most cases?
Still a new, less accessible maintenance item, but using a solid piece of rubber instead of ordinary shock cord should increase the interval... Something to account for though when installing the jammer so that preferably there wouldn't be a need to drill out rivets each time it fails...

Well, thanks to dyneema I don't think people are using halyard lock on h-boats anymore, so not exactly a concern for me personally right now. Good to know though.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Back in Australia after a brief interlude in Europe.
Very successful trip, achieved everything I intended to plus a whole lot more, so very happy.
2 1/2 hrs queues to get on the plane in Amsterdam where not fun, but the train system around Denmark, Nth Germany and Holland where impeccable, far simpler than flying and quite possibly quicker.

The weather in Brisbane has been worst than that in Sydney, and that's saying something, so delays on the paint process.
I have plenty to do, and got Arlie, Mid Aug, so probably won't go get the boat until early Aug at the soonest.
That pushes launch date back into September of-course. (Spring in Australia and winter westerlies, fun)
Possibly a good thing as I will hopefully be warmer by then.

As soon as it gets above 15C I will start on the mast, spreaders, the whole rigging process.
So very little to report, jB

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
the train system around Denmark, Nth Germany and Holland where impeccable, far simpler than flying and quite possibly quicker.
My experience as well over many years. And not just limited to the countries mentioned. Trains usually beat jets for any short haul destination in Europe, if you count in the taxi rides to and from the airport.

Far more interesting and you get to see a lot more of the real world as well…..

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Just doing the GN on the C-Tech mast, it started life like this.
1658399038354.png

The 2 yellow tubes are to allow for downhaul lines or the alike, but 8mm Bolt holding the 3 bits of ID 8mm FRP tube, the washers allow you to control the Uni fiber lay-up, in this case the 2 pieces at the ends are 25mm long, the bit in the middle is 50mm long and will be removed to allow for the Ti GN gudgeon.
1658399236735.png

This is the 1st stage of the lay-up, unie's (in this case Basalt) looped around the other 25mm FRP tubes, by looped, I mean around the FRP tube and then back around the mast, then looped around the other side and back the opposite direction so as to immobilise the tube sideways. (so not wrapped around the whole mast as one, that come later) It was then peel-plied, just like the top one.
1658399422279.png

That was allowed to cure, and then cleaned up, then I wrapped around the whole mast/tube as one, lashing it on.

I will share those photos with you tomorrow.

People have questioned the strength. I used Basalt because it not as brittle as carbon, so in those mad gybes, it's not a issue. MPa of basalt is around 485, MPa of SS (316) is around 240, so double. so for every 1mm of basalt, it equivalent to 2mm of SS (approx).

I have now finished of the "lashing" and it's curing, tomorrow I hope to tart it up, and I will share photos with you.

Very very simple, should be amazingly strong, and stupidly light.

Until tomorrow, jB

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
I owe you an update

1658648852934.png

1658648899757.png

Hull all fared, primer on, it's come up very well, final color with be charcoal grey!
Just thought I would share this.
1658648986265.png

The rudder sits in here, so the LE is about 40mm infront of the pin.
We used a circular fence (125mm Dia) that fits inside the recess so the water can't "rooster tail".

Really good upwind, smaller rudder size, downwind is not such a big advantages (other than smaller rudder size)
Zero ventilation, really good grip, smaller rudder, has to be positive! (we did this on the 18teens)

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Up-date on the up-date. Heading to Brissy on the 5th to get the boat. Issue has been the foil moulds, they have been over-looked somewhat.

My issue is that I fly to Hammo and onto Arlie on the 11th so very few days to pay with her before I get on the Kerosene canary.
Then I have a wedding in September, so another weekend goooooneeeeee!

I sort of have to be sailing in September, but that will take a mammoth effort.

allweather

baltic
We used a circular fence (125mm Dia) that fits inside the recess so the water can't "rooster tail".
Took me some time to picture that, so looking forward to the real deal.
How are you going to insert it? Because you can't pull it out like the 49er from the top and would have to drop it due to the plate, right?
Or well, I suppose just pulling the pin for the stock would work easily.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Today we made the decision to delay picking up the boat until after Arlie Beach.
Yes disappointed as want to get her sailing but, the flow effects of the rain have meant that we would have rushed it and that never ends well.

Makes my next 2 weeks a lot simpler, even if the 3-4 weeks following Arlie will be even more manic.

I will send photos when I can.

jB

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
The upside, today I received the 2022-23 sailing program.
19, Super 30 races on the harbor, so we are likely to be busy boys and de-bugging the beast will be at a frantic pace.
Downside is the first is Sept 17, and I doubt we will make that.
2nd is a week later, (24th) that will also be a big call.
3rd is Oct 8th, and that I should be able to make that.
Got to go back OS 12th Oct so I will miss the 21st, but I'm sure the boys will venture out.

Mast is progressing, next week we will pull the sails out of the bag and see what we actually have, that should be fun.