89er

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
1670395748547.png

Jib is back from Tassie, it's the #1, unlikely to see the #2 until after Christmas.
But we will throw this up Thursday and see what it looks like.
1670395844475.png

Plus foils now have a good enough surface to go sailing.
Bulb is also pretty yellow/orange, so tomorrow will be a big day at RANSA, getting it all together.

Alex and Jack are meeting me at 4ish to do some final stuff that needs 2-3 people.
Sailing Saturday, hopefully.

allweather

baltic
Other big plus, boat has not groaned or cracked or bent.
That's always good. :D(currently hunting down why my keelboat makes noises, or well, have a professional do so)

Plus foils now have a good enough surface to go sailing.
With which you mean the strangely wavy effects with the reflections but it's all sealed up and usable?
How did you put it last, 80-90% there and the rest is busy work for perfection?

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
So the re-built jib is back unpacked, re battened and been up on the boat and looks great.

1670492619070.png

Even sheets OK.

The foils are remarkably fair, rudder has a few minor imperfections towards the tip, and maybe they will dissapear if I shorten it by 100-150mm, time will tell.
But I am very anal about foils and there interaction with the boat, so they will go backwards and forwards over the next weeks/months and go from something with dust and a few pin-holes to something I can be proud of pre-Port Linclon.

Boat may get wet tomorrow (Friday), just making sure thning like the fin goes up and down, it dose not leak and floats, yad yad yad.

Un-fortunatly, Saturday is looking doubtfull, GT has had Cararacts so is out of action for a week, Jack was a no show, Alex and Rob are keen, just need to find another, could be light on Saturday which is perfcet for a shake down sail. GT and I will make a decision at coffee in the moring.

He want's to come play tomorrow, but is a pirate at the moment (patch over one eye).

It (GT and eye surgery) is all about night driving Don't Panic around Australia.

Dedication!

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
#2 jib all returned to be via the post, really appreciative.
1671014884977.png

I owe some photos of the Jib Clew and the Carbon bar and webbing straps
1671014792075.png

RHS you can see my hand under the lower webbing sprap, you feed the jib sheet in and under this, it attaches to the dynema loop you can see in the middle, I have whipped them together so I can never loose them.

1671014846152.png

Lots of notches to be able to adjust possitioning, pretty happy with the system, pretty std on the 18teens.

So what happening.
Constrictor dose not like Dynema, so had to replace the main halyard with a std 6mm rope braid with a dynema core, did a simple loop at the top but otherwise the constrictor grabs the 6mm well with probably less than 30mm of slip, so 15mm (its 2:1 halyard) of drop once you have hoisted and I can live with that.
Jibs being a tad big sort fo screwed it. But they are now perfcet.
D1 attachment is really sweet so much so, Cave Man Cam brough my other 2 off me.

Then it silly season (Christmas) so people availability has been problematic

Anyway, very hopfull of a early Sat morning shake down sail.

Sir JJ (Jyrki Järvi, [FIN] won the GM in Syd in 49er) has just taken up residence down stairs in my house so between him and the Japaness 49er team in particular I have a on-call team of bloody good sailors to go playing post Sunday (when SailSyd is over) so it just may all be coming together at a very late stage, 14 months almost.
Nicky (my sister) is back Monday Tuesday, so all looking good!

Tommorow, big day, may even get wet but not sailing, just need to make sure the fin goes down the slot, rudder fits that sort of shit.

Probably pull the main up, cut some ropes, yad yad yad. Just a dry run.

Wife has the bottle of Verve ready, so let you all know shortly!

jB

allweather

baltic
Lots of notches to be able to adjust possitioning, pretty happy with the system, pretty std on the 18teens.
That looks quite a bit tidier than on (my old) 49er clews and lighter, very nice to simply use notches. Now if only carbon sheets weren't pricey... I suppose glass would be heavier but okay...

And don't I know that feeling about losing small bits on board? Took some time learning to sew things on or secure them with fishing line in case of shackles.
In particular had to replace a low friction ring for the main 2:1(so much lighter!)

Constrictor dose not like Dynema,
Too slippery? That makes sense, but somehow I expected it to still work considering that's how splices are made... So you simply went to an equivalent covered rope up to the reef?

Probably pull the main up, cut some ropes, yad yad yad. Just a dry run.
Just a test, sure.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
The constrictor gripped the dynema but it took 150mm to do so, that was not good enough. Not sure what would have happened under continuous hi load, so I just switched it out.
Std 6mm braid seems superior.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Big day, try and keep it in order.
Few request re the D1 anchor, I really like KISS, and it dose not get much more KISS than this, Ti milling with 3 x M5 Ti MT into Ti backing packing plates. Works a treat.

1671085883321.png

1671085859385.png

1671085715577.png

Owed a Jib sheet photo of the jib sheet. This is the #2 jib, still amazed at Andy/Doyles comitment, really exceptional (and no they are not paying me)

1671086365112.png

Just prior to hitting the water for the first time.

1671085972889.png

Boat actually floats, we needed to make sure the fin went down, rudder fitted. That's Darcy hanging on, a GT photo, me looking fit. It's very stable, very sure now we can reduce the Bulb Weight, but a month of sailing first!

1671085925530.png

GT playing with the Main, looks great, Cap shroud adjustment really works well, vang, outhaul, downhaul all work, mainsheet will take a while to get use to (I have a 2:1 corse that automatically goes to 4:1 once you get towards hard on, I will do a photo of that, but you need to get your head around the switch over, but it also works. Nicky says it's a game changer.
But we can go from full to flat easily, whole thing works, credit to Andy.

1671085754356.png

#2 jib all set up, few wrinkles, but they will blow out.

So the plan, Saturady is fresh, but there is a 3 hr gap in the morning were it gose from 10 knts to 16knts, so we are targeting that. Also allows Deidre (my far better 1/2) to sprinkle some yellow stuff on the bow, (very little, why waste it). GT is on the case of crew, Alex (my son) will be one, but hopefully we will do more than just get it wet for 10 mins.

Very happy boy, it floats, truly amazing!

Even going to stick the boat rego number on, 42AN, aint that a treat!

jB

gazasmith

Julian
mainsheet will take a while to get use to (I have a 2:1 corse that automatically goes to 4:1 once you get towards hard on

this sounds interesting love to see how you have done it.

are you planning ASBA nats in Feb Vivace is entering.

your deck will be very hot at Airlie, even in August the solar oven is working.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Julian
mainsheet will take a while to get use to (I have a 2:1 corse that automatically goes to 4:1 once you get towards hard on

are you planning ASBA nats in Feb Vivace is entering.

Photos coming of the 2:1 / 4:1 system, but got to see if it works yet.

Nat's they have moved them so there is less than a day between Port Lincoln and Brisbane.
Add to that, I may need to be at Farnbourgh (UK) on the 25th.

So we are doing PL, accom booked, restaurants booked, crew is very keen, at last count Skeeter was doing PL also. They may change, but Stu seem fairly pumped to do PL.

I still need to book a flight out of PL late on the 23rd to get into Heathrow early on the 25th. And yes it can be done.

Techtoy

Auckland
Big day, try and keep it in order.
Few request re the D1 anchor, I really like KISS, and it dose not get much more KISS than this, Ti milling with 3 x M5 Ti MT into Ti backing packing plates. Works a treat.

View attachment 559960

View attachment 559959

View attachment 559957
Owed a Jib sheet photo of the jib sheet. This is the #2 jib, still amazed at Andy/Doyles comitment, really exceptional (and no they are not paying me)

View attachment 559963
Just prior to hitting the water for the first time.

View attachment 559962

Boat actually floats, we needed to make sure the fin went down, rudder fitted. That's Darcy hanging on, a GT photo, me looking fit. It's very stable, very sure now we can reduce the Bulb Weight, but a month of sailing first!

View attachment 559961

GT playing with the Main, looks great, Cap shroud adjustment really works well, vang, outhaul, downhaul all work, mainsheet will take a while to get use to (I have a 2:1 corse that automatically goes to 4:1 once you get towards hard on, I will do a photo of that, but you need to get your head around the switch over, but it also works. Nicky says it's a game changer.
But we can go from full to flat easily, whole thing works, credit to Andy.

View attachment 559958

#2 jib all set up, few wrinkles, but they will blow out.

So the plan, Saturady is fresh, but there is a 3 hr gap in the morning were it gose from 10 knts to 16knts, so we are targeting that. Also allows Deidre (my far better 1/2) to sprinkle some yellow stuff on the bow, (very little, why waste it). GT is on the case of crew, Alex (my son) will be one, but hopefully we will do more than just get it wet for 10 mins.

Very happy boy, it floats, truly amazing!

Even going to stick the boat rego number on, 42AN, aint that a treat!

jB
What is the logic used to determine the spreader heights? It might be a bit of an illusion in the photo but the lower spreader looks relatively high? I guess the d1s mean it can be set higher?