8mR racing in Helsinki this summer, tips, advice, etc

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
Hello all,

This summer, I'll be racing a classic 8mR in Helsinki during the world cup there. However, i have never sailed there as my main ground is NL/UK (solent) based.

So, if you have any tips regarding helsinki and the sailing there, let me know.

I am hoping to find something like this as well.

sbt.jpg

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
Thanks, I know the event website and all, I am looking for some inside info. The girls actually are swedish, but there are very limited results for finnish bikini team. If there are, feel free to post them (finland bikini did however post a lot of results).

are there any tactical issues to look out for? boat will be transported (by road) somewhere during summer for a trainingsregatta before the worlds. is there a nice weekend regatta in june/july?

forss

Anarchist
There aren't that many sexy girls as compared to its neighbours Sweden and Estonia.

But otherwise sailing is great there and Cardinal Marks are there for reason, even for small yachts, if you sail outside of the racecourse :D

pin head

Anarchist
I'll ask Turbo Joe aka "the 8M prick" to chime in. Joe's a Former 8M World Cup (intergalatic?) champion who knows the know.

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
haha, yes!

Last year the worlds were at the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes. Brilliant, though the wind was above the topend (25-30kts). but the drinks at the squadron were always nice!

Sharpend

You are in for treat. Beautiful location and city. Tactically could not be more different to Cowes. No tide at all (water levels change due to barometric pressure only so down in a high, up in a low) and predominantly light winds.

Also under no circumstances attempt to go drink for drink with the Finns.

tema

Finland
Cannot highlight enought the importance of navigation. Drinks on the rocks are ok, racing not so much. Not really difficult to navigate, charts are good so you're ok if you pay attention, but when forgotton mishaps do occur... Little room for error in many place.

I live in Helsinki and would be happy to answer any specific questions... it's true there are many rocks, skerries, islets and islands here. In fact, i think the Finnish coast has something like 2/3 of all navigational markers in the world. However, the charts are very good and most rocks are clearly marked. The absence of tides also makes navigation a breeze.

You might want to consider the Hanko Regatta as a warm-up in early July prior to the worlds. There are usually plenty of Dragons, Meter boats and Skerry-cruisers there.

It might get very, very light. As said, there is no current. The wind usually veers westward with the sun in the afternoon.

At 8mR time, the girls return to town from their summer holidays spent in their mom and pop cottage, so they will be smoking.

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
thanks guys! I've sent the Hanko regatta to the owner, so he can think about it. it involves sailing to helsinki then as well, as de- and rerigging will be a pita in such a short period.

Will any of you be there?