a 32.1 foot Austrian mystery

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
I'm having a bit of cognitive dissonance here - trying to figure out how Sunbeam have (reportedly) sold 30 of these 200k+ boats. Maybe its a lake thing..

it honestly sounds like Toby's skin is crawling the entire time he is reviewing this thing:

It looks like it sails well, and has a nice sail plan. but the interior feels spare, unwelcoming, and not very comfortable. Plus small. and that beak. well..

more here: https://www.sunbeam-yachts.com/en/yachts/sunbeam-32-1/

Last edited by a moderator:

Knut Grotzki

Anarchist
Germany
Well - read the design brief. Sure a "lake thing" and not an Open Class 30. But with many interesting new solutions. Remember when Beneteau showed the "shocking" open space design inside the 35 some years ago:

beneteau-oceanis-35-saloon_499x374.jpg

Now everybody wants to get rid of the cramped and unventilated forecabin. Privacy areas are mostly a joke on small yachts anyway. And to be honest - how often do you sail with others which are total strangers? On the other side such "loft-like" interiors are not the most seaworthy solutions but as the majority of such boats is used as marina condo anyway...

Sunbeam transfored this idea for European lakes.

Yachten-Sunbeam-32-1-9-620x760.jpg

The table is joke and the color scheme - lets put it like this "owner´s / admiral´s choice".  Available space - its 32 ft with emphasis on the outside. Have a look at the cockpit - more like a 38 ft:

Yachten-Sunbeam-32-1-2-620x760.jpg

With days like this the design will fully meet the brief:

Yachten-Sunbeam-32-1-4-620x760.jpg

With sun shading being a must today - a good (light weight) solution like the anchoring system and many other good details.. I am sure it will sell well with proud owners...

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
Two wheels but only one rudder?  They missed the point there.  Rig could have been carbon to go with that nice main.  The bow has space like a much larger boat due to the forward overhang.  That glass, flat panel on the bow, grrr, it already has those weird bow eyes, no reason for that glass panel on the forward topside.  Do something nice than that glass panel, put a carbon rig on it, and double the rudders and I like it for the cruiser class start.

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
Two wheels but only one rudder?  They missed the point there.  Rig could have been carbon to go with that nice main.  The bow has space like a much larger boat due to the forward overhang.  That glass, flat panel on the bow, grrr, it already has those weird bow eyes, no reason for that glass panel on the forward topside.  Do something nice than that glass panel, put a carbon rig on it, and double the rudders and I like it for the cruiser class start.
The target audience doesn't care about carbon rigs.   Two wheels are pretty standard these days and a single rudder is cheaper than two.   And the boat will be easier to dock with a single rudder directly behind the propeller.

I'm surprised that the boat is as narrow as it is at 9' - 9".   I would have expected around a 11 foot beam.

kinardly

Super Anarchist
I crewed on a friend’s recent twin wheel-broad, open cockpit boat last month and was surprised how hard it was to make it up to the high side after trimming the Genoa during a tack. Kind of the same problem as trying to get from the chart table to the galley down below. I’d been looking forward to it and was a little disappointed. 

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I crewed on a friend’s recent twin wheel-broad, open cockpit boat last month and was surprised how hard it was to make it up to the high side after trimming the Genoa during a tack. Kind of the same problem as trying to get from the chart table to the galley down below. I’d been looking forward to it and was a little disappointed. 
Ease the main a few inches in the traveller.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Now try getting to the high side after you’ve laid it over on its side. That’s when it gets really funny. I LOVE the big open cockpit on my boat except when we’re pinned on our side. Good non skid fixes everything else. 

kinardly

Super Anarchist
Now try getting to the high side after you’ve laid it over on its side. That’s when it gets really funny. I LOVE the big open cockpit on my boat except when we’re pinned on our side. Good non skid fixes everything else. 
Yeah, that’s the scenario I’m talking about. Long way to climb uphill. 

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
There must be a LOT of weight in this thing's arse given where the engine is placed, the motorised swim platform and (presumably) tankage. And a bow thruster on a 32'... :D

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
that's not clear to me. it is definitely a strange bow architecture - targeting sunbathers (I suppose?) - but definitely not the foredeck crew..

Naah...it's an IOR thing.

Bow is reminiscent of Stephen Jones QT Oddjob dating back 50 years ago

post-12572-076465800 1319177063.jpg

post-12572-086874500 1319176777.jpg

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
completely selfish request - does anybody know anything about these awesome looking integrated lifeline / backrests?

View attachment 496280
Those were on my 27 footer some 35 years ago.  Extremely comfortable - but being a 27 footer only single lifelines.  Not sure if the same applies to double lines.

IIRC, they were seatbelt material using D-rings to connect and more highly tensioned - those look pretty slack.

I don't believe they meet category for offshore.  Not sure if that was true 35 years ago - but I never distance raced in that boat and was never protested for them.